Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 dave1984

I have an Astec alarm installed and it has a battery problem. Can i change the battery myself without any problems popping up, when i open the panel is it going to look for my code or the eng. code which i dont have?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dave1984 wrote: »
    I have an Astec alarm installed and it has a battery problem. Can i change the battery myself without any problems popping up, when i open the panel is it going to look for my code or the eng. code which i dont have?

Yes it should do all those things, but you can just get a battery for about €20 open the box, put up with the alarm going off and clip the battery in, its simple red is the positive + and black is the negative - . it's just two clip on connections and follow the colours of the old battery. when you are finsihed fix the panel door back on, just use your code to turn it off. Remember there is still 220Vac in the box, so you should know when it is and how to power it off, but this will not stop the outside bell.

Remember to dispose of the old battery in an environmentally way !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

1) Turn off the mains power to the panel. This can be done by removing the fuse for the panel. This is near the orange neon light. A small flat screw driver will do. The orange neon light on the panel should go off. Take the top cover off. This is done by turning the 2 large plastic screws anticlockwise 1/4 turn (until they are vertical).

2) When the lid is removed the alarm will go off!! The keypad may show a fault, but ignore that. There is a small battery link that you can pull off and it will disconnect the battery from the panel. It is near the terminals on the top right of the PCB. The outside bell box will go off when this is removed, but the inside siren will stop sounding.

3) Unsrew the small philips head screws that hold on the bottom cover. You will need a long thin philips screw driver for this. One of these screws is behind a sticker that says something like "warrenty void if removed".

4) When the bottom cover is removed you will notice small philips screws that hold on the PCB to the main enclosure. Unscrew them and very carefully let the PCB hang on all the cables that are connected to it.

5) Unplug the battery terminals.

6) Cut the tie wrap that holds the battery in place.

7) Replace battery and reverse this procedure.

8) Once the new battery is connected the panel will go into alarm. Simply type in the user code to stop the alarm.

9) The keypad may say low battery for a few hours. This is normal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thought I'd give this a go as a sticky.

The aim of the thread is to keep the security/intruder alarm questions in the one place, i.e. the "can i change the battery on my panel ?" type questions.
    As the common Q&A pop up, I'll include them in here.

Input from Allabaah
    Allabaah wrote: »
    I seached the web looking for the Aritech Alarm manuals which I found and more at the following site

http://www.guardianalarms.net/home_security_manuals/home_security_manuals_aritech.htm

This will go a long way to resolving some of the recently posted items on the Aritech and hopefully others as well.

• Advertisement

Note this is for an Astec panel)

Question:

Can I change the battery on an alarm panel, input from fishdog

1) Turn off the mains power to the panel. This can be done by removing the fuse for the panel. This is near the orange neon light. A small flat screw driver will do. The orange neon light on the panel should go off. Take the top cover off. This is done by turning the 2 large plastic screws anticlockwise 1/4 turn (until they are vertical).

2) When the lid is removed the alarm will go off!! The keypad may show a fault, but ignore that. There is a small battery link that you can pull off and it will disconnect the battery from the panel. It is near the terminals on the top right of the PCB. The outside bell box will go off when this is removed, but the inside siren will stop sounding.

3) Unsrew the small philips head screws that hold on the bottom cover. You will need a long thin philips screw driver for this. One of these screws is behind a sticker that says something like "warrenty void if removed".

4) When the bottom cover is removed you will notice small philips screws that hold on the PCB to the main enclosure. Unscrew them and very carefully let the PCB hang on all the cables that are connected to it.

5) Unplug the battery terminals.

6) Cut the tie wrap that holds the battery in place.

7) Replace battery and reverse this procedure.

8) Once the new battery is connected the panel will go into alarm. Simply type in the user code to stop the alarm.

9) The keypad may say low battery for a few hours. This is normal

Question:

GSM v Digidialler options to activate & deactivate alarm remotely from a mobile Phone

Jnealon wrote: »
    I've had good results with the HKC GSM unit. You simply text the panel with your code followed by set, unset, status etc and it does the rest. It comes with an 02 card but you can grt your own pre pay card for it.
    Alternatively if you have wireless broadband and an ATA you could use the pstn digi with blue face or something similar
    koolkid wrote: »
    take a look at the New Europlex Signet a little more expensive but the Signet 200 & 300 have IP as well as GSM & wirless modules. With a web server built in you have full access from your mobile browser as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great post fishdog! I have one of these alarms, at the time it was considered the "beesknees" of alarms (so i was told), how do they rate now? I have mine installed over 7 years....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are still pretty good but thier new panel Fusion is going to make them look very dated.

how do they rate now?

They may be a bit dated, but if properly installed they can provide very comprehensive protection. Many would say that other panels are better, such as the HKC. This is true in certain respects, but for a house the Astec has more features than most people will ever use. If it was a very large commercial premises only then would I consider something more substantial.
    new panel Fusion is going to make them look very dated

This is true. The new system would be over kill for most houses, but it would look quite sexy :D If you want to make your home alarm system more secure I would not change from an Astec, I would spend the money on a GSM unit.

I have seen the standard 63D and 43D Astec alarms installed in Registerered Firearms Dealers premises that contain some pretty serious hardware!! I was recently looking at the alarm requirements a new gun shop and all of the requirements could easily be met by Astec, HKC and Aritech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

fishdog wrote: »
    . The new system would be over kill for most houses,
    Why do you rekon that?
    The ability to mix Aztec & global devices, Text dialling as standard with ARC reporting. Large 3 line disply with 4 direct entry keys.
    This is ideal for domestic use. We are now using this as the standard system for all domestic installations.
    On the commercial side the ability to add 30 PiRs without the need for a seperate power supply makes this panel a true all rounder. HKC watch out.

Koolkid:
    Why do you rekon that?
    Because most home owners want an alarm that they can simply fully arm and maybe part set. Many dont even see the importance of dialler. The fact that this new panel can even do all of this:
    The ability to mix Aztec & global devices, Text dialling as standard with ARC reporting. Large 3 line disply with 4 direct entry keys.
    This is ideal for domestic use.
    Is of little interest to most people. The benifits of this improved system would never be used by most people (but not all). Given the choice many would prefer to pay less and get one of the older systems.

The standard Astec systems are still great and have many features that most people that have these systems never use/ want/ remember/ bother with such as duress codes, 24 hour zones, smoke detectors, heat detectors, mains relay module, technical zones, extra keypads, sounders etc. All of this with 6 zones and 3 PIRs, this is loads for most houses and most people!

My mother would be typical of these people! She just wants to turn it on and off, even part set took a few years for her to get her head around! I have to drop around each time she rents a DVD! I was thinking of having a simple on/off switch instead of a keypad. The standard Astecs can do that too!

I installed an alarm for an old woman about 5 years ago, when I saw her the other day I said "How is the alarm??" "Great" she said. "I told you that you would get the hang of it" says I. "Sure I have never turned it on" she replied!!! This is typical of many people with alarms I have found. What benifit would she get from this new more expensive panel?? She is not alone either!

I agree with this:
    On the commercial side the ability to add 30 PiRs without the need for a seperate power supply makes this panel a true all rounder. HKC watch out.
    But that is nothing to do with domestic.

I think the new panel is great. In fact I got a sneak preview of it and started a thread here all about it before it was on the market. It is the best system that Astec has brought out to date. But I still think it is over kill for most houses. That does not mean that I dont think it is up to the job and if people want you to install it, great!

Koolkid:

Because most home owners want an alarm that they can simply fully arm and maybe part set. Many dont even see the importance of dialler.
    You seem to have a strange customer base.
    Everyone I talk to wants some sort of monitoring, especially if its free!!
    Given the choice many would prefer to pay less and get one of the older systems.
    As opposed to paying the same & getting more?????
    The standard Astec systems are still great and have many features that most people that have these systems never use
    It is also 12 year old technology , time to move on. Your not still installing Vista 5s are you?
    I installed an alarm for an old woman about 5 years ago, when I saw her the other day I said "How is the alarm??" "Great" she said. "I told you that you would get the hang of it" says I. "Sure I have never turned it on" she replied!!! This is typical of many people with alarms I have found. What benifit would she get from this new more expensive panel??
    What benefit would you get from any alarm if you dont turn it on????

According to the manufactures of the new panel it is designed primarily for commercial premises. Most of the extra features were designed with this in mind. This is why I feel it is over kill.
    You seem to have a strange customer base.
    What is your point? I installed many alarm systems for many people. Some were strange, most were not.
    Everyone I talk to wants some sort of monitoring, especially if its free!!
    Yes once you talk to them! I find this too, once explained nearly everyone seems to want free monitoring rather than paying a middle man (monitoring station).
    As opposed to paying the same & getting more?????
    If the new panel is the same price then it is a no brainer. I was told the new panel would cost more, I have never bought one.

The customer is king so like I said before:
    That does not mean that I dont think it is up to the job and if people want you to install it, great!
    What benefit would you get from any alarm if you dont turn it on????
    None IMHO. I can only advise, people do what they want, it is a free country.
    Your not still installing Vista 5s are you?
    I am not installing any alarms anymore. When I did I installed the ones that I felt were most suited to the customer. I made my money and they were happy! Some asked for over kill and I put it in, but it did not change the fact that it was over kill!

I find this too, once explained everyone seems to want free monitoring rather than paying a middle man (monitoring station).

That kind contradicts this

Because most home owners want an alarm that they can simply fully arm and maybe part set. Many dont even see the importance of dialler.

Not really, because once things are explained to people they often change their minds!

Hey look this is off topic. I agree with you on a lot of things:
    1) It is a better panel
    2) If the customer wants it and is willing to pay, install it
    3) If it is the same price as the standard (I am surprised) install it
    4) Diallers (of some sort) are a must
    5) An alarm is only good if you use it
    I think it is over kill, you dont. Life is too short:)

If you do not install systems anymore I would presume you are not PSA licenced. In which case I would advise people to be wary of your recommendations. You are clearly not up to date with the latest systems. You were not even aware of the pricing of the Fusion System..
    To reiterate...
    All installers must now be PSA licenced
    It is illegal to employ the services of unlicenced installers.

I would presume you are not PSA licenced
    I am not PSA licenced and I never claimed to be.

There are no technical qualifications required at all to join the PSA. I would also think that if someone was trying to imply that by being in the PSA means that they are more technically competent than someone who is not would be misleading and unethical.

I would advise people to be wary of your recommendations.
    Thats not nice!
    I have worked as a qualified electrician/instrumentation technician/foreman full time for over 10 years in Ireland and abroad, I am in the final year of a full time electrical engineering degree. As well as that I have installed 100s of alarm systems, (some of which were inspected and passed by the Gardai) I think this qualifies me to comment on alarm systems.

I would also point out that as someone that is not trying to sell alarm systems I can claim to give unbiased advice too.
    In which case I would advise people to be wary of your recommendations.
    I also note that you appear to agree with most of my main points, should people be wary of this too?:
    1) It is a better panel
    All installers must now be PSA licenced
    To clarify, it is ilegal to pay someone not in the PSA to install an alarm. It is not ilegal to get advice from someone that is not in the PSA or to buy alarm equipment from them.

Also non members can install alarm systems in their own home(s) or those of relitives for no fee.

I am told that members of the Gardai do not have to be members of the PSA to install alarm equipment, but I am open to correction on this.
    You were not even aware of the pricing of the Fusion System
    The pricing of a system has no bearing on the fact that it may or may not be over kill! Even if it is free it may still be over kill!
    You are clearly not up to date with the latest systems
    I started a thread here on this system before it was oficially launched!

I am not PSA licenced and I never claimed to be.

There are no technical qualifications required at all to join the PSA. I would also think that if someone was trying to imply that by being in the PSA means that they are more technically competent than someone who is not would be misleading and unethical.
    Being licenced by the NSAI is a requirement for a PSA licence.
    It is the NSAI who judge if you are technically competent via regular inspections.
    I would also point out that as someone that is not trying to sell alarm systems I can claim to give unbiased advice too.
    But you don't , reading back trough your post you regularly attack those who dont agree with you. Have you installed or used the Fusion panel we are talking about?
    It is hard to give unbaised opinions when you keep referring back to 12 year old panels. If I went to buy a TV I dont think I would trust the guy telling me how great this TV with manual tuning & a big tube is..

The pricing of a system has no bearing on the fact that it may or may not be over kill! Even if it is free it may still be over kill!

Sorry , but when advising people on what alarm to choose value & features would be a major factor. Hence why nobody still installs Vista 5 s or Horizon panels etc.. If you were to apply this overkill attidute to everything we would still be living in caves

This is a fact:
    There are no technical qualifications required at all to join the PSA
    If you say this is incorrect please list the qualification.
    reading back trough your post you regularly attack those who dont agree with you
    It is called an opinion that happens to be based on many years of experience and many recognised qualifications.
    What is your opinion based on?

I repeat:
    If it is the same price as the standard (I am surprised) install it
    but when advising people on what alarm to choose value & features would be a major factor
    See above. That still does not mean it is not over kill

Over kill is like "over engineered" which is so much better than not being up to the job. No big deal, it is like saying it is too good for the job. How can you make such a big deal of what a complement to the Fusion panel?? Even Astec told me it was designed for commercial use! Do you know better than the people that make the panel???
    12 year old panels
    You mean the panels that are still being installed by PSA members?? That still have valid certifictaes??? That still perform!
    Should all of the standard Astec panels now be replaced in your view?? If so why???If not why not???
    A few months ago they were Astec's most modern panel on the market, now you compare them to caves!!!

The Fusion is not exactly popular, it is too new to be popular! I am sue it will be popular in time.
    It is hard to give unbaised opinions when you keep referring back to 12 year old panels
    Err sorry but...the Fusion panel has only been released in the last few months!!!!
    Up until then the standard panel was Astec's newest!!!

But suddenly it seems that you have decided that anyone that has not installed the Fusion is
    not up to date with the latest systems
    or perhaps they just want to see how it performs???

• Advertisement

This is a fact:

If you say this is incorrect please list the qualification.

What I said was..
    Being licenced by the NSAI is a requirement for a PSA licence.
    It is the NSAI who judge if you are technically competent via regular inspections.

It is called an opinion that happens to be based on many years of experience and many recognised qualifications.
    Qualifications???? you just said they wen't required....
    My opinions are based on 25 years experience in the industry. Hands on practical work. Over that time my work is regularly inspected & certified by the NSAI.

Over kill is like "over engineered" which is so much better than not being up to the job. No big deal, it is like saying it is too good for the job. How can you make such a big deal of what a complement to the Fusion panel?? Even Astec told me it was designed for commercial use! Do you know better than the people that make the panel???

Astec told you??? Or someone in Astec told you??
    Define a commercial panel?
    Have you never installed a CD95 in a domestic property?
    Have you never installed a HKC 16/120 in a domestic property?
    I was in discussion with Frank, Ken & Tony all during the R&D of that panel, so I would confidently say I know pretty much the same as they do about the panel ,

Anything I post here is my opinion based on my years of experience installing licenced ,certified systems, not doing a few basic nixers as basic as possible with the easiest equipment. I give customers value for money with extra features for the same price. Thats not overkill.
    We are way off topic here. Apologies to the OP.
    But I feel I need to defend myself & explain on what merit my opinions & advice as based.

As said before:
    Hey look this is off topic. I agree with you on a lot of things:
    1) It is a better panel
    I think it is over kill, you dont. Life is too short

When was the Fusion panel officially launched?

"Over kill" seems to be only point we disagree on in this thread.

What do you think over kill means?
    you just said they wen't required....
    I did.

You tried to discredit me so I pointed out why I should be entitled to give recommendations, just as you pointed out why you should be able as well!
    So to clarify no qualifications at all are required to install alarm systems or to be in the PSA.
    This would mean then that a reccomendation from a PSA installer should carry no more weight than a non-member!

I am told that the NSAI have never thrown a member out for poor standards!
    Perhaps you can correct me??

That does not make you an installer. That makes you an odd job man!
    I have been called worse!

I do a bit of woodwork, painting and plumbing too so I guess I may be a bit of an odd job man at times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

Hi,

Looking a putting an alarm in my house. Just looking at 4 PIR sensors control panel and bell box for inside and outside. Not going to bother with door or window sensors

Got a quote from one installer of 850 for a visonic system. Never heard of these before so anyone got any feedback on this system.

Also if I decided to install one myself does anyone know anywhere around ennis/limerick where I could buy the equipment.

Lastly has anyone got an alarm installed around ennis lately. Who installed it and what did you think of the service.

Thanks

Take a look at the Astec system. Very straight forward if you want to install it yourself.
    €850 is not a bad price , I presume you property is not wired if you a thinking of just PiRs.
    Check out
    Ennis Electrical
    Parnell st Ennis Co. Clare
    (065)6828640
    There is a map here

Probobly best to move this to electrical

Thanks Koolkid
    Was looking through the forums here and the Astec doesn't get great reviews.
    Aritech seems to be poular. Installing it myself is definitely an option.

The house is not wired. So if I use wireless PIRS and a wireless keypad all I will need to wire up in the Bell Box. Programming teh system shouldn't be a big deal as I work in IT so hoepfully should be bale to handle it.

My main problem is where can I order teh stuff and what exactly do I need to order.

Don't think Ennis Electrical will stock alarms. As far as i can remmber its mainly tvs washing machines etc kind of shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭meep

Don't think it counts on your insurance if you DIY install. I did my own and know I can't get the alarm discount on my policy.

I'm not well up on that part of the world sorry. But any electrical wholesaler will point you in the right direction if they dont stock alarms themselves.
    If you are installing yourself Astec is the best way to go trust me.
    We have been installing astec for the past 11 years , the panels are very reliable, most problems are bad installers. Astec is a lot less forgiving of bad connections thats all.
    Give them a ring & 016704201 Im sure they could tell you some stockist local to you.

meep - Not worried about the insurance as I will not be puuting mentioning alarm when I am renewing so then it shouldn't affect it. Only wnat alarm as a deterent.

Koolkid - Sure I will give them a ring and see what they say. In relation to the Astec can you get a wireless Keypad.

Any idea of price for
    Control Panel
    Wireless Keypad
    Internal Bell Box
    External Bell Box
    4 or 5 PIRS
    Cable for Belbox

Thanks for all the info on this. Might save me a few euro coming up to christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

meep wrote: »
    Don't think it counts on your insurance if you DIY install. I did my own and know I can't get the alarm discount on my policy.

I think that putting an alarm for insurance discount purposes is false economy.
    Two Main Reasons:

1. It must be "serviced" every two years. This usually costs as much as the discount you are getting

2. If you tel your insurance company that you have an alarm & wish to avail of discount as a result then you must use the alarm religiously. So if your home is burgled in this instance with no alarm set then the insurance company could argue that the alarm had not been set so there is reduced or no insurance cover.
    Investigate both of the items above before for yourself before you make your decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement