Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, you're officially long term unemployed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

yore wrote: »
    That's perfectly reasonable. There's no point doing an ECDL if you have done a degree in Computer Science etc.

Although sometimes if you want to change field, you might have to start at the bottom with a basic course, so I wouldn't rule it out. Neither would I say that those courses are not good. I mentioned ECDL above. There's nothing wrong with doing it if you have little or no experience with computers.

yes of course, and considering an office junior /admin job, I was thinking of taking on one of their courses in that. waiting on an interview next week to see if i just give up on my area altogether or not. then i might do that course.

ecdl is extremely basic, only any use to those that have no experience. but i'm sure it's useful to some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Being in wickla I can take nice walks in some of countries most beautiful landscapes, eat random mushrooms and spend the afternoon having intermittent halucinations. Life is great.

Ah sure, at least you are having the craic and not moaning about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

chrismon wrote: »
    Doing Fas courses, applying for jobs, applying for college, preparing for college interviews.
    Keeping fit and trying not to go insane.
    That's about it!

Again fair play. That's the point; you are trying different things. I wish you the best of luck. But once you are willing to try, you will eventually get your foot on the ladder.

(That's not supposed to be condescending now. Some people will probably say that I am trying to be. It's just a positive attitude!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

yes of course, and considering an office junior /admin job, I was thinking of taking on one of their courses in that. waiting on an interview next week to see if i just give up on my area altogether or not. then i might do that course.

ecdl is extremely basic, only any use to those that have no experience. but i'm sure it's useful to some.

@Stupidusername don't be blind by this hic cup, sit around the dinningroom/kitchen table and consider what you could do, make a list of pros/cons about yourself/or the group, Every Pro must have a con though, sitting around drinking tea and chatting you will find something that will probably fit you like a glouve (slike and satin as well) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I now see pubs are offering interimships for bar managers i always thought you started in a pub as a bar person and worked your way up as i did! so bar managers the market for jobs is crushed by slave labour.

• Advertisement

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    @Stupidusername don't be blind by this hic cup, sit around the dinningroom/kitchen table and consider what you could do, make a list of pros/cons about yourself/or the group, Every Pro must have a con though, sitting around drinking tea and chatting you will find something that will probably fit you like a glouve (slike and satin as well) :)

:confused: what group? Pros and cons for what?

Also one word of advice if ever setting up a business, most Irish people need to be sober, eg creative is fine drunk, concrete agreement needs to be sober, and regardless(how good a friend you our) have a contract written with the person, in who owns what, if the business goes bully up you can still safe your friendship (nothing worse than egos getting in the way of friendship) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

has the government been handing out free lsd in the run up to the referendum or something?

:confused: what group? Pros and cons for what?

I just assumed you were think of alternative of making money, and dozed off, my appologies, sorry :) wishing you all the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*desperately seeks yore's approval*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

for me it was like this

apply for jobs
    wait
    get automated response email acknowledging receiving your applications
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait

as you can see thats pretty soul destroying when companies don't actually send you a personal response.

in the end i took an internship just to get out of the house

That is very true and with all the waiting is a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Even Jesus Christ wouldn't be good enought for the jobs.

I know a few people who rarely had steady jobs in their lives. One is kind of different but intelligent..I think that's why not many people want to give her a chance and the other person has had such bad experiences in the few jobs he had i.e the boss and workers treated him badly no matter how hard he tried to fit in so now he is in fear of having to look for a job because he has low self esteem and confidence from the last jobs he had that he believes hes not good enought.

Well if your different in any way it's a lot harder to get a job. You have to be like everyone else to get a job or fit in with everyone, that's one hidden requirement. You could be friendily with excellent communication skills but they do not like your personality because you think differently or maybe because you are not into drinking and the usually things a 20 somethings should be in to because you are christian or are into volunteering etc.

Anyone who has time to learn a language when unemployed obviously isn't looking for work hard enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its unfair to tar us all with the same brush,there is 14 percent unemployment in ireland.a lot of people have been laid off and there havent been a lot of new jobs advertised..yeah i learned a few new things,done a few courses,even done some volunteer work recently,did a ce term too,not that it came to much in fact,it was one of the worst things to have down on my cv,there is a perception out there amongst interviewers that those with ce experience are mainly dole layabouts..
    free worker scheme didnt benefit me whatsoever and i wouldnt advise it,it consigns communities to even longer mass unemployment,think of it,what multinational will go ahead paying for workers when they can get them for free off of fas/jobridge?they wont.
    http://politico.ie/social-issues/8313-pathways-to-work-or-pathways-to-poverty.html

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Anyone who has time to learn a language when unemployed obviously isn't looking for work hard enough.

Short-sighted Nonsense. It's impractical (and unhealthy) to spend every waking hour of the day on the internet looking for a job. A new language is a great way to keep the mind agile and improve job prospects at the same time.

Great. When did you become "Der Furher" of what people do and do not want to see. If I post it, just don't look at it!

It was an opinion kid. But seriously, you shouldn't post it

Great. When did you become "Der Furher" of what people do and do not want to see. If I post it, just don't look at it!

And by the way can I use the name "Der Furher"?

I like it

its unfair to tar us all with the same brush,there is 14 percent unemployment in ireland.a lot of people have been laid off and there havent been a lot of new jobs advertised..yeah i learned a few new things,done a few courses,even done some volunteer work recently,did a ce term too,not that it came to much in fact,it was one of the worst things to have down on my cv,there is a perception out there amongst interviewers that those with ce experience are mainly dole layabouts..
    free worker scheme didnt benefit me whatsoever and i wouldnt advise it,it consigns communities to even longer mass unemployment,think of it,what multinational will go ahead paying for workers when they can get them for free off of fas/jobridge?they wont.
    http://politico.ie/social-issues/8313-pathways-to-work-or-pathways-to-poverty.html

I used to be long term unemployed I applied for a few CE schemes, there was 3 people interviewing me! for a part-time, admin assistant, min wage job where experience is not necessary.

Those CE are deceiving people they do not give people who are genuinely hardworking a chance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Banditoo

They turk r jibs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I used to be long term unemployed I applied for a few CE schemes, there was 3 people interviewing me! for a part-time, admin assistant, min wage job where experience is not necessary.

Those CE are deceiving people they do not give people who are genuinely hardworking a chance at all.

I,m on a CE scheme at the moment, and I know they are extremely difficult to get on.The one I'm on has given me the chance to return to third level education.

I ,ve also been offered two jobs on the basis of the CE scheme and I ,ve got to decide either to take the jobs or continue in college.

The CE funded most of my third level.

• Advertisement

some people are there to just top up their dole or told their going to be struck off the dole if they dont do a ce scheme.but lately i have been looking at the fas website and its ridiculous,they have advertisments for free labour ce schemes for wiping asses of alzheimers patients,and get this you have to have a b license car so you can drive around(NO EXPENSES PAID)for basically 20 above the dole to drive around like a skivvy..Ive seen ce 'job' adverts for working in multinationals where they have plenty of expendible income,they could afford to take on paid workers but dont.Adverts for selling shoes for no pay.It wouldnt pay you to take one of these ce jobs,where is the pressure from government to force these recession proof businesses to take on paid workers with quangos like FAS and JOBRIDGE blocking the way?

some people are there to just top up their dole or told their going to be struck off the dole if they dont do a ce scheme.but lately i have been looking at the fas website and its ridiculous,they have advertisments for free labour ce schemes for wiping asses of alzheimers patients,and get this you have to have a b license car so you can drive around(NO EXPENSES PAID)for basically 20 above the dole to drive around like a skivvy..Ive seen ce 'job' adverts for working in multinationals where they have plenty of expendible income,they could afford to take on paid workers but dont.Adverts for selling shoes for no pay.It wouldnt pay you to take one of these ce jobs,where is the pressure from government to force these recession proof businesses to take on paid workers with quangos like FAS and JOBRIDGE blocking the way?

Rubbish..... CEs are not forced on you , no multinationals are involved in CE schemes.

CE schemes only operate through community groups or charitys not private employers.

Read my post, I,m on a CE scheme.

''The CE funded most of my third level''..

Ce courses most of them are over ten years old or more,nothing beyond fetac,there are no diploma or degree courses on ce (otherwise,everybody would be doing them,and there would be no trinity or lit students to speak of)and they dont fund third level courses,take a look at the fas website or drop into them,i have and they do not fund third level i know that for a fact.

In my experience(im only speaking for myself and others i have worked with on ce schemes),i have been told aswell by a fas offical off the record that,the hiring rate after the cessation of a ce term ending is very very poor.

''The CE funded most of my third level''..

Ce courses most of them are over ten years old or more,nothing beyond fetac,there are no diploma or degree courses on ce (otherwise,everybody would be doing them,and there would be no trinity or lit students to speak of)and they dont fund third level courses,take a look at the fas website or drop into them,i have and they do not fund third level i know that for a fact.

In my experience(im only speaking for myself and others i have worked with on ce schemes),i have been told aswell by a fas offical off the record that,the hiring rate after the cessation of a ce term ending is very very poor.

Wrong ... I ,ve just completed a cert from the school of social science in UCD and hope to continue to Dip level.... partially funded by fas.

ABSOLUTE BULL**** FAS DONT FUND DIPLOMA COURSES OR DEGREE I EVEN ASKED..FAS AND JOBRIDGE AT BEST AND JOB BLOCKERS AND TIME WASTERS

It boggles the mind why anybody would OUTRIGHTLY DEFEND A FREE LABOUR EXPLOITATION SCHEME..

I have an aunt who worked on one of those schemes and it was the worst thing to happen to her,i have worked one of these ce schemes also,and they suck what could have been a paid job out of the community.

Ive seen care ads that should have paid workers,ive seen shop ads that should have paid workers,ads for waitressing in busy coffee shops etc!

Internships for wiping tables?

They are having a laugh at our expense.

christmas I think you're mixing up internships with CE schemes there.

mattjack wrote: »
    I,m on a CE scheme at the moment, and I know they are extremely difficult to get on.The one I'm on has given me the chance to return to third level education.

I ,ve also been offered two jobs on the basis of the CE scheme and I ,ve got to decide either to take the jobs or continue in college.

The CE funded most of my third level.

So CE scheme fund yout to go to 3rd level? I never heard of that.

I always thought that CE schemes were for the long term unemployed as a stepping stone to prepare people towards a full time job so why are they that difficult to get on??? They should not be difficullt to get on, they should be accessible and available to genuinely hardworking people who need a chance and a bit of confidence.
    I know a girl I mentioned her earlier, shes 24, she didn't go to college, she did a few FAS courses and a FETAC course. She never had a steady job even though she is hardworking and intelligent, she has unemployed long term on and off since past 4 years, she applied for a good few CE schemes but she always got rejected. The thing about CE schemes as they always say that 'experience is not neccessary' if so why do they ask you about experience? Do they not see there are gaps in the CV.

Those CE schemes are a dishonest and deceptive system where there is little to no growth for a person personally and professionally. They don't give jobs to the long term unemplyed people who are hardworking and intelligent.

they cherrypick thats why they dont give them out to the ones who need it,or would tend to be more serious about doing a ce scheme.they shoudnt get away with it either,there should be a system in place where these ce schemes are allocated people instead of letting them do the picking,its an unfair system in place.these free labour schemes are joblockers and are a scam.

• Advertisement

Each CE supervisor has funding to allocate for each participant to further their education.

You either pick or a course is allocated to you if want.

I started of as a maintenance op. for a charity, while there my supervisor asked me to pick something to do.

I picked an MQI cert/dip ran in conjunction with the school of social science in UCD.

I've just completed the first year with an exit option or I can continue to a further level.

Fas have funded most of the first year , apart from one or two costs.

Next year I,m hoping to continue at DIP level depending on funding and passing an interview.

About 10 of 30 or so students in my class are CE.

Advertisement