Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many nappies does one need?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My best friend has just announced that she's pregnant and I'm really excited for her.
    She and her partner are not very financially comfortable so I'm going to try and contribute here and there if I can. The only problem is that I'm as new to all this baby stuff as she is!

When I was in the supermarket this evening they had packets of 72 Huggies for newborns reduced from €16 to €11. I haven't had kids myself but I know that nappies are one of the things that cost the most so I was going to buy several packs while they're cheap... but I was unsure how long a pack of 72 nappies would go with a brand new baby!
    Do babies grow out of the newborn size nappies in a few weeks? If I buy 4 or 5 packs of 72 newborn nappies will my friend be left with loads of nappies that she won't be able to use?

I once heard that you can never have enough nappies when you've got a baby but I don't want to overdo it!

And while I'm asking, what other stuff should I be stockpiling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Baby wipes, boots often to 3 for 2 on them.
    As for the nappies it's usuall I found 1 per feed + 2 so about 7 a day for the first few weeks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

One thing about newborn nappies....they may not fit into them when they're newborn. :) Our little one was very little when she was born, so she had the tiny baby nappies (whatever they're called). My best man had a whopper so she was too big for the newborn ones if I'm remembering right (it's 2am).

A voucher for mothercare will never go astray if you're looking to buy a gift. We used one when baby needed a bigger car seat (for example).

edit: Oh yeah.....as Thaed said....baby wipes. You can never have too many. Tescos are having a 2 for 1 on Johnsons ones at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I got a lovely hamper off my sister in law when my last child was born... Blankets, sudocream, Sensitive Wipes, Johnsons Baby Bath, Johsons Baby Lotion, Nail clippers, Rattle, Towels, Bath thermometer, Natural Sponge, Lots of nice bits and pieces in it.

I think that wipes, Baby baths/shampoos etc, Blankets, cotton wool balls all come in handy.

As for the nappies what Khannie said, it does depend on the size of the baby for the size of the nappy.. I found that my kids needed the larger sizes, more for absorbancy, than fit.

And just wanted to say, what a nice thoughtful person you are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

The Tescos own brand wipes are great value (get the blue unperfumed ones)
    4 pack for €6.49

And if you're buying them a present later - please for the love of God don't get them a "silver" photo frame - we've got a press full of the bloody things!

I wouldn't bother with a Mothercare voucher - their stuff is overpriced and terrible quality

Oh - and Babygrows - loads of them - all sizes believe me they will be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Get vouchers for tesco or dunnes, that way they can get what they need, and get good value for the few quid!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oh...and bibs. You can never have too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The thing with stock piling wipes is that the child may be allergic and you won't know.
    I had was stuck with a heap of jonhson's wipes which I had before my second was born as they made her comes out in a rash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

mine had reactions to the Johnsons wipes too. best to stick with the sensitive wipes.

Muslin squares are also very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

a pack or two of newborn nappies is all i would suggest (but then my 2 babies were over 9lbs :(), but get a few packs of size 2, it may be a month or so before they need them, but they will be appreciated. My mother used to buy be a pack of nappies every time she went shopping in aldi/lidl (nappies are fine), it meant a great plentifulness, when money is tight - at some stages i had 400/500 nappies in the house.:D

What my niece did for me for my first child, is she bought a couple of tins of formula, once she knew what i was using - again very useful as formula is expensive to buy if not breast feeding.

Stay clear of Mothercare - buy sensitive baby wipes - I never used bibs, they were more trouble than they were worth, soft towels for any spillage under the chin.

you can never have enough baby gros & vests - again don't buy a load of 0-3 months (get a few diff sizes), they grow out of them so quickly. You don't have to pay a load of money for them - Penneys, heatons are as good as anywhere. You can always pick up something nice for the child also.

don't buy talcum powder (really bad for breathing), sudocream & Vaseline are always good to get. be careful of too much baby toiletries, i had enough for 20 babies with what i got:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As previous poster said, it is a lovely thing you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

Thank you all!

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

Have to say I'm really excited as the last baba I was around was my little bro all of 22 years ago :eek:

Will keep you all posted on the mammy to be :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

You could always buy different baby wipes and see which ones are fine,wait for the special offers tesco/dunnes.Actually the 2 euro shops are great for baby things.Or get together with some friends and buy a pram/cot or sterilizer as these very expensive i would have rather someone got together and bought these.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A friend mentioned to me yesterday that alot of johnson and johnson baby stuff is 2 for 1 in Tesco and then there is also 25% off.
    It is probably worth a look:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No matter what you buy, be it nappies or clothes, be careful with newborn or 0-3 sizes. I had a cupboard full of stuff my kids never got to use/wear as they grow really fast at that stage.

One of those superduper ear thermometers would have been a godsend though, I still havent got around to buying one, as they are €50-60. Something like that might be worth considering, and its not an automatic buy when youre getting ready for baby, and getting all the necessaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

We've started to stock pile on special offers now too. Mainly wipes, baby bath etc. Stuff thats on special.

It makes a lot of sense, you'll be using the wipes for the first 2 years, you can't have too many!!

I'm a bit reluctant to buy nappies though, its the kindof thing that you need to see what is suited to your baby when they arrive. I used to love Huggies on my first but that was a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi
    Like Quality my sister in law gave me a hamper she'd made up herself when my ds was born. A wonderful selection of really practical and fun things. Things like a box of baby rice - his first solid food! Spoons and dishes to eat it with. His first pair of shoes - just tiny trainers from Dunnes but they made me ooh! Calpol, teething gel, sudo cream, a thermometer, bibs, vests, a plastic book for the bath he reads it every time he has a bath, teething rings, his first sippy cup. Honestly I had so much fun opening the hamper and oohing over everything and nothing went to waste. They are the kind of things you can pick up as a little extra with your weekly shop and they really will be appreciated.

Enjoy your baby shopping and well done for planning ahead.

Sulukie

Advertisement