Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fuel saver.. do these work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Works well if you incorporate a Flux Capacitor, although it also has a strange effect on the time readout on your car... :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

KidCapree wrote: »
    Alright lads and lasses. Came across this on ebay, it's some sort of fuel saver. Anyone know about them? Do they work?

Link: http://cgi.ebay.ie/FUEL-SAVER-FOR-VW-POLO-BEETLE-GOLF-JETTA-BORA-PASSAT_W0QQitemZ110229465742QQihZ001QQcategoryZ122139QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

99% of those things are just rubbish, i doubt it'd make any noticeable difference, i mean how come it's not in every car already if it's so fantastic and cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

About as much use as an inflatable dart board

Myth Busted

The Great Gas Conspiracy: Are the auto makers and the fuel suppliers in collusion together to get us to buy inefficient and expensive cars to keep them in business? Adam and Jamie test devices listed in the internet that the creators claim improve gas mileage.

Using both a carburettor car and a fuel-injected car, they put several tricks to the test.

Fuel line magnet: Totally busted. MPG doesn't change at all.

Acetone/gasoline mix: Busted for both kinds of cars. In fact, MPG was worse!

"Super Carburettor" that gets 300 MPG: Busted, big time. Much worse gas mileage.

Homemade fuel cell that converts water into hydrogen gas: While the car doesn't run on it at all, it does actually generate hydrogen gas. In fact, Jamie grabs a big tank of hydrogen and blows it right into the empty carburettor ... and the car runs on it!

This was the coolest part of the testing: Used cooking oil. They simply filtered used French fry cooking oil and put it into a diesel engine, and the car runs just fine on it with no engine modifications! It was 10% less efficient that the diesel, but hey, that's fricken cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

Curiosity got the better of me and i tried a pair of these last year.
    Result: No difference at all.
    All these guys are selling fuel magnetisers in pairs that cup around the fuel line.
    You have found a seller who is offering the same advantages as others but your seller is selling these as single units.
    And i thought, the guy that sold me mine, was a chancer!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well there you go. Another ebay pile a ***** busted. YAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

the flux capacator will do 0 - 88 in 30 years........imagine the mpg on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

I saved myself the money. I threw a banana under the bonnet. Work's great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

haha curiousity got me as well. Good thing i asked before i bought.. knew it had to be too good to be true!

I saved loads as well, i went down to the local siopa and bought a bag of sugar, i just finished pouring into the fuel tank. I'm going to leave it sit for a few hours and start that engine up and listen to it pur. OOOWEEEE it's going to be great

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I saved loads as well, i went down to the local siopa and bought a bag of sugar, i just finished pouring into the fuel tank. I'm going to leave it sit for a few hours and start that engine up and listen to it pur. OOOWEEEE it's going to be great

dont forget the mothballs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Complete and utter BULLS**T.
    The result is a more efficient and complete combustion of the fuel throughout the entire chamber, generating more energy from the same amount of fuel, and reducing environmentally harmful hydrocarbon emissions. Whether it's water for your home, office, or swimming pool, or fuel for your vehicles, magnetohydrodynamics makes a positive difference. Magnetic fluid conditioning is a technology that is here to stay.

The combustion efficiency of modern diesel engines is already about 99%!!! This *might* improve this figure to 99.1%, which will make feck all difference. They have some amount of bs in that ad, such as put 2 on if you car is greater than 2L, and slap another one on the rad pipe to remove limescale, and another one on the oil fiter????WTF.

If ya want to save fuel, change your driving habits, things such as keeping your distance to the car in front greater and use the engine as a brake, steady acceleration, slowong down by 10kmh etc. things like this can reduce you fuel consumption by over 10mpg.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Works well if you incorporate a Flux Capacitor, although it also has a strange effect on the time readout on your car... :D

Wow, I must have a flux capacitor hidden somewhere in my car, the clock is broke and now spins around way quicker (an hr in 6 secs!). Will get meself a few of these magnetic fuel savers and I'll have my deloran2, running on nothing but banana skins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Complete and utter BULLS**T.

The combustion efficiency of modern diesel engines is already about 99%!!! This *might* improve this figure to 99.1%, which will make feck all difference.

2nd year Mech Engineering student-> research the Carnot Limit. Combustion engines have a maximum efficiency well below your stated figure. To put it simply, if diesel engines were that efficient the engine block would be stone cold to touch, as all the energy obtained via combustion would have been converted into kinetic energy to propel the car. As it is, heat is the principal form of energy "wasted" by the combustion engine.

I'd a look at the guys ebay page and he does put out a convincing page. Snakeoil as it may but i'd say he's duped a few.

His feedback is hilarious. "Car much more powerful and more MPG" FFS

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought ten of these and put them all on my car. Now I don't use any fuel and on long clear runs it actually produces fuel!
    Honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

kbannon wrote: »
    I bought ten of these and put them all on my car. Now I don't use any fuel and on long clear runs it actually produces fuel!
    Honestly!

Scotty always recommended them on the warp drive of the enterprise too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

7da5_1_sbol.JPG

This stuff from the same page is pretty cool though:) At least it works, only 99c in Tesco too.

kbannon wrote: »
    Honestly!

Its not the model fred flintstone uses is it?? :D

C.D. wrote: »
    2nd year Mech Engineering student-> research the Carnot Limit. Combustion engines have a maximum efficiency well below your stated figure. To put it simply, if diesel engines were that efficient the engine block would be stone cold to touch, as all the energy obtained via combustion would have been converted into kinetic energy to propel the car. As it is, heat is the principal form of energy "wasted" by the combustion engine.

Em, no, read my comment again: Combustion efficiency is nearly 100%. This is the amount of the diesel fuel that is combusted during the power stroke. The carnot cycle efficiency (n =1-Tc/Th, if i remember correctly) is completely different, and tops out at 60% or so.
    Oh, and I'm a qualified mech engineer, so suck them balls:D:p

Are ya a UCD student? DJT would not be inpressed with you!

7da5_1_sbol.JPG

This stuff from the same page is pretty cool though:) At least it works, only 99c in Tesco too.

My folks had one of them in their last car, it was completely useless after a few weeks when dust got stuck on it. Everything just slipped off it. Not to mind that the dash is the most stupid place to leave your keys, that car would be nicked in no time:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

7da5_1_sbol.JPG

Cool! it actually uses the energy from your passenger airbag to impale your passenger should you crash into something!

How much?

Advertisement