Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone got buying advice on 911 ?

• 29-02-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Thinking as ever of making a purchase.

Anybody got any hints or tips about what to look out for on them ? the 996 specifically.

I don't need regular buying advice thanks, I know what to look out for generally, just interested in the specifics for the 911.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Thinking as ever of making a purchase.

Anybody got any hints or tips about what to look out for on them ? the 996 specifically.

I don't need regular buying advice thanks, I know what to look out for generally, just interested in the specifics for the 911.

The only advice I can give you is buy one. I can also advise to to give me a spin in it when you get it. Also, you should book time in Modello and bring me along!
    Apart from that, I'm no good to you for useful tips and tricks about 996 buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not exactly what you asked, but wouldn't you prefer a 993?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Biro wrote: »
    The only advice I can give you is buy one.

believe me I am trying to
    thanks for the advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Not exactly what you asked, but wouldn't you prefer a 993?:)

Yes I would but - I can get a 996 for less money/milage etc and they are more reliable I believe (Not normally something I would care about reliability but Porsche = €€€€€ if stuff goes wrong!)

plus the 996 is much more modern to drive and be a passenger in and Mrs AMerc will give me an ear full for trading the very nice BMW for it, if you get me.

All terrible reasons - none of them good enough to the purists I know but I want a 911 and as easy a life as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

make sure it had Regular oil changes , if the milage is above 60,000 check the rear suspention struts or any signs of welding ( apart from factory welding ) and just make sure theres atleast 5 mm of rubber on the tyres.... other then them basic things porshes are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

This was invaluable for me when buying my 911. It's US based and covers a lot of info on classics but it'll give you some useful hints & info.

EDIT - This is linked to in the article, but just in case you skim read and miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

but I want a 911 and as easy a life as possible.
    Don't we all, RobAMerc, don't we all!

I'm afraid I can't offer any specific advice, but I think it's a great idea and I wish you the very best of luck with it. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rennlist FTW

The 996 forum alone has currently 60 viewing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes I would but - I can get a 996 for less money/milage etc and they are more reliable I believe (Not normally something I would care about reliability but Porsche = €€€€€ if stuff goes wrong!)

plus the 996 is much more modern to drive and be a passenger in and Mrs AMerc will give me an ear full for trading the very nice BMW for it, if you get me.

All terrible reasons - none of them good enough to the purists I know but I want a 911 and as easy a life as possible.

Rob - I'm in the exact same boat. Love the 996, modern, etc etc. But anything pre-00, to be specific, the 3.4, would give me the absolute heeby-jeebies..........they have some horrendous issues - I can't say they WILL occur to yours, but, if they do, it'll cost 15k to put right. The www is littered with cases of it - I subscribe to 911 & PW, and in the letters page of the last issue, there were two horrendous experiences of 996's going wrong. Not for the faint hearted. Buy, certainly, but only at the right price - i.e., market -15k. (call it......'insurance' money.....) For that reason, 996's can be good value, if bought sensibly. If you see a whiff of emulsion inside the oil cap, or excessive steaming, I'd walk away........

It's for this reason I'm looking for a 993 now. Have 968 (see sig), and bought a 968 Tiptronic yesterday - infinately superior to the 911 as an 'everyday' car........is a hatchback, can carry kids, and short hops up and down the road aren't a time bomb waiting to go off - that's what killed my last 911. Remember, the 911 has about 13l of oil in a dry sump tank - it takes a lot of miles to warm that much oil up. Going on the school run won't, but it will knacker the top end.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

robamerc if your goin to buy a 911 my advice is to take your time and do your home work,ive have 5 911,s and completletly rushed in to the first one .had the money in my hand and a horn in me pocket the moment i drove it .looking back i was shafted and im a mechanic. i just overlooked all the bad bits saying ah i can fix that and the likes.it looked magic sounded magic but everything interior was goosed and had no history .i didnt care about the history till i wenr to sell it and dint have many takers got out of it ok .911,s dont sell quick dont mind what any sales guy sayes so go through it with a fine tooth combe and checked all the electric and engine and gearbox. 911 love lealing oil and lots of it this costs time and money.

another thing i found was 911 are cancer magnets the price tag didnt cure that well at least on the early 90,s ones i could afford.the best discovery i made in the porsche world was pelican porsche in the states
    you can buy everything from them at a fraction of the price here

i still love 911s but if your gona buy one dont go for a targa my no3 was a targa and just pissed in water

im a ford buff but have a soft spot for 911,s sold my last one but getting a new one soon well newish, just gona bide my time ,if you do get one dosent matter what year it will always put a smile on yer face

• Advertisement
Advertisement