Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 1: Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Spiced Up Mac & Cheese

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I will be making the Mac and Cheese part of this tomorrow to go with a spicy chicken fillet and some salad :) That way I get to try it without overloading the calories

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Made this last night, was too hungry to stop and take photos though :D It went down an absolute storm! I found cooking the chicken a little bit tricky, it took some trial and error but was definitely worth the effort.

The spiced mac and cheese recipe will come in handy next time I'm feeling lazy and in need an easy store-cupboard type dinner.

Top marks for the first Cooking Club recipe of the year, cheers honey-ec!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made the mac 'n cheese last night. The spice does lift up the dish, especially the vinegary hot sauce. I didn't have cayenne pepper but used this sweet ground spice mix I got from a Turkish bazaar. I had an oak smoked mature cheddar in hand, and mixed that with some Parmesan. I might have made the sauce slightly too thick as I didn't really measure the butter and flour for the roux.
    This is seriously good. Everyone enjoyed it, even my 2 year old son and he wasn't a bit bothered by the spice (I taught him early). I'll definitely make this again, next time along with the buttermilk fried chicken.

ca3b1b2b3fe7b426af33ac777b935ecd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

hdowney wrote: »
    I will be making the Mac and Cheese part of this tomorrow to go with a spicy chicken fillet and some salad :) That way I get to try it without overloading the calories

Should have specified in the recipe that I use low-fat milk for this, doesn't have to be whole or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

This looks delicious! I have the chicken marinading since last night. I cant wait to get home to cook it as well as the mac'n'cheese
    Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Wow, this was fantastic :D Serious comfort food. I found it a bit difficult to get the oil to the right temp but it worked out in the end. A nice kick of spice in the pasta. I'll make this again for sure.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I made the Mac and Cheese last night. I think I 'may' have over spiced the thing for the amount I made!!! Which would have been a little owwie on it's own, but I had it with cajun chicken (which I think I also over spiced - I think I over spice everything cos I like stuff HOT! - hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Chicken is marinating for tomorrow night. I can't WAIT for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

pampootie wrote: »
    Chicken is marinating for tomorrow night. I can't WAIT for this!

Same here. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Just finished eating this. Made it gluten free using Doves flour.

Props to the OP. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just made the chicken, seriously tasty. I wasn't paying properly and ended up putting the full amount of paprika and cayenne in the marinade, but it gave it a nice spicy kick. Had intended doing wings, but they smelled a bit odd so did goujons instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Just finished this. Wow. Had never deep fried anything before and was a bit nervous, but after this I think it's how I'll cook all my food. Mac n cheese is going to be my new comfort food too. Thanks honey-ec!

Made this last night... Very tasty! The mac and cheese was a tad too spicy for my sister so maybe tone down if you're cooking for ppl who don't do spicy food. But I really liked it.

imceCso.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made the mac and cheese last night too, but with reallyrose's lime and chilli chicken burgers. Leftovers for lunch today :) it was gorgeous, but I halved all quantities except for the spices and hot sauce by accident...had to have a crazy amount of milk with it to calm the burning!
    Photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Oh, man... Nomnom!!! The mac and.cheese is to die for, and the chicken is beautiful. I think the cheese sauce is amazing. I used 200g of cheddar and 50g of blue cheese becauee it goes so well with Franks!

Will be makin the cheese sauce for nachos from now on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 illgetthere

Tried the fried chicken tonight and think it was a little 'over-done'...

Certainly doesn't look as good as others but it was really tasty :) Had it with homemade wedges and salad, yum!

I did check the chicken before it got so char-coaled but it wasn't cooked on the inside - by the time the chicken was cooked, the outside was burnt :(

Any advice?? I think maybe the oil was too hot - we have gas so it was really piping hot!

Tried the fried chicken tonight and think it was a little 'over-done'...

Certainly doesn't look as good as others but it was really tasty :) Had it with homemade wedges and salad, yum!

I did check the chicken before it got so char-coaled but it wasn't cooked on the inside - by the time the chicken was cooked, the outside was burnt :(

Any advice?? I think maybe the oil was too hot - we have gas so it was really piping hot!

Yep, your oil was too hot. Sorry, I know I was very vague about what temp it should be in my post, but I kind of judge all my cooking by sight & instinct, so I kinda struggle to write actual recipes, and this was one of the things that I really had no idea how to be prescriptive about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

One thing you could try is to fry it at 180 for a bit, then put into the oven until cooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Also Honey-ec, this looks absolutely delish, it'll be a while until I get to try it, but I can't wait!!

Thanks guys! It didn't occur to me to put it in the oven :o

I find it hard to judge temp when cooking with gas anyways, plus it's the first time I've cooked with so much oil (not sure if an inch or two counts as shallow or deep frying!)

Will definitely be trying this again OP, cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave this a go, nice and tasty, although every time I see Honey-ec's username I'm convinced the 'ec' part means she's an economist. :pac: I don't know where I'm getting that from.

Tbh, I don't really think there's any need to finish them in the oven. But if you feel you must, make sure it's on fan and that you place them directly onto a wire rack (as opposed to a baking tray), otherwise they'll go soggy.

Thanks guys! It didn't occur to me to put it in the oven :o

I find it hard to judge temp when cooking with gas anyways, plus it's the first time I've cooked with so much oil (not sure if an inch or two counts as shallow or deep frying!)

Will definitely be trying this again OP, cheers :D

Your oil was definitely too hot. I tried to cook fried chicken a few months ago and I made exactly the same mistake. Basically I didn't give it enough time to heat up by having the hob up too high and the chicken turned out the same as yours and had to be thrown out.

But when I did it on Saturday, I gently heated it on a low heat before gradually heating it up. I also had a thermometer from IKEA and even though it only went up to 266F, I knew once the oil reached that point that it was just about ready for the chicken. According to some research I did, the optimum temperature for frying chicken is about 325F.

This is the thermometer I have and it only costs €8 which is really good value as it is great for cooking loads of meat and taking the guesswork away. It's also a timer and the back is magnetic so it sticks to your fridge or cooker or whatever.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't really think there's any need to finish them in the oven. But if you feel you must, make sure it's on fan and that you place them directly onto a wire rack (as opposed to a baking tray), otherwise they'll go soggy.

Plus if you have a gas oven, it will make the chicken drier and I don't think the crust will be as crisp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you flatten out the thicker part of the chicken it will cook more quickly and you won't have to leave it in as long, so the coating will be paler.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You could use the trick for testing if a chip pan is ready. Before you put the chicken on the pan, pop a little piece of bread into the hot oil and then gauge the temperature from that.

Just for the record too, I didn’t deep fry or shallow fry (judging by the definitions here). I just put a small amount of oil in the pan on a medium heat and it worked a treat. I also cut the bigger breasts in half on an angle and reduced the cooking time to suit.

Cool, I'll try these again soon and try to gauge the oil temp a bit better. I did the exact same as Sparrow, put heat on full blast to begin with and it didn't take long to over-heat... we live and learn eh!

I'll try to get a termometer next time i'm in Ikea too.. it's looks like a handy thing to have in the kitchen!

Will report back with my next attempt :) cheers

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a sugar thermometer that goes to 200⁰C, which was helpful for gauging this. I heated the oil to 180 or so before popping the chicken in. Bear in mind that the cold chicken cools the oil right back down to maybe 150 - I let it heat back up before frying the second batch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made the chicken tonight. It was really tasty! I think I ended up using too much oil for frying, so the edges and ends got overdone. It was a bit dry, but the middle was lovely. If I were making it again, I'd use less oil for frying and probably flatten out the breasts a bit.

Oh yeah, buttermilk is really hard to get in the UK, so I ended up using milk with vinegar added to try and recreate buttermilk. It wasn't ideal, I'm sure, but it still worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

18 chicken breasts now swimming in their buttermilk bath...

(yes, maybe I went a bit overboard, but family's coming round this weekend and fried chicken is delicious hot or cold - there is no possibility of waste here :D )

Advertisement