Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco TV €99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Deerpark Killarney straight through entrance, bottom shelf underneath large screens

No fanfare just yellow ticket.had my eye on this earlier in year when at 179 for screen and Killarney seemed to have plenty at time.

Even checkout girl seemed suprised

Thanks for that, bloody Tesco customer service is crap, I rang yesterday afternoon to see if they had them in stock and was told no! Flipping eejits.

So I drove down today with my 2 smallies(1.5hrs drive and one of them threw up on the way down) in the hope of getting one and of course they were gone, I asked them to double check the store and gave out about wrong info being given so they have taken my name and will ring if they come in again or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I rang for mine in Ballinsaloe,they took my name as one left and said to come in to them in the morning to collect it as it would be kept, when i got there they said no in stock and they only had an empty box for one.
    I went home annoyed and just as i drove in home they rang and said they now have 1 and could i come to collect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

loopymum wrote: »
    Thanks for that, bloody Tesco customer service is crap, I rang yesterday afternoon to see if they had them in stock and was told no! Flipping eejits.

So I drove down today with my 2 smallies(1.5hrs drive and one of them threw up on the way down) in the hope of getting one and of course they were gone, I asked them to double check the store and gave out about wrong info being given so they have taken my name and will ring if they come in again or so they say.

Sorry, am I missing something here - you were told on the phone that they didn't have them in stock, then you drove to the store, and found that they had none?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

tmcw wrote: »
    Sorry, am I missing something here - you were told on the phone that they didn't have them in stock, then you drove to the store, and found that they had none?

I think the poster is saying she was told yesterday they had none, when they had.
    Anyway, who can blame Tesco staff for putting bargains away for themselves? I bet anybody posting on here would do the same if they could and let's face it there are few enough perks in working for Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Ill join in here just in case anyone spots em in Galway.
    Cant complain about the staff getting them really. Arent we doing pretty much the same thing by sharing the info amongst ourselves (and lurkers) therefore giving us the jump on non-Boardsies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

bmaxi wrote: »
    I think the poster is saying she was told yesterday they had none, when they had.
    Anyway, who can blame Tesco staff for putting bargains away for themselves? I bet anybody posting on here would do the same if they could and let's face it there are few enough perks in working for Tesco.

Ah right, I should have read the post she quoted properly. Sorry...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

sandman, have you checked oranmore?

i was gonna head out today but didnt bother.
    there was none in town yesterday.

No Skelliser. I dont have a car so even if I got the bus I would prob have to get a taxi back which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a bargain lol. If it turns out they have em in Oran Ill arrange transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

None in Tesco Roscommon or Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hmm, anyone know the opening times of the oranmore branch.

it doesnt exist according to tesco.ie!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Division

I swear all the specials must go to the staff. None in the two tesco's in Athlone.

I would be interested to learn which Tesco stores actually put these special offers out on the shelves. How about everyone on here giving their opinions on how their local store normally handles them?

For instance, my local (Greystones) tesco store didn't place any on the shelves, but my neighbour who works there managed to bag "the last one" today, plus got his 10% staff discount. Not sure if that's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Actually Greystones had about 4 on the shelf earlier in the week - I went back to get one about 5 hours later and they were gone but they were definately out and on display!

iwhelan wrote: »
    Actually Greystones had about 4 on the shelf earlier in the week - I went back to get one about 5 hours later and they were gone but they were definately out and on display!

Just curious - where were they in the store? I couldn't even see any yellow SEL for them any time I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

They were never even displayed in the Mullingar or Kinnegad shops!!!
    Only made it as far as the store

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the point of specials like these is to get people into the store - it defeats the purpose if staff end up buying them all before they even go on display. Allowing that to happen is bad management both at a corporate and a local level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There back it September when i needed a smaller tv for college they had the samsung 220 hd for 200 euros.

I was in tesco before I went to work they where just putting them out and they when I went back at 12 at night they where all gone the sign was gone to I asked one of the staff do you still have any samsung 22 inch tv left

He went to the back and got me one and told me there was about 15 of them out back they must have been left there for staff

Anyway the 220hd is a fantastic little full hd tv I use my ps3 and my xbox on it an it looks a lot better then my 3 year old samsung 26 inch hd ready tv

So the 20 inch for 100 euros is a deal and a 1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

I put this up weeks back and no one seemed to be interested!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090068

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Like Jim, I never saw them on the shelves in Greystones. If they were there, it wasn't for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

ruddy1987 wrote: »

Must have missed your post - they must have been on sale a while now so that's why people are having trouble finding stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

ruddy1987 wrote: »

Missed it also, you need a catchy title like "Tesco TV €99"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ill join in here just in case anyone spots em in Galway.
    Cant complain about the staff getting them really. Arent we doing pretty much the same thing by sharing the info amongst ourselves (and lurkers) therefore giving us the jump on non-Boardsies?
    Can't complain? :( Boards is a public, open forum. We don't 'hide' anything for ourselves here. (Well, apart from the odd boardsie who puts the last item or two at the back of a shelf and tells us it is there.... which is well different from the item never getting near the sales floor in the first place.)

I'm sure Tesco have enough staff-only deals without the staff pre-empting the genuine offers to customers.

Not your ornery onager

I for one had never heard about boards until 2009. So you had 'inside' info for 5 years ahead of me.
    Never heard of Tesco staff only deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

loyatemu wrote: »
    the point of specials like these is to get people into the store - it defeats the purpose if staff end up buying them all before they even go on display. Allowing that to happen is bad management both at a corporate and a local level.

If that was the case then they would surely advertise in the media. The people who pick up these deals are, for the most part, already in the store.
    I have rarely come across the deals mentioned on boards in my local Tesco and any I have come across have not been prominently displayed, just the usual yellow sticker. I think this is stock Tesco just want to clear and they don't care who buys it.

I for one had never heard about boards until 2009. So you had 'inside' info for 5 years ahead of me.
    Never heard of Tesco staff only deals.

Sorry Sandeman, have to disagree with you there. Boards.ie bargain alerts are for items that are available to us (general public) and are on display on the shelves. For Tesco staffers to hold back these offers in their stock rooms, never visible to the public, and then apply their 10% staff discount is bad form, amounts to staff-only deals & their management should not allow this.

My earlier point however was that some stores seem to stock the shelves normally with special offers, while others don't allow them out of the stock-room (not so much as a special offer SEL on an empty shelf to alert you that there might be an offer on). I would still be interested in hearing from others as to which stores are run "fairly" in this regard, and which never allow "their" customers to partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can only speak for my store.
    This is usually how these really good special offers play out.

Before the offer, a new plannagram is put in place, this means the TV display is re merchandised and old stock is taken off and put in the warehouse. If a store has space anywhere they may be able to leave out the old stock.

Some stores will not have these items out if they don't have room.

Once the item is on the shelf there is an electronic process to make sure the shelf is kept stocked. It is carried out every morning.If something is in the building the system will tell the assistant to put it on the shelf before 11am.

Either the big reduction in price will be detailed in a newsletter 3 weeks before the offer or it will just change price at 3am on the day of the offer.

Where I work if you want to get the offer, you have to be there when the price changes and buy it immediately, you can't put it on hold because it wrecks the system that keeps the shelves stocked. You could buy it a few days before and return it and pay the cheaper price, but it's a pain with a telly.

Often the person displaying the prices tells everyone at 6am in the morning when they see the price and every staff member in the store that wants one, buys one there and then.

Because the stock is off the floor due to a price change, it may only be displayed when the new price is printed off and a place if found to display it on the shop floor. Deliveries come every day and it is basically impossible to know for certain what will be delivered. So if you are told there's none in stock at 2:30, they may be in stock again at 3:30 after the truck arrives.

When an offer is advertised in the national press, usually 3 pallets of the item arrives in the largest stores 5 days before it will be on offer. Price changes on the days the offer becomes live in the brochure and when its gone its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'm sure Tesco have enough staff-only deals without the staff pre-empting the genuine offers to customers

They could just "hold" them for their friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I can only speak for my store.
    This is usually how these really good special offers play out.

Often the person displaying the prices tells everyone at 6am in the morning when they see the price and every staff member in the store that wants one, buys one there and then.
    Thanks for the inside information. I presume by 'often' you mean 'always', or 'nearly every time'?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    When an offer is advertised in the national press, usually 3 pallets of the item arrives in the largest stores 5 days before it will be on offer. Price changes on the days the offer becomes live in the brochure and when its gone its gone.
    So, 3 pallets arrive 5 days early, and staff 'deduce' that a special offer is on the way.... => regular punters are lucky to ever find one on the shelf?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Folks, just spotted this: Samsung P2270HD 22" Full HD 1080p LCD TV (5ms, 50000:1, HDMI) on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-P2270HD-Full-1080p-50000/dp/tech-data/B002DPSKDO/ref=de_a_smtd

It is now £175.00, down from £280. They will also deliver to Ireland, and because it costs more than £25, it qualifies for free delivery as well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Folks, just spotted this: Samsung P2270HD 22" Full HD 1080p LCD TV (5ms, 50000:1, HDMI) on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-P2270HD-Full-1080p-50000/dp/tech-data/B002DPSKDO/ref=de_a_smtd

It is now £175.00, down from £280. They will also deliver to Ireland, and because it costs more than £25, it qualifies for free delivery as well:)

This is a monitor. It has a DTV decoder. Seems to have 3w speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

does it do mpeg4?

Advertisement