Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I for one am happy with this line-up. The championship is just around the corner and it's good to know they are trying out new players and varying the positions to help give them more options for when it does come round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well I for one am happy with this line-up. The championship is just around the corner and it's good to know they are trying out new players and varying the positions to help give them more options for when it does come round.

Well it's good to see Mike Quirke getting his game - as anybody who attended any Strand Road Championship matches last year will probably tell you he's the most dominating midfielder in the county by a considerable distance. He routinely destroys anyone put up against him.

Well it's another Kerry victory: Kerry 0.12 to Derry 0.10 but what a disappointing game that was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Well it's another Kerry victory: Kerry 0.12 to Derry 0.10 but what a disappointing game that was :pac:
    At least you got to see the game.
    On the train to Belfast today and had to get a bus from Newry because of a security alert.
    Decided against that and got the train back to Dublin.
    GUTTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apparantly the set up in ballaghy is poor? i.e - its just a club ground?

anyway, didnt see the game so cant comment but to go to ulster 2 times and come back with 2 wins bodes well. 6 points from 3 games played, all against the northies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Didn't see the game yesterday - how was Mícheál Quirke going before he got booked?

I think the yellow card rule is a little bit overly harsh - it's almost perfect, but imo the booked player should be allowed to return after some period of time, say 15 minutes or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was at it, Quirke was poor before he got sent off. Had a nice point, Kerry's opening point but he's a bit slow around the pitch and when he's tracking back he's doing it with the head down.

Pitch was atrocious- noone could stay on their feet.

Gooch had a terrible day at the office. Kicked a few uncharicteristic wides and when through on goal tried to place the ball in the corner and horribly mis-kicked it and was lucky it went over. The peno was taken well enough but the keeper got a hand to it, fair fecks.

Kerry seemed to be playing a lot of route one football, I'd like to see Darren run at defences a bit more but he ran down some awful cul de sacs yesterday. Declan was MOM by a mile, did some great defensive work and was tireless. The ref was consistent but Declan was mouthing off and as a result was getting nothing off him. I though Jack would bring better discipline but himself and Declan are close so we'll see. Kennelly made a fantastic catch in traffic when he came in but no doubt he looks rusty. As for the attempted point- we won't go there.

I have to say Derry looked uninterested, there was a very flat athmosphere at the game. Surprised Paddy Bradley isn't playing but they're manager has made no secret of the fact they want to develop a more consistent team and not be over reliant on him.

Kerry were the better team, they kept the ball for long periods and had the better chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Froze my arse off up there. Poor umbrella ended up in the field behind me. No stand, tight pitch and no hiding paces for anyone. Only thing I'd add was that Donnacha Walsh was very poor and Tadgh well I don't think we'll see him in the forwards again. It will be interesting to see where Jack plays both Star & Tommy Walsh this year. No point playing them both in the full forward line like last year.

Some competition for places alright though I think we saw 5 out of the 6 starting forwards yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

manster wrote: »
    Froze my arse off up there. Poor umbrella ended up in the field behind me. No stand, tight pitch and no hiding paces for anyone. Only thing I'd add was that Donnacha Walsh was very poor and Tadgh well I don't think we'll see him in the forwards again. It will be interesting to see where Jack plays both Star & Tommy Walsh this year. No point playing them both in the full forward line like last year.

Some competition for places alright though I think we saw 5 out of the 6 starting forwards yesterday.

I don't know about that, Tommy and Star did well all year until we started to panic against Tyrone in the final and all we did was throw in big high balls. Tommy's great at getting out in front of his man and running at defences because he's so hard to stop. I think Cooper should be on the forty - his distribution is phenomenal, Galvin and Declan on either side of that would prove hard to stop they can all take scores,run at defences and give quality ball into the full forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Under-21s against Cork

1. Tomás Mac an tSaoir (An Ghaeltacht) 2. Pádraig O’Connor(Legion) 3 Stephen Browne (Castlegregory) 4 Shane Enright (Tarbert) 5 Jonathan Lyne(Legion) 6 Mike Moloney (Dr Crokes) 7 Rory Horgan (Ardfert) 8 David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys) 9 Shane Hennessy (Castlegregory) 10. Adrian Greaney (St. Pat’s) 11 Gary Sayers (Keel) 12 JB Spillane (Castlegregory) 13 Alan O’Donoghue (John Mitchel’s) 14 Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) 15 Barry John Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) Subs: 16. Brian Kelly (Legion) 17.John Buckley (Dr Crokes) 18. Jamie Doolan (Dr Crokes) 19.Brian Russell (Spa) 20.Gary O’Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) 21.Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks) 22. Patrick Curtain (Moyvane) 23. Daithí Casey (DR. Crokes) 24.Daniel O’Shea (Currow) Trainer: Sean Geaney (Dingle) Selectors: John Galvin (Waterville), Jerome Stack (Listowel Emmet’s) Colm Geaney (Dingle)

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]CORK (U-21F v Kerry): D Farry (Nemo Rangers); J McLoughlin (Kanturk), J O’Sullivan (Bishopstown), N Galvin (Ballincollig); C O’Driscoll (Ilen Rovers), A Walsh (Kanturk), B Daly (Newmarket); C O’Donovan (Valley Rovers), K O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCárthaigh); C Sheehan (Éire Óg), S McCarthy (Douglas), C O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCárthaigh); C O’Neill (Ballyclough), D Goold (Macroom), P Honohan (Bishopstown).

Subs: B Walsh (Oliver Plunketts), L Jennings (Ballincollig), R Buckley (Macroom), D O’Sullivan (Ballinascarthy), J Fitzpatrick (Carbery Rangers), E Keane (St Finbarrs), M Collins (Castlehaven), E Buckley (St Michael’s), B O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

GALWAY FOR SAM. KERRY FOR CHELTNEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Suprisingly Cork Under-21s destroyed their Kerry counterparts today, 1-17 to 9. I don't think the Cork team have a senior panelist, and they have a few 19 year olds playing as well (Sheehan and Walsh) so I expected Kerry to destroy them, even though they were missing a few (as were Cork in fairness).

Anyone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very suprised with that - considering you still have a few veterans of last years all Ireland winning team and the new lads in from the Kerry minor team that made the all Ireland semi's last year. Did Cork have many of their U-21 team from last year?

Kerry Team V Mayo Sunday 15th March

1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle ) (2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin ) (3) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh /Glencar ) (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (8) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge) (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Fir Ionad: (16) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (17) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (18) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (19) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (21) Brian Sheehan (St Mary’s) (22) Ronán O’Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht) (23) Kieran O’Leary (Dr. Crokes) (24) Tadhg Kennelly

Time to get some shut-eye before heading to the game. The last time we played Mayo at home they beat us. In fact they have beaten us the last 3years in a row in the league.

I hope their will be a good turnout later today, if you're around - come and support :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

GWAN THE KINGDOM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Up Kerry! Flush the Jacks!

Kerry Team V Westmeath on Sunday 22nd March 09

(1) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (2) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (3) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (8) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (9) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (10) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmet’s) (11) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (Capt) (13) Kieran O’Leary (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) (15) Paul O’Connor (Kenmare)

Fir Ionad: (16) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle) (17) Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (18) David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys) (19) Bryan Sheehan (ST Marys) (20) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) (21) Rónán Ó Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht) (22) Sean O’Sullivan (Cromane) (23 Brian Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) (24) Ronan O’Connor (Ballyduff)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Westmeath @ 5/1 looks good odds to me

Did anyone travel to Austin Stacks' Park today I wonder? - their is no mention of the crowd on the RadioKerry coverage so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Did anyone travel to Austin Stacks' Park today I wonder? - their is no mention of the crowd on the RadioKerry coverage so far.

Ya I did, I couldn't say how many people were there.
    I took pictures heres a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/padocon/3376942284/

nice pix padocon ... thanks for sharing them. It is pretty cool looking at the tensity and determination in the players' faces when they are playing.

Good news that tadgh had a good game according to the coverage on RK and Darren seems to be returning to his old self again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I was at it and I thought Kerry were terrible, and Westmeath even worse. Paul O'Connor had his penalty kick saved and the Westmeath man drove his wide. Kerry were ragged and there was seven new players from the team that lined out against Mayo previously. The introduction of Darren O'Sullivan and Sean Sullivan in the second half won the game for Kerry as they were behind 0-5 to 0-6 at half time. Tommy Walsh and Kieran Donaghy were so clumsy and wasted several good chances.

Seamus Scanlon was my MOTM and himself and David Moran cleaned out midfield. It was a bad display by Kerry and the scoreline did not display how bad they were. This match was all about experimentation by Jack O'Connor, roll on Dublin in Parnell Park next weekend.

Think it will be that Kerry -v- Dublin match which will show us how much work we have to do before the championship commences. The experimentation is good so long as the management team don't resort back to the auld tried & trusted reliables too fast without taking these league games & new players/positional changes into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I wonder- Dublin are playins some terrible football in the league and still have the Crokes Players to come back. I can see Kerry walking this one. Moran looks like the find in the league so far to me anyway.

Moran - David or Brian? I have to say though that neither have really caught my eye thus far but I'll be keeping a closer eye on both against the Dubs should they be playing some part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wonder- Dublin are playins some terrible football in the league and still have the Crokes Players to come back. I can see Kerry walking this one. Moran looks like the find in the league so far to me anyway.

For my sins I watched the Mayo Dublin game - it was car crash stuff.
    While the pitch wasnt great and there was a tricky wind it doesn't look like Dublin have made much in the way of progress. Still looks like Brogan as the only forward of quality - scored 5 of their 8 points. The Dublin forwards kicked an array of some of the worst wides imaginable. After 25 mins it was something like 5 points to Dublin no score to Mayo {one wide} and Dublin with ten wides. The only hint of a gameplan seemed to be get the ball to Brogan. I'd also have concerns about Whelan's discipline and I thought he was once again lucky to stay on the field after some more silly buggers. Maybe it was an off day but having seen a fair bit of the Meath v Monaghan game I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Meath beat them in the first round.

I would expect to see a Kerry first fifteen which would bear a much greater resemblance to the starting Championship fifteen with Gooch, Galvin and Dec Sullivan all back. I really cant see anything but a Kerry win in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Moran - David or Brian? I have to say though that neither have really caught my eye thus far but I'll be keeping a closer eye on both against the Dubs should they be playing some part

eh????????:confused::confused::eek:

david moran was MOM in the first game and was superb the last day also when he came on, where u at those games?!!

he missed a few games then with the U21s.

one of the most positive part of the league so far IMO.

eh????????:confused::confused::eek:

david moran was MOM in the first game and was superb the last day also when he came on, where u at those games?!!

he missed a few games then with the U21s.

one of the most positive part of the league so far IMO.

No I miss some Kerry matches due to either work or being out of the county for the week-end and resorted to RK coverage online (needs must and all that). I'll keep an eye out the next day though. Sounds promising anyway.

• Advertisement

Ciarraí V Baile Atha Cliath
    Allianz Football League Sunday 29th March
    Friday, 27 March 2009
    The Kerry team to play Dublin on Sunday next is as follows:
    Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    Paul Galvin (Finuge) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)
    Colm Cooper Colm Cuipéir (Dr. Crokes) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)
    Fir Ionad:
    Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Anthony Maher (Duagh) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) and Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)
    The following players were not considered for selection due to injury: Donnacha Walsh, Tadhg Kennelly, Killian Young, Declan O'Sullivan and Marc Ó Sé.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement