Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships to be completed in calendar year from 2016

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think all competitions would benefit from having a more defined window, rather than having so much overlap between competitions. Finishing the club competition in the calendar year means it does not happen at the same time as county leagues, National League, U21 football, third level competitions, etc. At least in October/November, club football and hurling would be the main competitions and so would be more in the spotlight and get more exposure.

The finals on Paddys Day is great for casual fans who go for the event rather than having a vested interest in any team. I cant imagine it is ideal for players who could be working the days either side of the final which is not good preparation or for celebrating. It must also be very difficult for managers and players to peak around October, again in March and possibly again during the summer for county. At least finishing the competition in the same year means the club keeps their players together and they can stay focused on their goal. A Saturday night under lights could make for a great atmosphere and probably suit the players/managers/fans of the clubs involved a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't like the idea of the all ireland finals being played in August.I takes away a full month of massive exposure for the GAA.

Very few counties will benefit from changing the All Ireland final date however the GAA as a whole will lose out.
    Why do you think the GAA would miss out on massive exposure if the AI Finals were moved to August? Is it just that the build up could be shortened or concern over clashing with other sporting events? The later stages of the championships dont have to change but I would prefer to see the provincial championships condensed to give more time to club games - this could be done either by starting later or finishing earlier. There is no need for the Championships to span 5 months - May, June, July, August & September with it only getting interesting in August, 3 months in! I also think it makes sense to complete the club championships in the calendar year (the only argument against seems to be losing the final on Paddys Day) and to facilitate this, the AI Championships would have to finish earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Why do you think the GAA would miss out on massive exposure if the AI Finals were moved to August? Is it just that the build up could be shortened or concern over clashing with other sporting events? The later stages of the championships dont have to change but I would prefer to see the provincial championships condensed to give more time to club games - this could be done either by starting later or finishing earlier. There is no need for the Championships to span 5 months - May, June, July, August & September with it only getting interesting in August, 3 months in! I also think it makes sense to complete the club championships in the calendar year (the only argument against seems to be losing the final on Paddys Day) and to facilitate this, the AI Championships would have to finish earlier.

GAA championship season is from May To September.This is the time when our games get the most exposure and are the main sports stories.

We shorten our season from May to August and it means that GAA misses out on 90% of the coverage it gets in September and the amount of exposure the GAA gets in national media is reduced significantly.You can only fit so much news about any sport in the papers,TV etc so decreasing the length of the championship season won't increase exposure in the other months of the championship.

If the GAA want to make a change they should do it properly and completely revamp the structures of the main competitions.A half arsed measure like this well have more negatives then positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think the number of articles about GAA in the Examiner, Times and Independant over the course of the season is in the top 1,000 of considerations as to why this is a good or bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think the number of articles about GAA in the Examiner, Times and Independant over the course of the season is in the top 1,000 of considerations as to why this is a good or bad idea.

I disagree.

One of the main benefits of Intercounty GAA is that it provides the GAA with nationwide media coverage and acts as a massive advertisement for the games as a whole.

As a result our competitions at Intercounty level should be structured to get as much exposure for the association as possible.If you don't do that then intercounty GAA loses a large part of its purpose.

The simple solution to the club fixtures issue is to play club championships throughout the inter county championship season.If inter county players and managers may not like it but if county boards and club player stand up to them there is nothing they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't agree that not having it on St Patricks Day will affect attendances. The die hard followers of the competing clubs will travel regardless. But there would probably be a fairly sizable number of people (both Dubs and non Dubs) who won't go near the game, or travel up for it, due to the madness of Dublin on St Patricks Day itself & all the parade crowds. Town is packed, the pubs are a mess, hotels and restaurants are fully booked, packed buses, Luas trams & Darts, drunken tourists puking everywhere, no parking within an arses roar of Croker, due to all the parade crowds dumping their cars before heading into town.

Most of those puking are not tourists but persons living not far from Nelson's Pillar. The puking dissuades tourists, if anything.
    I can see plenty of people staying away from Croker on March 17th, because of all that messiness & drama. Not so, if the club final was on a stand alone day by itself. The idea of having our club finals on our national holiday is a lovely idea, but it is very impractical from a logical point of view imo.

So when would the new final take place? The Sunday before Xmas? No crowds or madness then at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Most of those puking are not tourists but persons living not far from Nelson's Pillar. The puking dissuades tourists, if anything.

So when would the new final take place? The Sunday before Xmas? No crowds or madness then at all!
    Easily set for early-mid December or earlier with strict rules on when club championships have to be finished and if they're not then that county doesn't have a team in provincial championship that year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I used to live in the heart of the city centre. In my experience, the majority of people attending the parade, would be tourists.

Anyway, whether they are natives or tourists, you are making my point for me. The over all messiness of St Patrick's Day, stops people from going to the club final. That includes native Dubs, who would avoid town like the plague on St Patricks Day, as well as people living in rural areas, who would love to go to the club final, but they don't want to deal with the Paddys Day messiness either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres aparantly a meeting tomorrow on the matter so there might be news on whats to happen by the end of the weekend.
    (on the other hand, maybe not, knowing the way these things go in the GAA!)
    Club changes could lead to August dates for All-Ireland senior finals

Bringing the All-Ireland senior and minor finals forward to August could be necessary if the club deciders are to played before Christmas.
    Central Council has already agreed in principle to play the AIB All-Ireland club championships before Christmas in future years.

The sub-committee charged with working out the scheduling details will meet tomorrow night to consider a menu of scheduling options. If agreement is reached on a specific proposal, it will be brought before Central Council on Saturday. Otherwise, a decision will be deferred until January's meeting.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/club-changes-could-lead-to-august-dates-for-allireland-senior-finals-30703918.html

Advertisement