Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

gaa gymwork

• 19-12-2012 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi im 18 and just coming out of minor to start training with the senior team next year. im in the gym and i look like a normal 18 year old woould. Now i need to put on a lot more muscle to have a chance of starting with the seniors. Any tips?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Enjoy your 2 or 3 seasons with the Under 21s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheldor69

well we just won the u21 but i would liike to make the break through this year or next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

sheldor69 wrote: »
    well we just won the u21 but i would liike to make the break through this year or next year

When does your pre-season start? Mid Feb or March? or am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Compound lifting and increasing your clean calorie intake would be a good way to go. Adding 2L of milk to your ordinary diet is a solid way of doing this.

Look up strong lifts 5x5 for a guideline.

Basically you should be concentrating on doing 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps of the core lifts 3 times a week.

That's squat/deadlift + bench/incline bench + bent-over row each gym day. You can add auxilliary excercises like pull-ups and core-work as you see fit.

Burkatron wrote: »
    When does your pre-season start? Mid Feb or March? or am I way off?

January but it will be fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭aria1

This is another nice simple beginner programme for the big lifts.

AFP.

Thanks guys really thankful for feedback if it's any help I'm 6"2 and 170 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

January but it will be fitness

Yeah, good luck bulking up while doing conditioning & field work, it's going to be extremely tough for recovery! You'd be better served waiting till you have a couple of months off to have a real run at stacking on size! Not impossible but it's hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

skill > speed > muscle for making the breakthrough imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Enjoy your 2 or 3 seasons with the Under 21s?

Probably the type of attitude that explains why Limerick play in Div.4

• Advertisement

Any idea on how much calories I should be getting in to me a day?

skill > speed > muscle for making the breakthrough imo

Yes, but it won't hurt to get stronger. This thread isn't about arguing the pros and cons of gaa players doing strength training anyway, the OP was looking for advice on how to gain a bit of muscle.

The fact remains though, that 99% senior GAA players spend a decent amount of time doing strength & conditioning training.

Any idea on how much calories I should be getting in to me a day?

I'd say 3200-3500 at a rough guess. It depends how much aerobic exercise you'll be doing when the gaa fitness training starts up.

Basically just lump a load of food into yourself. Protein and creatine are grand if you want to take them, but not absolutely necessary.

Nuts are good. Unsalted if possible. And milk, as I said earlier. Good luck and let us know how you're getting on!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

washman3 wrote: »
    Probably the type of attitude that explains why Limerick play in Div.4

How are you still here?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Base all your training on compound lifts. Squat,bench,deadlift,press,power clean. A programme like Starting Strength will do if you can't get yourself with a good coach.

Nutrition wise,go to Lyle McDonald's website - www.bodyrecomposition.com and read everything on muscle gain and fat loss. Ill post the articles I found best another time (I'm using my phone at the moment)

Conditioning,look at Will Heffernan's videos and old posts on this area.

Finally,skill and performing well in training should come ahead of everything. It's no use squatting big and running great Spider times if you can't control the ball well and end up on the bench as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

hi im 18 and just coming out of minor to start training with the senior team next year. im in the gym and i look like a normal 18 year old woould. Now i need to put on a lot more muscle to have a chance of starting with the seniors. Any tips?
    Putting on muscle. Nutrition will obviously be crucial. Foods with high protein should be consumed. Eggs, meats low fat milk would be a good option.
    For the workouts focus on compound exerises. Squat, deadlift and bench. I would also perform dynamic warm up befor each session have your glutes and hips properly warmed up. Hip mobility will help with your sprinting in your sport. 2 or 3 times a week go with this ( depending on your recovery capacity and GAA sessions)

Dynamic warm up(search youtube) maybe some jumping exersise to assist explosiveness
    Squat 3 Sets x5-8 reps
    deadlift 3x 5-8
    Bench 3x5-6 (less reps required on upper body)

Focus first of all on good form o these exercises (youtube demonstartions)

Thanks for all the help lads. Since starting this post iv put on 18lbs. So now I'm 186lbs which isn't bad since I'm 6ft2. Although iv had a number of hamstring injuries in this period. Unfortunately I thought squatting would fix this problem but instead that left me with big quads and neglected hamstrings. So now I'm focusing on hyper extensions and hamstring work with resistance bands, also trying to increase my hip strenght and mobility, does anyone have any excercise to do so? With regards gaining weight, I did te usual of increasing calorie intake. mooju chocolate milk by avonmore was a great tool to do so. It's handy to drink a 750ml carton with lunch and it contains around 35g of protein and 500 calories, so since there's usually a 2 for €2.50 euro deal on I'd drink 2 a day. Also when it comes to supplements I have impact whey protein for myprotein.con. It was just the best value for money a 5kg bag would cost around 70 euro. Gym wise I find most people train the same, use the same lifts, so iv split my days into push, pull and legs. This forum was very useful for a beginner starting off. I'm no model, but I'm at a good weight, my strenght is up to senior standard and iv managed to keep my speed. So hopefully once I come back from my latest hamstring setback il be in flying form

Well done mate. Getting the hips sorted is a great idea. I've a had hamstring issues myself, and done loads of reading up on all the different causes. In my experience, tight glutes and hips that are pulled all over the place by the surrounding musculature are more usually the cause of hamstring issues than hamstring weakness per se, although it can't hurt to improve hammy strength.

Nordic hamstring curls are great, as well as romanian deadlifts and good-mornings.

In terms of mobility work, look up kelly starrett on youtube, he has piles of excellent advice. Look into the couch stretch, it's done wonders for me.

Here's a good one to get you started:

Ye I just literally started to put Nordic hamstring curls into my gym routine over the last 5 days. Only annoying thing iv to do them with a partner.
    Sweet, that video helps a lot. Ye the area from the Glutes out to my hip has been my downfall over the past 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd recommend yoga. Some places will do sports specific stuff that looks after glutes, hips, upper legs and lower back in particular. A good class will involve a lot of these though anyway. The one I go to does a lot of the hip and glute stuff that Kelly Starrett would cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd recommend going to a S&C and get a proper program done up!

Pushing exercises for show, pulling exercises for go.

Advertisement