Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Many Irish in the British Army...

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Do intervals for a month, find a football pitch do one lap slow, sprint one lap, one lap slow, sprint a lap for 12 laps, you will be hitting 9.30 in a month, if you are doing 10.13 now.

You do a 3/4 mile squadded run at a medium pace before the 1.5 mile timed run. Which you do as a group, thus its a competive race in effect.

If you are less then 12.5 stone, run/train as suggest in previous post for 4 months, also throw in interval runs once a week, you should not have a problem with this.

...Another great way to get seriously fit for those who find running every day boring, get a punchbag, go flat ot for 3 mins, press ups for 90 seconds, flat out on bag for 3 mins, sit ups 90 secounds, flat out on bag for 3 minutes, squats for 90 secounds, flat out on bag for 3 mins, pull ups for 90 seconds.

.....If you hate running, alternate it with the above, work towards 9 x 3 min rounds plus 90 second circuits.

Your fitness will go through the roof.

I don't mind the running so much once I have music to listen too :). I don't really have anywhere to jog or run except on the main N7 or there is a GAA pitch at the back of me but its not the most even of ground :(. Can you lay it out for me on the table. At the moment I jog every day, no sprinting, for min 1.5 miles, then come home and do various sit-ups for 30 secs at a time. Then do push ups, can get 15 but heading to 20 I really start to struggle without having to stop. I also do pull-ups maybe 3 sets of 8. I'll also do chair dips or else il use 2 chairs for the dips.

In you opinion how much further do I need to go to reach Para fitness? I do get out of breath jogging thats prob why I can't sprint. I can't go to the gym for 2 reasons. 1st is I can't afford it, 2nd is I have to cycle 14 k to get to it then workout then cycle 14k back home then go to work.

Advise please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No need to run morning and evening, and there's nothing to be gained by giving it 100% each time. You need to rest and recover to improve.
    In you opinion how much further do I need to go to reach Para fitness? I do get out of breath jogging thats prob why I can't sprint. I can't go to the gym for 2 reasons. 1st is I can't afford it, 2nd is I have to cycle 14 k to get to it then workout then cycle 14k back home then go to work.

You're miles off, but you can get there.

First off, try running longer distances. Running 1.5 miles is not enough. Secondly, you should be clearing 50 press ups easily. I've mentioned taking days off, and I've mentioned not going 100% all the time. Insteat of doing 15/16 push ups and failing, try doing 5 sets of 7, then a week later try 5 sets of 8, and onwards like that, and then maybe after 3 weeks try see how many you can do in 2 minutes. Same applies to sit ups.

Also, do what cruasder777 said regarding the punchbags, and sprints. Everything helps at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

I don't mind the running so much once I have music to listen too :). I don't really have anywhere to jog or run except on the main N7 or there is a GAA pitch at the back of me but its not the most even of ground :(. Can you lay it out for me on the table. At the moment I jog every day, no sprinting, for min 1.5 miles, then come home and do various sit-ups for 30 secs at a time. Then do push ups, can get 15 but heading to 20 I really start to struggle without having to stop. I also do pull-ups maybe 3 sets of 8. I'll also do chair dips or else il use 2 chairs for the dips.

Advise please?

If you do press ups 2 or 3x a day you should be hitting 40 in a month easily. Buy a pull up bar as well. Practice every day.

When you run, twice a week sprint at least for two minutes x 4 during the run. Jog slowly to recover, dont stop, it has a much more dramatic effect then just jogging at the same pace.

If you are doing 10.13 now, if you run 5 x a week and put in sprints 1 or 2 x a week you should be hitting 9.30 in a month, easilly.

But its not just about that, it sounds like you need to work on the psychological side of things as well, ie being able to keep going when there is nothing in the tank and not complaining, take up a sport like kick boxing and you develop this attitude, you need to develop inner resolve, when its raining and dark and you have a bergen digging into your back and you are cold, hungry you need to be able to dig deep.

If not your mind will talk you into quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

If you do press ups 2 or 3 a day you should be hitting 40 in a month easily. Buy a pull up bar as well. Practice every day.

When you run, twice a week sprint at least for two minutes x 4 during the run. Jog slowly to recover, dont stop, it has a much more dramatic effect then just jogging at the same pace.

If you are doing 10.13 now, if you run 5 x a week and put in sprints 1 or 2 x a week you should be hitting 9.30 in a month, easilly.

But its not just about that, it sounds like you need to work on the psychological side of things as well, ie being able to keep going when there is nothing in the tank and not complaining, take up a sport like kick boxing and you develop this attitude, you need to develop inner resolve, when its raining and dark and you have a bergen digging into your back and you are cold, hungry you need to be able to dig deep.

If not your mind will talk you into quitting.

Thanks for the advice Discus and Cruasder, Il give it a go and see how I get on. Not sure when or if Il get called for inital interview and BARB but im just trying to get prepared now in case I do get to fitness assesment sooner more so than Later. Il go for a run in the morning and see how I get on. I have Whey Isolate here and I'l have some pasta early before going,. I find even if I have water imed before going out it puts me out of breath alot sooner than if I went out on empty. Cheers guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

The thing to remember is that whatever we say about each other,

a. we can say it because either we are there.

OR

b. we've been there and come back.

Civilians are NOT allowed to make disparaging remarks about the Armed Forces, or of any part of it, regardless of the opinions of those who post here from a position of either a. or b.

Those of us in the 'club' may one day find ourselves fighting alongside, suffering and maybe dying beside or in the company of those that we are happy to take the p!ss out of today.

Regardless of hat badge or the colour of the beret that it's on - they ARE are our brothers.

And as we all know, you can take the p!ss out of your brothers as much as you like.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

All very true Tac. It's banter now, but I imagine that Telic and Herrick are the reason why the 3 forces are less at odds at the enlisted level. As soon as afghan is over, it'll be back to beating the **** out of each other all over Wiltshire/Portsmouth/Wherever...

That is, when pubs and clubs start serving squaddies again in Wiltshire :mad:

Advertisement