Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game Boy PC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Dremel - Tool, of the Gods.

I'm really happy with the new Dremel I must say. The vice is great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm am looking for a few faulty ones on eBay but so far they're all in very bad condition.

No way?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    No way?

I think Steve means cosmetically they're in bad shape, he doesn't care so much for the innards. A faulty one in good exterior condition is what he's after

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think Steve means cosmetically they're in bad shape, he doesn't care so much for the innards. A faulty one in good exterior condition is what he's after

I know what he means, was just taking the piss out of him!

They're more likely to be faulty from shock and falls rather than components failing.

Yeah, cases way to yellow to make it worthwhile. Most of the faults you see with the DMG-01 are screen related as it has some issues there.

I'll stay on the lookout as I'm sure mistakes will be made on this first mod.

• Advertisement

Looks like that mini joypad I got will fit well into the controls area of the GB. And I should be able to re-use the original GB Dpad and buttons, which I'm glad about.

dsc1165nef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

nice pick, that ribbon on the hinge gives you a nice bit of leeway for positioning in the case. I'm eager to see how you intend to secure the boards inside the case, as it's something I have little experience with myself.

Spacedog wrote: »
    nice pick, that ribbon on the hinge gives you a nice bit of leeway for positioning in the case. I'm eager to see how you intend to secure the boards inside the case, as it's something I have little experience with myself.

Yeah, I knew it had a ribbon cable inside and was hoping it was nice and flexible(which it is). Actually securing it inside the case will be an interesting little mod as there isn't exactly a load of room in there.

I have a feeling this mod might be using a lot of Sugru :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I have a feeling this mod might be using a lot of Sugru :D

Never heard of that stuff before !! Seems perfect for a few jobs I have in mind :D

Never heard of that stuff before !! Seems perfect for a few jobs I have in mind :D

Sugru, dont leave home without it :)

• Advertisement

Few more sample parts arrived for the non Game Boy case for the Pi. Some thicker acrylic for the base to weigh the case down a little and some different coloured parts for the top and sides as well as a few other bits.
    This seller is great and sent all this to me free of charge and even paid the 17 euro postage charge as well as a previous 13 euro charge for some parts I got last week.

Couple of quick pics(bit blurry :o )
    photo1gbf.jpg

You can see the thicker base plastic in this pic:
    photo2xt.jpg

All these parts have a plastic wrap on them to protect the acrylic so will be much cleaner and clearer when that's removed.

That's great,

but because of brats like you it will mean higher shipping costs for the rest of us! :p

Unfortunately I decided not to sell the cases on eBay anymore due to problems with the Belgian post. I did everything to keep the shipping costs as low as possible but I got lots of problems with broken parts, delayed deliveries, lost items, ... To avoid all this, the only option is sending the enclosures in a box instead of a foam padded envelope and use a tracking number.
    As the Belgian postage rates are very high this, would cost 13,20 euro (+/- GBP 11) (Bpack world light 0-350g + option registered mail), which is quite unreasonable for a GBP 15 item.

I plan to offer the cases via my website, but with the high shipping cost (1-3 cases 13,20 euro, 4-10 cases 17,35 euro).

That's great,

but because of brats like you it will mean higher shipping costs for the rest of us! :p

Well perhaps you might be able to purchase the same case from somewhere a bit more local in the near future :D

Well perhaps you might be able to purchase the same case from somewhere a bit more local in the near future :D

Hehehe, I did not forsee this!

I have my Rpi on the backburner atm, going through a fair lazy gaming intensive period of my life!

Ok, I broke ground(so to speak) on the Game Boy mod today.

After much planning I've decided to remove the battery compartment and utilise that space to fit the Pi and have the USB and NIC connections facing out the bottom of the case. The plan now is to try and get extenders for the remaining connections and feed them up to the top of the case and have them all there, leaving the sides free for other things that I might like to have(extend the GPIO pins to a side port maybe).

The case closes over perfectly by the way.

It's a bit rough at the moment and needs some fine sanding but the basic plan is there. I'll be using Sugru to cushion certain parts as well as to cover up any mistakes in the cutting towards the end of the mod. When I'm done I might just get another Game Boy and redo the whole thing as I'll have learned from my mistakes and can hopefully do it perfectly then, maybe.

dsc1408gy.jpg

dsc1409.jpg

I use the Sandisk Extreme class 10 30MB/s SDHC without any issues at all.
    Great performance on them compared to a lesser card and as you know the whole OS sits on them so every bit helps.

This new camera module is going to make your PiBoy very reminiscent of the Game Boy Camera! ;)

Linky for people that may not have seen:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1254

This new camera module is going to make your PiBoy very reminiscent of the Game Boy Camera! ;)

Linky for people that may not have seen:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1254

Yeah, looks good alright. Hopefully they can get it out quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Irish company selling them for €16 inc shipping
    http://www.shop4memory.com/products/secure-digital.asp#sdhc

Edit: my bad, their only 23mbps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

So, it looks like I'll be at least trying to squeeze a 3.5" LCD into the Game Boy PC and hooking it up to the composite video on the Pi. It's the only way of getting a working screen in it right now as the drivers for the DSI enabled screens just don't seem to be coming any time soon.
    It means hacking the front of the device and I'm a bit worried it will come out looking crap, but I really want a screen in this thing.

Anyway, I've ordered a cheap (12 euro) screen that should be here next week and will give it a go then. The LCD looks similar to the car reversing screen used for the Nomad mod but is a bit higher in resolution and probably lower in quality.

So, it looks like I'll be at least trying to squeeze a 3.5" LCD into the Game Boy PC and hooking it up to the composite video on the Pi. It's the only way of getting a working screen in it right now as the drivers for the DSI enabled screens just don't seem to be coming any time soon.
    It means hacking the front of the device and I'm a bit worried it will come out looking crap, but I really want a screen in this thing.

Anyway, I've ordered a cheap (12 euro) screen that should be here next week and will give it a go then. The LCD looks similar to the car reversing screen used for the Nomad mod but is a bit higher in resolution and probably lower in quality.

What kind of linux do you plan on running on the Game Boy PC?

I'd say you'll be tweaking the distro / GUI so it looks good on a low resolution screen?

Since you're a code guru and all! :)

What kind of linux do you plan on running on the Game Boy PC?

I'd say you'll be tweaking the distro / GUI so it looks good on a low resolution screen?

Since you're a code guru and all! :)

I'm not that worried about the GUI just yet. Hopefully someone else will have come up with a nice functional low res interface that I can modify by the time I get to that stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Will you hurry up and build it already!!!!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Will you hurry up and build it already!!!!

If I rush it it'll end up like that abomination of a multi console system in the other thread (you know, sh1t). Anyway, I'm in no rush as the software side of things is still a bit crappy on the Pi.

Hopefully I'll have a small screen hooked up at the weekend so it will start to look a bit decent. Not looking forward to trying to jam a 3.5" screen onto the front of the Game Boy. Think I'll be needing a few trys at that one (all donation Game Boys accepted :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've only got one classic gameboy and you can't have it!
    There are some on Adverts but they are, apparently, R@RE!!!! and cost around €100...
    tad steep....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've only got one classic gameboy and you can't have it!
    There are some on Adverts but they are, apparently, R@RE!!!! and cost around €100...
    tad steep....

Yeah, lot of rare Game Boys knocking around. Even the faulty ones are going for 15-20 sterling on ebay :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If I rush it it'll end up like that abomination of a multi console system in the other thread

How about you follow suit and try to fit 20 consoles inside the thing? You could start by putting a gameboy in it and see where it goes from there :pac:

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    How about you follow suit and try to fit 20 consoles inside the thing? You could start by putting a gameboy in it and see where it goes from there :pac:

Don't be tempting me.
    I'm in a very destructively creative mood lately :eek:

Advertisement