Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

well, that was the best gig i've been to in a long time, definitely haven't enjoyed a metallica gig as much since they toured the black album. the stage set up was excellent, loved creeping death, thrilled when they played sanitarium too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Decent set there. Always good to see Blackened.

I have to say that I hate them always finishing with Seek and Destroy. Completely overrated song IMO. Just don't get why everyone loves it so much. It's the most boring song on Kill 'Em All for me.

Still, I'd say it was a good show. Dying for a good gig now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Metallica - Raining Beachballs

blackened, branded beachballs. bizarre

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Finally managed to get one of those black beachballs (after 4 gigs on this tour!)

One of the pictures I nabbed last night:

28409_438357374672_625764672_5309552_3486472_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

i wanted a beachball :( oh well. i was snap happy. got a ton of pics!

32532_390798108945_602943945_4215735_1028000_n.jpg

32532_390798263945_602943945_4215755_4148789_n.jpg

32532_390798993945_602943945_4215838_2451517_n.jpg

32532_390798643945_602943945_4215799_4917803_n.jpg

32532_390798773945_602943945_4215813_1374743_n.jpg

32532_390798823945_602943945_4215819_3599477_n.jpg
    hetfield smirking at me! :D

32532_390799003945_602943945_4215840_4155703_n.jpg

32532_390799013945_602943945_4215841_4041904_n.jpg

32532_390799138945_602943945_4215858_2793758_n.jpg

32532_390799163945_602943945_4215862_2725635_n.jpg

32532_390799258945_602943945_4215875_8214381_n.jpg
    AH BALLS! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

their setlist was a lot like they were playing in the UK back in Feb 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I sooooooooooooo wanna see them indoors. I wish they'd come and play in the 02 in Dublin!?

I'm still amazed that they didn't come this time. Would also love them to play the o2 - in fact anywhere other than Marley Park - it's just so unaccessable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭dasdog

Great pictures. Although I'm a bit cyncial of their stuff from 90/91 onwards I did enjoy their RDS gig in 2004. I got a bootleg copy of them playing in the (in)famous Ruthie's Inn under the name The Four Horsemen from 1985 today. I don't listen to much metal anymore and the sound quality is a bit shoddy but holy crap the energy they had back then was just unreal:

Creeping Death
    Ride the Lightning
    Bass Solo
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    No Remorse
    The Money Will Roll Right In (Fang cover?)
    London Dungeon (Misfits cover?)
    Blitzkrieg
    Whiplash
    Am I Evil?
    Motorbreath
    Phantom Lord
    Seek & Destroy
    Fight Fire With Fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Degag wrote: »
    I'm still amazed that they didn't come this time. Would also love them to play the o2 - in fact anywhere other than Marley Park - it's just so unaccessable!

marley park is shag hard to get in and of off but I was at the last two concerts there for Metallica and have to say they were great gigs. Would love to see them indoors though cnat wait for them to come back to dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think I heard somewhere that the current stage wouldn't fit adequately into the new Point so that's why they went up to Belfast. Don't quote me on that though, it's something I think I heard a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Ah now folks. Belfast is only a few hours up the road from Dublin; you missed a great show. It's great to have seen them indoors after numerous outdoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I think I heard somewhere that the current stage wouldn't fit adequately into the new Point so that's why they went up to Belfast. Don't quote me on that though, it's something I think I heard a while back.

I thought they were just trying to play places that they don't normally play this time.
    Ah now folks. Belfast is only a few hours up the road from Dublin; you missed a great show. It's great to have seen them indoors after numerous outdoor gigs.

Ye, I was really surprised by the lack of interest in this gig down south. The bus service to Belfast is great.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Ye, I was really surprised by the lack of interest in this gig down south. The bus service to Belfast is great.

Hardcore Southern fans went to this gig, but considering it was the first Northern Irish gig since 1988 and both dates sold out in less then 24 hours for the most part and that most of the fans who come down to Dublin for the Southern gigs over the last couple of years have either been from England or the North...to be quite honest, there's not been a massive influx of Irish Metallica fans since 1986....just the same one's and a handful of new ones since 2003

I mean, look at it this way, they wouldn't have come close to selling out a show in Dublin...an indoor show would have been too small, the North would have complained they didn't get a look in, and this way they got two nights and made almost everyone happy

Hardcore Southern fans went to this gig, but considering it was the first Northern Irish gig since 1988 and both dates sold out in less then 24 hours for the most part and that most of the fans who come down to Dublin for the Southern gigs over the last couple of years have either been from England or the North...to be quite honest, there's not been a massive influx of Irish Metallica fans since 1986....just the same one's and a handful of new ones since 2003

I mean, look at it this way, they wouldn't have come close to selling out a show in Dublin...an indoor show would have been too small, the North would have complained they didn't get a look in, and this way they got two nights and made almost everyone happy

I'm hardcore! :pac:
    I know they don't normally sell out in Dublin, least not at that rate but this was an indoor gig made extra special by the stage set up etc, I'd be damned if I was gona miss that. I have not yet been in the O2 so can't comment on that, will be there for rage soon though.
    When I was heading up, there were about 2 other people in bus aras heading to the gig, I was shocked! You think maybe the northern fans jumped on the chance at tickets while the southerners pondered the annoyance of travelling to Belfast for the gig and missed out? A lot of people seem to have given up on them but they missed out big time I think, this gig was fresh, the new stuff sounded great live and the support bands were well worth a look in.

You think maybe the northern fans jumped on the chance at tickets while the southerners pondered the annoyance of travelling to Belfast for the gig and missed out?.

I think that's what happened actually, there's the hardcore fan like ourselves who hears a Metallica gig announced and would rather pay for the ticket then pay the rent lol...and yet there's the casual, "O'll go if my mates goin" fan who has filled the outdoor arenas on a Summers day for the past 4 gigs in Dublin

Most hardcore fans, like our friend on the Meet and Greet footage, go to Europe sooner then Dublin to hear Metallica live because they want indoor material and I think the hardcore fans got tickets...the one's who could afford it anyway...and the casual fans just taught about it too long or couldn't go if Daddy wouldn't drive them

I think that's what happened actually, there's the hardcore fan like ourselves who hears a Metallica gig announced and would rather pay for the ticket then pay the rent lol...and yet there's the casual, "O'll go if my mates goin" fan who has filled the outdoor arenas on a Summers day for the past 4 gigs in Dublin

Most hardcore fans, like our friend on the Meet and Greet footage, go to Europe sooner then Dublin to hear Metallica live because they want indoor material and I think the hardcore fans got tickets...the one's who could afford it anyway...and the casual fans just taught about it too long or couldn't go if Daddy wouldn't drive them

I wouldn't quite fall in into the hardcore fan category, only 4 metallica gigs under my belt, lets hope they keep playing for a while, at least another 20 years like yer man on the video lol but I would jump at the chance to go when I can, if I had any money at all, that's it, tickets straight away. But there was quite an air of indifference about this gig, for instance one guy beside me at the barrier only got the ticket for the gig that morning, I don't know how. And there was a whole big gang of irritating school kids at the barrier too. I probably heard more foreigners there than southerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Sickened I couldn't get up to this, but with the two shows being on exam days for me it was a no go :mad:
    Sounds like a great show , hope il get to see them indoors one day haha.

anyways thought id post the videos from the Metallica site :cool:
    From night 1 , Night 2 vids not been uploaded yet

Tuning room:

aaand Sanitarium :D

I wouldn't quite fall in into the hardcore fan category, only 4 metallica gigs under my belt, lets hope they keep playing for a while, at least another 20 years like yer man on the video lol

I understand what you're saying but I think any fan who has been more then 2 or 3 gigs is a hardcore fan, take my brother for example, the type of person who goes to see a band once - whoever it is - and says there's no point in going to see them again for at least 5 to 7 years....I would be of the opinion that if I like a band, enjoyed the concert and if they came again and I had the money I would go and see them. I would even go two nights in a row if I got the chance

I understand what you're saying but I think any fan who has been more then 2 or 3 gigs is a hardcore fan, take my brother for example, the type of person who goes to see a band once - whoever it is - and says there's no point in going to see them again for at least 5 to 7 years....I would be of the opinion that if I like a band, enjoyed the concert and if they came again and I had the money I would go and see them. I would even go two nights in a row if I got the chance

I would be like that too, I would have gone to the 2 nights in Belfast if I could get tickets in time and I'd be damn enthusiastic about going.

I would be like that too, I would have gone to the 2 nights in Belfast if I could get tickets in time and I'd be damn enthusiastic about going.

The only thing that worries me is that Metallica are not still as enthusiastic about creating new music. Sure, James tells the guy that there is no reason to retire from Metallica, and that it's a "lifelong" thing...but seriously, they have to be a little more creative, instead of always looking back on themselves. I have always been of the perception that Jason Newsted left the band because he could see Metallica simply going around and around on this bandwagon and even when they produce a good album, praised by millions, that actually makes No 1 in the UK in 2008....they still sideline it....

Take the recent two DVD releases - there was a French one and a Mexican one - The fact that even Metallica themselves are sidelining their latter-day relevance in favour of a history lesson is an act of self-deception. Why the best two Metallica songs in decades - "That Was Just Your Life" and "The End Of The Line" - have been banished to a second DVD as `bonus' tracks when these two songs opened 80% of the tour shows and are, with no understatement, stunning, is baffling and kicks Metallica's perception to that of a nostalgia act : they deserve better.

Metallica recorded a Mexican show, in 1994, and the setlist from that show represents the current album promotion - you're not likely to want to hear 'Through The Never' as a staple at every Metallica show now, but you're glad a live version is on Binge and Purge. So why didn't the band have the confidence in their current material that they obviously had in the Black album. They've been touring it almost as long now.

We need to hope that whenever the next Metallica album gets made, which is most likely going to be stuff left over from the expansive Death Magnetic sessions, that they treat DM with the same importance as MOP or The Black Album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Just 1 of 4 clips Ive posted on Youtube of the Belfast gigs...

This was taken from the 2nd show. I was delighted that Kirk stayed my side of the stage for the solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Depends where you're going from really. I live in Kerry so it would be a 10 hour bus journey - it takes 7 to get to Dublin with all the stops - and the local airport doesn't service Belfast. I'm not complaining either though, i could have gotten the bus to Cork and then flew onto Belfast for example, but i'd be going on my own and going to an "unfamiliar" city just didn't appeal to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to one of their gigs in the UK or indeed mainland Europe though at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Metallica - Raining Beachballs

blackened, branded beachballs. bizarre

Managed to grab one of the huge beach balls on the 2nd night. Wasnt leaving without one! :D

The only thing that worries me is that Metallica are not still as enthusiastic about creating new music. Sure, James tells the guy that there is no reason to retire from Metallica, and that it's a "lifelong" thing...but seriously, they have to be a little more creative, instead of always looking back on themselves. I have always been of the perception that Jason Newsted left the band because he could see Metallica simply going around and around on this bandwagon and even when they produce a good album, praised by millions, that actually makes No 1 in the UK in 2008....they still sideline it....<......>

Ye I would have to agree they completely sideline it, they really don't do much to shake this the old stuff is the best attitude. Their new album deserves far more credit, they are still ripping it up with stuff like all nightmare long and doing an equally great job with the more ballady stuff like the unforgiven III. Yet the whole show is just a throwback to the classics, finishing with seek and destroy, stapling sandman and nothing else matters in there, it's like they're afraid to shake things too much. Look at the most recent set list:
    Date:
    May 14, 2010
    Venue:
    Puskas Ferenc Stadium
    Other Artists:
    Setlist:
    Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Through The Never
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    Fade To Black
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End Of The Line
    The Day That Never Comes
    Sad But True
    Cyanide
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Blackened
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Helpless
    Motorbreath
    Seek and Destroy

The first DM song is 6 songs in, wtf? Is this not the World Magnetic tour coz I'm getting hard to remember. And even at that, they're all bunched together as if best get this lot out of the way. I found it weird when James said that about no reason to retire, I just don't think he really believes that. It's hard for people to fully embrace the new album if they don't themselves.

Depends where you're going from really. I live in Kerry so it would be a 10 hour bus journey - it takes 7 to get to Dublin with all the stops - and the local airport doesn't service Belfast. I'm not complaining either though, i could have gotten the bus to Cork and then flew onto Belfast for example, but i'd be going on my own and going to an "unfamiliar" city just didn't appeal to me. It would have been a lot easier to go to one of their gigs in the UK or indeed mainland Europe though at the same time.

Oh that's awkward alright, mightn't even be any more expensive travelling elsewhere so.

I found it weird when James said that about no reason to retire, I just don't think he really believes that. It's hard for people to fully embrace the new album if they don't themselves.

I taught that comment was a dig at Jason, even now, I don't think James fully accepts his choice to leave the band. I think James feels that if the band finishes, which it won't, then there's little point doing anything else. Which, from a personal standpoint, is sad. I have to remark that for a band who've been producing music since 1981 it's astonishing they've not been able to do a side project...I know they've done guest appearances and there were problems with side projects, but even now, in the "post St Anger days" they should moving on

Another thing that makes the whole St Anger episode look like a marketing tool, thus eradicating any respect for the album and thus making them look like idiots for pouring their feelings in that bloody film....and another thing...check their website archive, NOTHING exists prior to 2001...other then a small mention in the history section. No video, no reviews, nothing....is this another way of making it seem as if they were "reunited" in 2003 and sure, **** what happened before then...I support Metallica, warts and all, maybe James needs to learn that's what he needs to do

In any case, I'm off to play with my Metallica Hockey Puck lol - what merchandising
    hockeypuck_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I taught that comment was a dig at Jason, even now, I don't think James fully accepts his choice to leave the band. I think James feels that if the band finishes, which it won't, then there's little point doing anything else. Which, from a personal standpoint, is sad. I have to remark that for a band who've been producing music since 1981 it's astonishing they've not been able to do a side project...I know they've done guest appearances and there were problems with side projects, but even now, in the "post St Anger days" they should moving on

Another thing that makes the whole St Anger episode look like a marketing tool, thus eradicating any respect for the album and thus making them look like idiots for pouring their feelings in that bloody film....and another thing...check their website archive, NOTHING exists prior to 2001...other then a small mention in the history section. No video, no reviews, nothing....is this another way of making it seem as if they were "reunited" in 2003 and sure, **** what happened before then...I support Metallica, warts and all, maybe James needs to learn that's what he needs to do

In any case, I'm off to play with my Metallica Hockey Puck lol - what merchandising
    hockeypuck_2.jpg

Well the archive goes back to 1998 :confused: and the timeline has photos and set lists from every show they have ever done with of course videos being available from when they started Metontour.com

I do agree with the branching out though.Would be cool to see what they could do with other artists :pac:

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I do agree with the branching out though.Would be cool to see what they could do with other artists :pac:

Ye maybe if they had branched out before they wouldn't have stunted themselves so much, I don't see it happening now though.

Ye maybe if they had branched out before they wouldn't have stunted themselves so much, I don't see it happening now though.

Newsted certainly branched out, just found out he is now displaying an art exhibition

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/ex-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-displaying-art/6796085

Social%20Media%20Image2.jpg

This is one of his actual works

• Advertisement

cool! I'd say Lars will be first in line to collect some of those :P

Advertisement