Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kingfisher, Renmore....no water!

• 09-09-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey Guys, Im a member of the Kingfisher Gym in Renmore and it really annoys me that they don't have drinking water on site except the 1L bottles of Galway water that you have to buy (E1.75 i think).
    I know you can bring your own, which i do-but it's a pain in the a**.
    I've mentioned this to them a few times. They say that regulations stipulate that a gym only have to supply water on site and selling bottled water satisfies that. I've no doubt that is true but surely we pay enough in membership that a basic like drinking water should be provided.
    They used to have a tap in the changing rooms which had a sign over "Not drinking water" but people used to use to fill their bottles anyway (me included) without any problems but they have removed the top of this tap so it can't be operated.
    Is this a cynical money making move and have any others complained?

I'm posting this here, well maybe to bitch a little, but also to encourage other members to complain to management and ask that they provide drinking water. We don't need it filtered or cooled or anything, i willing to take my chances with plain old Galway tap water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

by 'plain old galway tap water' you mean the h20 riddled with lead and cryptospalidia (sic) think you'd be better off sticking to beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It would be simple to bring a bottle of Lidl water with you. Stock up with the cheap stuff and bring it when you need it. Kingfisher obviously want you to buy water off them so beat them at their own game. They won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

It IS just a money making scheme. screwing you of extra money even after your membership fees... Not a member myself, but the tapwater there would be good to drink maybe even better than some well known bottled waters...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

That manky bug does show in the galway water every now and again.
    You dont want to be drinkin the tap water when that shows up.
    Its understandable how any premises, especially a gym, wouldnt want their clients drinkin tap water and catching a bug in their place.
    Wouldnt be good for business. Their bottled water should be way cheaper though. As is the case everywhere in Galway. Stinkin robbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

martyboy48 wrote: »
    It IS just a money making scheme. screwing you of extra money even after your membership fees... Not a member myself, but the tapwater there would be good to drink maybe even better than some well known bottled waters...

I concur
    Another gym trick is to provide a water tap, but constrain the flow so much you'll be there 10 minutes trying to fill your 500ml bottle.

Bring your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Might not be an option for you OP if you live in town. But for your next membership renewal the Gym in the Maldron (formerly Quality) Hotel in Oranmore has a water cooler in the actual gym and its free. They have a dispenser machine too on the way in where you can pay too but most people just fill their bottles from the cooler in the gym. Memebership rates are a lot cheaper too then the Kingfisher and they don't rape you with extra costs over things like water or spinning classes etc. Once you pay your membership thats all you ever pay. I switched 2 years ago and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NRG Bohermore also has a filtered dispenser in the gym itself.

Gym managers: (I'm sure you do market research by reading boards.ie) ... take note, I will NOT be joining any gym that does not provide filtered water for free, it's one of the things I specifically check for when I'm looking at your facilities.

OP, good on you for complaining, and for encouraging others to do the same. The next step is a letter to the management ('cos sometimes these things don't get passed from the desk to the bosses), telling 'em that if this doesn't change you'll be taking your business elsewhere at your next renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The Kingfisher NUIG provides drinking water.

However, you have to pay for parking (1 Euro/hour) there if you're not a student (which I think is an outrage - for the membership fee, they could easily throw in a parking permit, methinks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Might not be an option for you OP if you live in town. But for your next membership renewal the Gym in the Maldron (formerly Quality) Hotel in Oranmore has a water cooler in the actual gym and its free. They have a dispenser machine too on the way in where you can pay too but most people just fill their bottles from the cooler in the gym. Memebership rates are a lot cheaper too then the Kingfisher and they don't rape you with extra costs over things like water or spinning classes etc. Once you pay your membership thats all you ever pay. I switched 2 years ago and never looked back.

I know they have a water cooler but if you think the Maldrons gym is remotely anywhere near the quality of the Kingfisher then you're living in the clouds. I went there once to try it out, their cardio section is decent but their weights section is pathetic. No free bench, just an ancient smith machine that's actually really stiff and almost rusty. I'm a member of the Kingfisher in town and also the Oranmore lodge - the latter being a much better weights gym then the Maldron as well, despite being much smaller. They also have a water cooler though.

I do hate the water issue in the kingfisher though. The tap that used to be there has been taken off, and last week, the hot and cold taps even both dispensed hot water, I couldn't even mix my protein shake without buying their overpriced water! Ridiculous. I just bring a drink in with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

No water in a gym?

Thats typical Irish meanness.

Go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

It would be easy for them to install a filtered water fountain. They are just being stingy in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Drink. water. out. of. the. tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Ya know what's a killer??? When you forget your water bottle and you have to pay. And if you don't have the cash on you?? ( usually leave my handbag in the car), you're right screwed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

DRakE wrote: »
    Drink. water. out. of. the. tap.

Thanks for that, very helpful - I know you can drink water from the taps (although drinking water should come from a tap with a direct mains connection and sink tap water is generally from a tank in the attic and less potable. Also both taps often have hot water as mentioned). My point here was that surely fresh drinking water is a basic requirement for a gym and I wanted to highlight the situation and encourage others to complain to the management and hopefully get them to take some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

It would be easy for them to install a filtered water fountain. They are just being stingy in all fairness.

I completely agree, its really mean to have no fountain. I think it should be against the law to have a gym with no fountain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement