Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For those about to chat...

Options
  • 15-01-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I might see if a thread for general chat/off-topic discussion would be a hit. Didn't think of any catchy rock related title, so if anyone wants to suggest anything good, I'll edit it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

How about any of these?

The mosh pit, the sound cellar, the court of the crimson king, planet caravan, cornucopia or my favourite 'The Dark side of the moon'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really like the sound cellar.

So what'll we talk about that isn't rock/metal stuff? Politics? the footie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

+1 Sound Cellar

How about ChatAttack in memory of everyones favorite troll?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

I lika do da cha cha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i'd think you could put metallica in the title and that way, as of the time of posting, there'd be seven threads with metallica in the title :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mushy wrote: »
    So what'll we talk about that isn't rock/metal stuff? Politics? the footie?

Up to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Isn't there plenty of forums for nearly every topic already?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Awesome idea! :D
    Also a big fan of sound cellar, although Tommy told me for weeks he'd be able to get in the 2 disc Almighty Anthf*cknology, after about four weeks of hanging I gave up.

Still, one of the better places to get gig tickets in Dublin. :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Isn't there plenty of forums for nearly every topic already?

Yep, but I'm not starting a new forum am I? There's plenty of forums already that have a single off-topic thread, see instruments, poker and the like. Worth trying here, and if it doesn't work out, no foul. ;)
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Awesome idea! :D
    Also a big fan of sound cellar, although Tommy told me for weeks he'd be able to get in the 2 disc Almighty Anthf*cknology, after about four weeks of hanging I gave up.

Still, one of the better places to get gig tickets in Dublin. :)

Yeah, it's a great place alright, I'll still pop in there and grab something now and then. I'd be wary of calling this thread Sound Cellar though, to avoid any confusion that might arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just wait and see, everyone will come here to speak tangably about metal now.

Don't ya hate pants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Kevin Kilbane has moved to Hull City. Therefore he should play weekly football and will keep his spot in the Irish squad. Currently on 92 caps another 10 he will beat Stan to be Irelands most capped player.We will then qualify for the World Cup and even throughout a bad recession it will bring the country together in harmony. We all sit around sharing a pint with six straws watching the boys in green in pubs countrywide.Go on Killer!!!!

Don't ya hate pants?

Yes, especially stripey Spandex pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Don't ya hate pants?

Yep. I like pints though

So, in the spirit of general chat - is the recession meaning you guys are buying less music? Attending less gigs?

I'm an old b*stard & pretty much have most of the music I want, although I'm still replacing a lot of old vinyl with CD's. But most new old stuff I get these days is bootleg DVD's & all that costs me is a blank disc or two and a stamp.
    But I remember in the 80's, money was in short supply then too. I was lucky enough to be working offshore & making great munzo, so I could still buy what I wanted music-wise. There used to be a queue of my mates wanting to make copies on cassette!

Anyway, are you having to spend less/choosing to spend less/carrying on regardless cos you've gotta have sounds, man?
    :pac:

No, I don't hate pants.
    big b wrote: »
    So, in the spirit of general chat - is the recession meaning you guys are buying less music? Attending less gigs?

I'm an old b*stard & pretty much have most of the music I want, although I'm still replacing a lot of old vinyl with CD's. But most new old stuff I get these days is bootleg DVD's & all that costs me is a blank disc or two and a stamp.
    But I remember in the 80's, money was in short supply then too. I was lucky enough to be working offshore & making great munzo, so I could still buy what I wanted music-wise. There used to be a queue of my mates wanting to make copies on cassette!

Anyway, are you having to spend less/choosing to spend less/carrying on regardless cos you've gotta have sounds, man?
    :pac:

Hmm, interesting question.

I would say that I'm buying less CDs and attending less gigs, but I don't think the recession is the reason. I would say I've just been buying less and less over the last couple of years, I've got a nice selection of music, and there's nothing that I feel I really need to buy right now, you know? I suppose if there was music I wanted, I'd get it, I probably have more money these days because I've almost entirely stopped drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

big b wrote: »
    That's a very good question. I find I'm attending more or less the same amount of gigs i.e. very few because I think the last band that I love that played in Galway was probably Therapy? in 1994 :).

If anything I'm buying more music now than ever before. The Internet is great for that sort of thing. No longer do I have to depend on the recommendations of friends/television/newspapers/magazines. Now a total stranger from a country I've never been to can recommend stuff to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i've been buying less music for some time now tbh. i find i just keep listening to all the old ****. as for gigs,i only really go to bands that i'm into although i have started going abroad for gigs too.(i'm not loaded btw.:D)

Nea wrote: »
    Kevin Kilbane has moved to Hull City. Therefore he should play weekly football and will keep his spot in the Irish squad. Currently on 92 caps another 10 he will beat Stan to be Irelands most capped player.We will then qualify for the World Cup and even throughout a bad recession it will bring the country together in harmony. We all sit around sharing a pint with six straws watching the boys in green in pubs countrywide.Go on Killer!!!!

Interesting, discuss soccer without all the rigmarole of the soccer forum. I like that.

Don't get me wrong Kevin Kilbane is a solid player and one I think Trap shouldn't overlook for team selection for the coming internationals, but if we qualify I doubt he'd make the squad.

Derby County rule by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

oooh nooo soccer

*hides*

:P

damonjewel wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong Kevin Kilbane is a solid player and one I think Trap shouldn't overlook for team selection for the coming internationals, but if we qualify I doubt he'd make the squad.

I think Killer is great but would love to see him get the 100 caps. Stingy FAI probably still wont give him a testmonial. But your probably right about him not being a part of the squad WHEN we qualify. he he

To change topic Mr.Lordi will be appearing on Podge and Rodge in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

The oldest rocker in town.

No offence mate but i think thats been posted a couple of times already.

I am not buying cds and vinyl but I am downloading probably 3 times as much in material. Also now I am a dad I don't go to gigs much, I usually wait until something spectacular comes along that is well worth the effort and cash like going to see Rush in Manchester or Faust in Cork. However none of this is due to the credit crunch but just my circumstances.
    Yep. I like pints though

Me too, actually I would love a Rock and Metal boardsie p1ss up

Also any more ideas for a name for this thread?

such as the misty mountain hop; electric funeral etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thought I might see if a thread for general chat/off-topic discussion would be a hit. Didn't think of any catchy rock related title, so if anyone wants to suggest anything good, I'll edit it.

.........AND GENERAL CHAT FOR ALL!!:D

lord lucan wrote: »
    .........AND GENERAL CHAT FOR ALL!!:D
    I think that's the best title so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I'm banned from posting in Soccer and frankly am not that pushed about crawling to GY to get back in, lets talk about Liverpool - Everton! :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    As I'm banned from posting in Soccer and frankly am not that pushed about crawling to GY to get back in, lets talk about Liverpool - Everton! :pac:
    How did you get banned? As for tonight's game, given the way results went at the weekend 3 points are vital for the reds. I would hope that lessons are learned from the Stoke game and both Torres and Keane are started. They combined to good effect in the corresponding fixture in Goodison park earlier in the season :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is how - its a long thread the first 3 pages relate to the background and how I got banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055463825

Dont usually post in soccer forum and if I did about Kilbane I would probably be lynched.

Should be a good game this evening tho I wonder will there be murders as there should be plenty of beer consumed. I thought derbies were mainly an early kick off

To answer my own question on recessionary music-buying habits, I haven't curtailed my own spending really. In fact, I spent a good few bob in Dublin over the weekend buying old stuff I couldn't find in Galway. Must admit I don't buy much "new" music anymore.
    On gigs, I really don't bother that much these days. I spent my teens, 20's & 30's attending literally hundreds of gigs, often travelling a long way in the times before cheap flights. Now, it takes something pretty big for me to make the effort to attend a gig.
    Probably just getting old, but I'm happier these days watching a good gig dvd in my comfy chair with a glass of something & a packet of skins handy.

Having said all that, there are loads of comeback tours doing the rounds, and this year I'll probably go see U2, Wishbone Ash & maybe one or two others. Don't think I could be arsed with AC/DC at a racecourse though.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

One of my brothers lives in Oz & Everton is his English team. He deserves to be sent so far away just for that!
    Anyway, was talking to him on the phone during the match where Falliani(sp?) got the booking that makes him miss the 2 Liverpool games. I was very surprised Moyes didn't take him off at half-time to protect him, the game seemed well won by then. Brother's thoughts are that without Felliani, Everton's difficult job just got a whole lot harder.

Pool have been more consistent this year (I think) & I'd fancy them quite strongly to win both matches.

Never can be sure about local derbies though ;)

ps Actually quite nice to be able to talk football again. I'm no fan of the jobsworths & the megalomaniacs on that section of boards!

Advertisement