Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you get a SUSI grand doing a postgraduate masters course?

Options
  • 14-07-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Okay, so I'm 22, just finished by BA a few months ago and am thinking of doing a masters in September.

I don't know much about Postgraduate studies and how finances work etc.. SO I'm wondering can you get a SUSI grant like the one during my undergraduate studies? Or can you get the fees paid for?

Me doing a masters would very much depend on getting a student loan from a bank or credit union so all financial aid would help.

If someone could help me, that would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

iiHyPeRize wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm 22, just finished by BA a few months ago and am thinking of doing a masters in September.

I don't know much about Postgraduate studies and how finances work etc.. SO I'm wondering can you get a SUSI grant like the one during my undergraduate studies? Or can you get the fees paid for?

Me doing a masters would very much depend on getting a student loan from a bank or credit union so all financial aid would help.

If someone could help me, that would be great. Thanks

You may only qualify for a student contribution of €2000 if your household reckonable income is less that €31500 or you may qualify for the special rate of €6270 if your household reckonable income is less than €22,703 and in receipt of a qualifying social welfare payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Plus you've left it extremely late. I'm not graduating til next year and I've already got my GRE scheduled and started to prepare statements of motivation for grad schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you are living outside the family home i.e. in a flat can you qualify for the grant on your own steam or do they still take parents income into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

If you're under 25 I think it's parents income irregardless. I stand to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you're under 25 I think it's parents income irregardless. I stand to be corrected though.

You must be 23 or over from the 1st January of the relevant year and living independently since the 31st October the previous year and have if you were dependent as an Undergraduate student, you must have a break of 3 years since your undergraduate course attending Postgraduate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement