Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HEAR scheme

• 29-06-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

I have recently received a letter from the HEAR scheme to say I qualify to receive it but I'm still unsure as to what it does.
    I know it may give you reduced points and extra finance but what exactly does it help with?
    What money does it give students?
    Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mallen

Hi, you will compete with fellow HEAR applicants for HEAR places on the courses you apply for, the number of places vary depending on the size of the course, usually around 5% of places. eg if a course has 100 places, 5 will be reserved for HEAR applicants. The top 5 HEAR applicants will get those places, in points order. 300 is the minimum points you need. Also Trinity college requires you to have at least 90% of the standard point cut off. There may not be a points reduction if the places are taken by HEAR applicants that have points above the standard cut off. It acts like a mini CAO race.
    The financial benefits depend entirely on the college. It can vary from a book token and a guaranteed (€200/300 approx) from the financial assistance fund (which has to be applied for) in NUIG every year, to a set amount in Maynooth (automatic €500 I think?), to min €1000 a year in Trinity college.
    The access office in the colleges can tell you in more detail and bear in mind the funds available are always subject to change. The access offices in the colleges can also help with extra tuition, grinds, and advice.
    Hope that helps.

Advertisement