Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brehon Law, Cromwel and the gay referendum.

• 09-03-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

So here we are in 2015 about to vote on whether same sex couples can marry, a proposition that wouldn't have been problem in the sixteenth century in Ireland. Although I am no expert my understanding is that under Brehon Law men and women had equal rights and gay marriage was not an issue.
    When the only English Pope gave permission to the Anglo-Norman Henry 2 conquest of Ireland, it was the start of the end for Brehon Law. Under Brehon Law, apparently a deeply humane and cultured society flourished, where the Irish stored knowledge while the rest of Europe was burning books.
    The wars of Cromwell, the policy pursued by King Charles II, at the Restoration, and the results of the Revolution of 1688, prevented any revival of the Irish laws: and before the end of the seventeenth century the whole race of Brehons and Ollamhs of the Irish laws appears to become extinct.
    So my question to you, is with the destruction of the Brehon Laws and their almost complete erasure from history, are we still suffering from the side effects? A beaten people with laws which make slaves of us to the English and American money masters?
    We beat the English establishment out of the South but did we lose the civil war and our chance to reignite our forgotten culture? Have we ever had a true Republic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm all for putting more blame on Cromwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pfft Bertie's where it's at :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I like cheese.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

They can take our lives,but they'll never take our cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Read that in the style of 'is there anything to be said for another mass?' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another gay thread, brilliant !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If there were a shower worse than the black n tans....its Cromwell ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I consider myself a well read student of history and I haven't a clue what the OP is trying to say. If it's that social conventions change over time, then spot on. The ancient Greeks, Macedonians etc considered homosexual relationships quite the norm.

But, I'm still confused - OP please elucidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

beerpong wrote: »
    Under Brehon Law, apparently a deeply humane and cultured society flourished

Read some non revisionist/agenda led history (basically most websites on it are terrible), no expert on Brehon law but it operated a system of restorative justice (so you paid the victim or the victims families) thing is the price you paid was related to the victims status.

Brehon law is often referenced as being much fairer to women, ignoring the fact that female body slaves were actually a unit of currency and were rape was a crime that could be paid out of easily if the women was of low status at a time under Norman and other law it was a capitol offense (not that there would be much chance of conviction but the recognition was there). Some few women achieved substantial power and there was fairer inheritance but they were a tiny minority even among the nobility (waits for somebody to mention Grace O'Malley :rolleyes: ) the vast majority of power and inheritance lay with the men.
    Ancient Ireland was just as nasty, brutal and hierarchal society as anywhere else (and possibly more in terms of constant intercine warfare and slaving) but probably because it was wiped out people who should know better often picture this egalitarian celtic wonderland.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

beerpong wrote: »
    So here we are in 2015 about to vote on whether same sex couples can marry, a proposition that wouldn't have been problem in the sixteenth century in Ireland. Although I am no expert my understanding is that under Brehon Law men and women had equal rights and gay marriage was not an issue.
    When the only English Pope gave permission to the Anglo-Norman Henry 2 conquest of Ireland, it was the start of the end for Brehon Law. Under Brehon Law, apparently a deeply humane and cultured society flourished, where the Irish stored knowledge while the rest of Europe was burning books.
    The wars of Cromwell, the policy pursued by King Charles II, at the Restoration, and the results of the Revolution of 1688, prevented any revival of the Irish laws: and before the end of the seventeenth century the whole race of Brehons and Ollamhs of the Irish laws appears to become extinct.
    So my question to you, is with the destruction of the Brehon Laws and their almost complete erasure from history, are we still suffering from the side effects? A beaten people with laws which make slaves of us to the English and American money masters?
    We beat the English establishment out of the South but did we lose the civil war and our chance to reignite our forgotten culture? Have we ever had a true Republic?

8 years and 21 posts........you're a steady dude aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I quite like Cromwell.:) *Awaits lynch mob

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

I consider myself a well read student of history and I haven't a clue what the OP is trying to say. If it's that social conventions change over time, then spot on. The ancient Greeks, Macedonians etc considered homosexual relationships quite the norm.

But, I'm still confused - OP please elucidate.

It was a bit of a ramble all right. Just wondering if Irish culture was totally obliterated over the centuries to the extent that it is non existent today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I quite like Cromwell.:) *Awaits lynch mob

Not nearly as moreish as cheese though. Doesn't toast as well either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

King Billy was gay, maybe we should all be Unionists?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

To hell or to Connaught!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭beerpong

Read some non revisionist/agenda led history (basically most websites on it are terrible), no expert on Brehon law but it operated a system of restorative justice (so you paid the victim or the victims families) thing is the price you paid was related to the victims status.

Depending on your status this still happens today.

A shared culture of the western allies is equal to a total disconnect with nature and each other. Can we learn from the past generations and not write off everything as savage? Hopefully one day humans will still be around to learn from the savagery and light in today's world and not write us all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not nearly as moreish as cheese though. Doesn't toast as well either.

Only way to find out is to dig him up and toast him, I suppose.

Will we use a toaster or just build a fire and stick him on a pike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Years ago while waiting for the train to Aqueduct racetrack in Long Island I got talking to a guy from Pueto Rica about the horses. I think he was impressed by me knowing that a Puerto Rican horse called Camarero holds the record for consecutive wins (56).
    Then he spoiled the mood by saying his hero was Oliver Cromwell. Wtf. I put him right on that. Two times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

mad muffin wrote: »
    To hell or to Connaught!

Way ahead of ya boy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I know I said this in the last gay thread but this has become the weirdest gay thread yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Some people think Americanisms made the Irish more litigious, but they should look at Brehon Law. We tend to venerate Brehon law without really considering how fcuked up it was. As RDM_83 already pointed out, it was a system based heavily on wealth and social status. There was no democratic equality. In fact, Brehon law makes the medieval, feudal English legal system look liberal and democratic.

Not only was Brehon law very coercive and arbitrary, it was extremely conservative. There was no free speech.

Free speech was an anathema to Brehon law. It was an offence to shame a person -- not like the defamation laws which protect people from malicious lies -- but the use of "clever words" or satire, or even a gesture.

Mocking a person's appearance was a crime. So was pointing out a blemish.

You can look at that another way. You can argue that it's an ancient source for an apparent Irish tendency to not speak badly of a person to their face, and to try and be cohesive as a society. More sweetly, for example, it was a serious offence to mock the disability of a leper or a disabled person.

But in general, we were much better off with the English-Norman legal system that arrived here with the Lordship of Ireland under Henry II, because it has proven to be the most liberal and economically successful framework for organising a society since the modern era.

Did we have lepers here? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Lapin wrote: »
    Yes. Leprosy was endemic in Ireland and Britain in the medieval era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

I had a gay dog once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    I had a gay dog once.

How did it smell?!

How did it smell?!

By using its nose I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

By using its nose I imagine.

Wrong Answer.
    Fabulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Leopardstown (Irish: Baile na Lobhar, meaning "Town of the Lepers")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Brehon Law, Cromwel and the gay referendum"

That's Thread is a serious contender for most bizarre title of the year - definitely. It would make for a great History Leaving cert Hons. Question. Brillant

Advertisement