Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to twitter, Limerick beat Longford 2 -0, both scored by Behan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya 2-0 limerick. 2 goals from Behan. Missed it myself but we just might be hitting a bit of form now. Hopefully we push on from here and Pat Purcell finally lift the league trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Great result. 2 from Behan inside the first 30 minutes.
    Had Bradley sent off on the hour.
    Hats off to the fans who made the journey up.
    Hopefully we can push on from here.
    No game for the next 3 weeks now cos of the Euro's.

:):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Great result away from home.....

Come on city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just back from the game,

It was a cracker of a game, we won 2-0 and really deserved our victory in the face of a shocking refereeing performance. The "honourable" Phil Caschera was a disgrace tonight...

Firstly he booked Stephan Bradley for "diving", after he'd been clearly fouled, then he gave him a second yellow for nothing, the Longford player dived after a challenge with a Limerick player which wasn't Stephan Bradley.

And to make matters worse Birmingham took a dive, we got the free for it, but where was his yellow...nowhere to be found.

He was going against his Linesmen, and giving corners that had no right to be corners, if I didn't know any better I'd reckon he was on the take.

But back to our fantastic performance,

Barry Ryan: Made some great saves, but had one scary moment when he nearly gifted Longford a goal.
    Corey Tracy: A little shakey at times, but overall played well and worked his shocks off
    Shane Tracy: Solid at the back, some lovely passing at times, never looked in trouble.
    Paddy "Superman" Purcell: Had a fantastic game, cleaned up at the back very well, loved his safety first approach tonight, just clear it away and no trying to play football with it.
    Shane Guthrie: Same as Paddy, but did get caught once or twice, but when he did, Tracy or Purcell cleaned up.
    Dave O'Leary: Man of the match display, he owed midfield and was all over the place breaking up play, tracking back, making tackles, giving good passes and spreading the play. Great in defence and going forward.
    Stephan Bradley: Great performance, until he was wrongly sent off. Very big part in the build up to one of our goals.
    James McGrath: Solid out wide, covered back brilliantly, especially when we were down to ten men.
    Sean Brosnan: By his standards he had a poor enough game, but he worked tirelessly and made some nice runs. But gave the away a little too much. Was later replaced by Stephan McGann
    Rory Gaffney: Played out of his skin, the Longford players were terrified of him, they didn't have the pace to deal with him. When he had the ball at his feet he ran at them and created opportunities for us. Deserved to get on the score sheet.
    Denis Behan: Scored twice, worked his shocks off...need I say more.

Stephan McGann Did well when he came, came on after we went down to ten. Helped our midfield be a little more solid. Had one really good long shot, just wide.

We played very well, after we went down to ten, we really pulled together. Defended as a team and covered every inch of the pitch, Longford couldn't break us down and we nearly caught them on the counter once with our ten men.

Massive result, great for goal difference as well. But the performance, the battling, the grit was fantastic to see, they seemed more like a team tonight in comparison to the Athlone game a few weeks back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Great win, any chance we can play all our games away from home.

Our Brian wrote: »
    Great win, any chance we can play all our games away from home.

I'll ask Pat next time I see him:p

The other teams would love it, we bring a big crowd with us these days, earlier in the season we had 2/3 of the crowd at Marvue and last night we had 1/4 at least. The crowd last night was around 350/400 and at the last Longford game it was 230 I'm lead to believe.

Apparently bad news with regards to the markets field...

Rumours are doing the rounds that some council members may well be unhappy with proposed plans for its redevelopment...

If we don't get the stadium sorted we won't get a premier license...

If its true, for shame on any councillor who blocks this move. It is very much needed in this city for us to have our local football club playing top flight domestic football...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoghanstapo

Anyone know if limerick will be playing in market field next season i was looking it up there but all i got was articles from about a year ago talking about it being donated to limerick fc by JP and about plans to redevlop it into an 8,000 seater but has construction started or anything? The place has been left empty for the last 2 years as far as i know :pac::o oh and is there any money for it?

Anyone know if limerick will be playing in market field next season i was looking it up there but all i got was articles from about a year ago talking about it being donated to limerick fc by JP and about plans to redevlop it into an 8,000 seater but has construction started or anything? The place has been left empty for the last 2 years as far as i know :pac::o oh and is there any money for it?

Here is an article from last week...

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick-fc-s-return-to-spiritual-home-grows-closer-1-3927018

• Advertisement

The long and the short of it is the usual clowns are sticking their noses in just to get their pusses in the paper. They want Limerick FC (a bloody football team) to build the people of Garryowen a community centre because its a disgrace that they don't have one.

First of all Limerick FC said initially when looking to get back to the Markets Field that they would open it to the local community to use as kind of a community centre. Secondly their is only one reason the people have not got a community centre and that is because the usual gangsters that run this town have failed to supply it. For them to have the cheek to basically tell a football club that they must build a community centre and let them in on the plans or they will make life difficult for them stinks of under handed gangster stuff. Reading between the lines it is looks like a case of, give us our few bob to keep quiet or we will make it hard for Limerick FC.

Limerick FC is a private company who are trying to move back into their spiritual home. They will be turning what is currently an eyesore in Limerick into a state of the art facility for multiple sporting codes in Limerick to use. As usual though our lovely politicians want to make it as difficult as possible.

Did the IRFU or the GAA have to build the people of Clareview and Mayorstone a community centre or pass any apology to those people, they certainly did not.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/1725-minister-for-sport-considers-markets-field-issue.html

Going by the above article Limerick FC had involved many different associations in the move back. I don't see why those people should be involved in the specific building plans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eoghanstapo

Thanks very much jesus thats a bit unfair to black mail limerick fc in building a comunity centre that hasnt really got anything to do with them? :/

Live football is back next Friday.

What better way to get over the disappointment of the Euro's than to get down to Jackman Park Friday night for some live football and to support your local club.

We are only one point behind Longford with them facing a tough trip to Donegal to face Finn Harps and we have a good footballing side in Wexofrd Youths coming to town. Its a great opportunity for us to go top pending on the other result.

Limerick FC vs Wexford Youths, Friday June 22nd 7:45pm, Jackman Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Hopefully they can reproduce those fine away performances at Jackman from now on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Monaghan are gone, so one team less to complete the premier division for the rest of the year. Interesting to see what that will mean for the promotion/relegation at the end of the season.

Have a feeling they will just put them down as the relegated team and leave it at that. Whoever finishes bottom now will most likely have a play off with the winner of 2nd vs 3rd in the first division.

Once again the FAI's Licensing system has failed.

It's just a pity the supposed "Greatest fans on earth" couldn't get out and support their local team and maybe this wouldn't be happening every season. If even half the "football" fans supporting Ireland in the euros got out and supported the League of Ireland then clubs would become more sustainable, the quality of player would rise, the standard of football would rise, facilities would get better and it would continue to have a knock on effect up to International football. Ireland is the only team in the whole tournament with no players plying their trade in their home country. Ireland is the only country also with such a poorly supported league. It's no coincidence we are the poorest team in it.

Sadly what happened Monaghan is just around the corner for most LOI teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭adaminho

I think there are a few things that can be done to boost attendances at Loi games. Firstly €10 a game is an awful lot of money in these times. I think €5-6 is a more realistic figure, 600 people at €6 is worth more to the club than 300 @ €10. Another thing is the timing of the games. We switched to summer league football so as to not clash with English football. Why then are the majority of our games on a Friday when people are just getting home from work. This is probably what killed Monaghan, how many are going to take a half day off work to travel and not get home till all hours! Could we not try 3 O'Clock kick offs on the first Sunday after the English season ends and see can we get the barstoolers who are used to going to watch a match on Sunday's.

adaminho wrote: »
    I think there are a few things that can be done to boost attendances at Loi games. Firstly €10 a game is an awful lot of money in these times. I think €5-6 is a more realistic figure, 600 people at €6 is worth more to the club than 300 @ €10. Another thing is the timing of the games. We switched to summer league football so as to not clash with English football. Why then are the majority of our games on a Friday when people are just getting home from work. This is probably what killed Monaghan, how many are going to take a half day off work to travel and not get home till all hours! Could we not try 3 O'Clock kick offs on the first Sunday after the English season ends and see can we get the barstoolers who are used to going to watch a match on Sunday's.

In fairness even in these times 10euro is nothing for over an hour and a halves entertainment. A lot of people will spend 10euro in an hour or less down the pub and a lot more watching a game on telly in the pub. A lot of people will spend between 150-300euro to go over to one game in England or Scotland and for half that would get a whole seasons football here. Not to mention the money people spend on Merchandise etc….We get on average 500 people in the gate at 10 euro a head so I don't think that is the problem. Cinema, Bowling etc… are all around the same price and attending AIL Rugby matches is in line with it price wise.

Only recently a lad was telling me he was talking to a guy in watching the Ireland vs Spain game. The guy was slagging him cause he supported Limerick. The same fella turned around later in the night and said he doesn't support Sunderland but would fly over to watch one of their games to see McClean play. For only 10 euro 2 seasons ago the same lad could have just popped into Jackman Park and see James McClean playing for Derry City. The future stars of Ireland are playing in our league and for more to come through it needs to be supported.

I agree the times of kick offs aren't great but it isn't much hassle for most to get to Jackman park for 7:45. Munster have had games on a Friday night at 8pm and still got 14,000+. If games were on a Sunday they would clash with GAA. Personally I'd prefer matches to be played on a Saturday.

To be honest I have heard every excuse not to attend Limerick FC matches. First was they always lose….then they were winning a lot and it was the cost….then it was the weather….then it was the kick off time….then it was not enough local lads….then it was the local lads in the team are useless and not up to that standard so won't watch them. No matter what is done there is always an excuse one way or another.

At the end of the day we are a country of bandwagoners in every code be that Rugby, GAA or Football.

By the way I'm not having a dig at you adaminho, i'm just pointing out to various situations I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

tbh the quality of football played in Jackman park by Limerick fc is terrible, Im supporting Limerick all my life, and this year I have used the excuse they play terrible and stopped going to the home game, i was at the longford game 3 weeks ago and if Limerick play like that at home they will get 1000 people at every home games, Ive also said on other sites that I dont mind Limerick losing but bloody entertain me and that is some they were not doing at home. entertaining people.

Beaver1 wrote: »
    tbh the quality of football played in Jackman park by Limerick fc is terrible, Im supporting Limerick all my life, and this year I have used the excuse they play terrible and stopped going to the home game, i was at the longford game 3 weeks ago and if Limerick play like that at home they will get 1000 people at every home games, Ive also said on other sites that I dont mind Limerick losing but bloody entertain me and that is some they were not doing at home. entertaining people.

Couldn't agree with you more. On the road we have been far more impressive. Hopefully with the pitch improving having not being played on in a long time and the confidence boost from the win in Longford will mean we are a bit more attack minded and keep it on the deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Walk the pitch at Jackman and you will see why the football at home has been poor to watch, bumps and bobbles all over the place. Longford/Harps/Wexford etc away proves we can play a bit but anyone who just goes to the home games wont believe that. :)

As for Monaghan........FAI will prob decide that there will be no promotion from the 1st Div this year as a result. :pac: Would that shock anyone? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

€10 is actually good value in my opinion plus they give concessions to students and OAP's. It's not the price of attending games that is keeping people away at all. Also, I think you have severely over estimated the effect dropping ticket prices would have, it certainly wouldn't double the attendances and if anything the end result could be disastrous.

I get where you're coming from regarding switching games to Sundays but I don't believe that would be a good idea without reverting to the old August to April season as Saturday and Sunday in the summer means competing with the GAA.

I don't think what I said is the cure to what is wrong with the Loi, I just think it should be tried. Has any team tried having matches on a Sunday afternoon?
    Limerick Gaa have matches maybe 5/6 times a year and a lot of those are on a Saturday.

The other thing I have a problem with is the facilities. I know it's not Limerick F.C 's fault but it's not called the jacks for nothing! I look forward to the markets field but at the end of the day I'm not going to pay €10 into to a ground that doesn't even have basic facilities!

I'm sorry but €10 is a lot of money in these times. It's easy to say that "it's only two pints" or "you'ld spend more watching an English team!" but I for one can't afford it. Just try a few games @ €5 and promote it, see how it goes? If you get 20 people who don't normally go your up!

Limerick has probably one of the best footballing following in the country ( junior teams at least) and I hope we can translate that to Loi games.

Ya the facilities are shocking alright. If the club were to charge 5 euro a head for let's say 3 games in a row and only get maybe 150 more in the gate it would cost the club a lot financially. Especially with only 14 home games all season. The chances are if they went back to 10euro most people that came a long for the fiver entry wouldn't bother again.

I do think there should be more promotions though like maybe reduced rate for unemployed(not sure how they would do that though) or reductions for groups i.e if 4 lads go together they get in at a reduce price or groups of 10+ for teams etc....

Not even three matches matches in a row, just put the first match after the Epl finishes on a Sunday at €5 and see! These things need to be tried, if it doesnt work then fine.
    We also need to get away from the attitude of senior vs junior football. Perhaps a concession of €2 off if you show your junior membership card? Again I'm only suggesting these things but they should be tried at least!

To those who think €10 is too much, it would have cost you €30 to watch Munster Reserves get hammered by Leinster at the tail end of last season.

Also if €10 is too much, go in as a student its €7, cheaper than 2 pints and half the price of what it would cost to get into a club in the city...

To those who think €10 is too much, it would have cost you €30 to watch Munster Reserves get hammered by Leinster at the tail end of last season.

Also if €10 is too much, go in as a student its €7, cheaper than 2 pints and half the price of what it would cost to get into a club in the city...

Not everyone is a student!

While its €25-30 for a magners/rabo/whatever match it isn't always full. Plus you have a choice of bars/food to pick from.

Look, it's like this, Someone on €188 a week isn't going to pay €10 every 2nd week to go see a game. I know a season ticket works out better but could you fork out €110 in one lump?

I just think that €5-6 is a more realistic price in these times. I know guys that struggle to pay €4-5 a week to play football themselves let alone go watch someone else.

Again, I want nothing but the best for Limerick, and I'm not saying I'm right, just try these things.

Not everyone is a student!

While its €25-30 for a magners/rabo/whatever match it isn't always full. Plus you have a choice of bars/food to pick from.

Look, it's like this, Someone on €188 a week isn't going to pay €10 every 2nd week to go see a game. I know a season ticket works out better but could you fork out €110 in one lump?

I just think that €5-6 is a more realistic price in these times. I know guys that struggle to pay €4-5 a week to play football themselves let alone go watch someone else.

Again, I want nothing but the best for Limerick, and I'm not saying I'm right, just try these things.

I'm on €144 a week and I'm at every game home and away...I've missed 1 Munster Senor Cup Game(Away to Fermoy), and 1 FAI Cup game(Home to Cork) this season...

Also I've never seen anyone getting asked for Student ID up there

I'm on €144 a week and I'm at every game home and away...I've missed 1 Munster Senor Cup Game(Away to Fermoy), and 1 FAI Cup game(Home to Cork) this season...

Also I've never seen anyone getting asked for Student ID up there

And would it not be easier for you if you paid less? I know they are trying to run a business but a few promotions here and there would go along way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

€5-6 is not a realistic price; there wouldn't be a sufficient increase in numbers drawn in and it would probably put the club out of business. €10 is fair, it's €8 to attend a senior club hurling/football championship game in this county, and €6 for the intermediate championship; and none of that money goes to players/staff. And unless I'm mistaken the pricing to attend AIL rugby games is pretty much identical to that of Limerick FC games.

Dropping prices won't bring extra numbers- I regularly attend club GAA games in Limerick and modest drops in admission fees has not resulted in larger crowds, if anything numbers are still dropping; at best crowd numbers have remained static from what I can see.

And sure even during the boom, when there was plenty of money going around, the attendances for Limerick FC games were still awful (possibly even worse??). Plenty of disposable income floating around yet it had no effect whatsoever on attendances, so I think it really is over simplifying it to point to admission prices being the problem.

Also, if general admission is €5-6, how low will they have to end up going for students/OAP/under 16's??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement