Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

need computer help

Options
  • 18-01-2016 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Re: Having problems with my computer can you help?

Hi all I have been on before regarding this computer (I'm on right now) and many of you very very helpful. So firstly want to say thank you very much.

My last issue was the sound failed and you guys recommended i buy a USB sound card as it was the cheapest option open to me. But now the issue is as follows:

If I have my video player open playing a movie and I also surf online the video skips. A lot in the past week it's almost impossible to multitask anymore. It wasn't a problem when I got it and this "latest" issue is getting annoying.

I've tried clearing the cache and closing unneeded programs but still the same.

It's a Windows 7 Home Premium HP Model: p6300uk Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor 2.70 GHz Installed 3:00 GB (2.75 GB usable) 64-bit Operating System

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How large is the file size of the video you are watching? Are you playing it from the hard drive? How much free space on your hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

How large is the file size of the video you are watching? Are you playing it from the hard drive? How much free space on your hard drive?

Hi Atlantic Dawn

The file is 315 mbs
    Its on the main computer
    I have 191 gbs free of 453 gbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

try using firefox or the latest chrome browser ,
    maybe you have too many programs running,
    press control alt del,
    see task manager .
    running programs ,try lowering resolution to 1024x768 .

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

try safe mode, vga mode ,see does it make a difference .

use VLC video lan player .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Turn off hardware acceleration in the browser. Perhaps your graphics card isn't powerful enough to both handle the video
    decoding and web page rending at the same time.

The other issue is both using the browser and playing a video both use the HD. Perhaps its not up to it. Try running the video off a different disk to the one your OS is on.

i think it would be more effecient to run a 32bit os since you have 3gig ram.
    reboot pc,press f8, wait for safe mode menu,
    arrows,up,down, enter choose vga mode.
    still you should be able to play at least sd or 720p hd videos perfectly .

• Advertisement

you could try booting off a linux live cd, to see if it plays videos,
    eg mint linux,it has firefox pre installed.

and vlc media video player is preinstalled .
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38
    fits on 1 cdr disc,

Advertisement