Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 [MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL 5 BOOKS/US EPISODES - SEE POST 1]

Options
  • 30-03-2012 11:23am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread to discuss the second season of "Game of Thrones". It's for those of us who have read the books and it will have no spoiler space for any of the books or the show. .

Let me be clear:

* Any of the books: We assume you've read them. We have. We'll discuss the entire series in the context of the TV show. It's too hard to remember what happened in any particular book. This includes "A Dance with Dragons" and, for what it's worth, the Duncan & Egg novellas that can be found in different collections.

* US airings: Once it's aired on the US, it's fine to talk about it here. So Monday mornings onwards discuss away.

Remember there will be no spoiler space required for any of the above. The only spoiler space would be if you've somehow heard spoilers for Book 6.

It's a thread for those of us who already know what's happened, who want to discuss the show's interpretation of events and don't want to be constantly highlighting spoiler space.

You are warned. There's a Game of Thrones forum for those who wish to indulge in the use of spoiler tags.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Might be worth changing the title "...MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS / US ...."

Make it totally idiot proof at a glance...you can be damn sure people aren't going to read post 1 after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So far so good.

I like the guy playing Davos but not too sure about Stannis. Melisandre is exactly how I wanted her.
    I'm expecting Nicholas Hoult to show up at this rate if there are any more ex-Skins cast members

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoyed it and got some good casting. Davos is particularly spot on - pretty much how I pictured him before and definitely will from now on.

Shame we got no Arya this week although of course we've a lot more in store there to come from next week onwards.

One thing: Is it crazy that I almost cheer when Joffrey is on screen? The little rascal is so good at being a total sh1t. Joffrey: Please be careful what you drink!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ixoy wrote: »
    .....Is it crazy that I almost cheer when Joffrey is on screen? The little rascal is so good at being a total sh1t. Joffrey: Please be careful what you drink!!
    I do imagine that it must be a bit odd to be walking through Trinity and spot 'Joffrey' walking through your line of sight, how many people have had to bite their lip I wonder?

I like how in episode one they have him being slapped! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, liked that a lot. Lots going on!
    Glad I made the missis watch a 6 minute recap before starting...

Stannis looked a bit weak, tbh. I know he's Melisendre's bitch, but he's supposed to be hard as nails too.

But most importantly, the Direwolves are finally wolves!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

I pictured Melisandre as younger. Not convinced on the casting.
    Great episode.
    Craster's Keep was uncannily similar to how I'd pictured it.
    Davos was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Episode 2 is out and about after HBO Holland showed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Craster's Keep was just like it is in my head, though I did expect Craster himself to look meaner and more haggard.

Everyone else is spot on. I can't wait for more Davos!

Dades wrote: »
    Stannis looked a bit weak, tbh. I know he's Melisendre's bitch, but he's supposed to be hard as nails too.
    I know what you mean, but it's early days yet. I want to see Stannis to be utterly ice cold. No laughter from a man who, while never a total bastard (as the likes of Clegane or the Boltons), is never really shown to have human empathy either. I want to see that coldness.

• Advertisement

Another thing, I always pictured Ser Dontos as an old man, passed his best. The guy they have gotten seems too young to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Had Melisandre pictured as hotter, Craster pictured more like a stronger/healthier version of Walder Frey from Season 1, Davos they nailed and Stannis always looks like Henry VIII in my head (though getting slimmer as the books progress).

Can live with all of them so far. The wolves though? They're brilliant! Love seeing Grey Wind at his adolescent size being more the size of a lion than a regular wolf ;)

Yeah, I always pictured him as "past his prime" rather than just a fat oaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Overall I loved it. Thought the new casting was great. I liked Stannis. He was pretty much as I imagined: A humourless pr1ck. As for Ser Dontos, yeah, like most, I imagines him to be just past his prime and a drunk because of this as opposed to being a drunk in general.

As usual, Tyrion stole every scene. Thought his last line to Cercie was hilarious: Must be hard for you. What? Being the disappointment in the family. Hahahah.

Really liked Liam Cunningham as Davos. Perfect casting. He would be a better Stannis but I'm glad he's Davos as he's a much more interesting character.

That scene with Littlefinger and Cersei that wasn't in the books annoyed me.

Does it not seem totally out of character for Littlefinger to be so open about what he knows and to go making enemies like that? He's all about playing *everyone* and pulling strings behind the scenes. He'd never get himself in a situation like that by making veiled threats in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That scene with Littlefinger and Cersei that wasn't in the books annoyed me.

Does it not seem totally out of character for Littlefinger to be so open about what he knows and to go making enemies like that? He's all about playing *everyone* and pulling strings behind the scenes. He'd never get himself in a situation like that by making veiled threats in public.

Yup, pissed me off aswell. Episode 2 felt like a kick in the balls at stuff they left out/added in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Good start to S2 but there was a lot going on.

We had plotlines about
    Robb and the North
    John and the nights watch
    Arya on the run
    Cersei/tyrion in kings landing
    Davos and stannis
    Dany and the dragons

am i forgetting any?

giftgrub wrote: »
    am i forgetting any?
    Bran & co on their own in Winterfell.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

ive seen episode 2 last night its already online, goign to eb a very interesting build up i like the way its tieing in all lose end plus bringing new characters as it goes along.

And the iron islands found that funny he felt up his sister on the horse on the way to the castle she walks in his face drops haha, looks like his dad might side with the lannisters and not te starks over what ned stark did to them in the past.
    Are you trying a add spoilers to a thread where everyone already knows all the story?

Or did you watch some bootleg of episode 2?

• Advertisement

Are you trying a add spoilers to a thread where everyone already knows all the story?

Or did you watch some bootleg of episode 2?

sorry i watched episode 2 last night online its alread out, forgot some people might not have seen this ill edit my post.

Yer kinda missing the point: this thread is for people who've read all 5 books and know everything that's coming ;)

ah ok so has anyone seen the 2nd episode yet lol?

Yep, threads on it for book readers and non-readers in the Game of Thrones forum over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1537

It's for those who know what will happen. So when I say: "Can't wait for the wedding! They'll paint the place red!" everyone here will know exactly what I mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

^^^^^^

And I just can't wait for the reactions the day after. Hopefully it won't be leaked too much. It'll be hilarious if it isn't

And I just can't wait for the reactions the day after. Hopefully it won't be leaked too much. It'll be hilarious if it isn't
    I'm looking most forward to the introduction of some of the most important characters later on the series. I speak primarily of course of Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers, and Boots and their exciting adventures...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Loved the Grey Wind scene. I'm going to tear up if they show his ultimate fate. Robb I could take or leave though :)

A few changes to the story in episode 2. Don't know how I feel about them.

Bronn becomes commander of the Goldcloaks? Now we don't get to see Bywater or how he's betrayed.

No Shireen? Melisandre mentions that Stannis' wife only gave him stillborns and death.

Davos' son being way too old to be Stannis' squire, so I'm guessing that storyline is gone as well.

And then finally Jon witnessing Craster sacrifice a son, how will this pan out with how the scene ended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

No Shireen? Melisandre mentions that Stannis' wife only gave him stillborns and death.

She was on the beach standing by his side and when he left the beach he held his hand out to her.

Advertisement