Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Yea, fair play to boards.ie for giving this maximum exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Signed x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I find the Act hard to follow but I think I understand it. SIGNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

http://www.stephendonnelly.ie/from-the-chamber/questions-the-sopa-legislation/
    Wednesday January 25, 2012

Stephen Donnelly

There is much concern about legislation proposed by the Minister of State at the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Deputy Sean Sherlock, for Tuesday next. I have been contacted, as I am sure many Deputies have, by many people who are concerned about this. I have just got off the phone from someone who runs a major Internet company in Ireland. His concern, and that of his colleagues who are running other Internet companies, is that they will immediately have to shut down all operations because this legislation would force them into the courts because they cannot control all links to IP. There is huge concern about this. The people I talk to say they cannot get their hands on the legislation to see it and debate it. It is due to be passed as secondary legislation by ministerial order on Tuesday. Would it be possible to pause the ministerial order, even for a few days, and to have the legislation published and debated by the House? I have spoken to some very credible people in Ireland who are saying this has serious implications for Internet provision in Ireland, for American multinationals here and for the smart economy and so forth.

The Taoiseach

I have read the report of this. The Minister of State, Deputy Sherlock, is dealing with the matter. In the High Court judgment of 11 October 2010, in the case of EMI & Others v UPC, Mr. Justice Charleton decided he was constrained by the wording of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 and thus could not grant an injunction to prevent infringement of copyright against UPC, which is an information service provider, ISP, in the circumstances of mere conduit, or transient communications. In doing so Mr. Justice Charleton stated that Ireland had not fully transposed the relevant directive. The mere conduit principle provides that if an ISP does not initiate a transmission or modify the material contained in the transmission and does not select the receiver of the transmission it is granted safe harbour against liability by virtue of the eCommerce Directive 2000/31/EC. However, according to the same directive this freedom from liability does not affect the power of the courts to require service providers to terminate or prevent copyright infringements.

This gets very complicated. I understand the matter is being brought before the Cabinet, so there will be some short period for explanation. I could give the Deputy a very detailed response.

The Attorney General, at that time, was asked by the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources for his advice as to the implications of the High Court judgment. While the Attorney General considered that the position is not as clear cut as Mr. Justice Charleton suggests, his advice was that as long as the Irish courts take the view that subsection 40(4) of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 does not implement Article 8.3 of the relevant directive, Ireland is exposed to a claim for damages for failure to implement EU law. The prudent course he advised was to introduce a regulation to ensure compliance.

It is a complicated procedure but I expect the Minister of State will explain it more fully. I am aware of the comments some providers have made.

Stephen Donnelly

Could the legislation be paused, even for a few days before it is published?

The Taoiseach

It will be before the Cabinet shortly and there will be an opportunity to discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Just signed 47307, come on we need at lot more signatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What if the StopSopaIreland.ie website is just a way to track all out IP addresses and then come find us :eek:

/off to the conspiracy theory forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

will deffo sign this. this could have very serious implications for net users in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My email sent (name changed to ShooterSF for boards)
    Dear sir,

[CENSORED]

Yours'
    ShooterSF.

(I thought it best I get used to your vision of the internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Hey,

Can you have a look at displaying different popups for each theme?

I don't most people had the Red/Black theme but I gotten used it to, back to the point. I'm getting the below when accessing anypage

VoGV6.png

anxbk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

lynchie wrote: »
    Using cloud skin, the text doesn't display on that popup.

Nobody thinks of us cloud skin users anymore :rolleyes:

Yeah sorry about that, should be fixed now. This was very time sensitive so we didn't have a chance to test on all skins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

signed teh petition yesterday

also recieved this today via email not sure how true it is

uHcVs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Signed :)

I bet He say's say the Troika made him do it :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ryanno

SIGNED!! Lets hope it's listened to!! Nothing else ever is..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Considering that he (Sean Sherlock) has taken taken down his own web server I guess he's trying to experience it from an end users perspective of the new Internet under Irish rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Signed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Getting ready to type up a post of frustration on the issue, but i just copped this:
    Posted by spacedog
    his advice was that as long as the Irish courts take the view that subsection 40(4) of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000

And now im here giggling like a child. But needless to say ive signed the petition and currently whoring out all my social media profiles with link to the petition.

Good work, Boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Hey,

Can you have a look at displaying different popups for each theme?

I don't most people had the Red/Black theme but I gotten used it to, back to the point. I'm getting the below when accessing anypage

Gah, forgot to bump the CSS version number so it was hanging around in caches. Done, all the white text themes should be sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah sorry about that, should be fixed now. This was very time sensitive so we didn't have a chance to test on all skins.

Newbs :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Signed, I wonder do the gubment even know the potential sh1t storm that will be unleashed from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

lynchie wrote: »
    Using cloud skin, the text doesn't display on that popup.

Nobody thinks of us cloud skin users anymore :rolleyes:
    no probs with seeing the pop up with the cloud skin here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,751 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

The Taoiseach

It will be before the Cabinet shortly and there will be an opportunity to discuss that.

<sarcasm>
    That's all right, then. I trust them fully to do the right thing.
    </sarcasm>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

I wouldn't be too worried about this.

I reckon most politicians haven't a clue about this stuff, or its implications.

Once Google/Facebook/The IDA come and explain the potential consequences to them, they'll soon change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

signed. it's a ridiculous law anyway. there are patches out for Chrome and Firefox that will circumnavigate the dns redirect anyway. it literally will take 5 min for anyone to get around it, so the only people who suffer are legit businesses.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

According to Mr Sherlock, he's going to sign the instrument regardless.

And then the dail will have a debate on it!

By the way, my mobile phone number was put into the hand of Mr Sherlock last night by Stephen Donnelly with a promise he and I would discuss this today. So far no contact.

I'm not an enemy here, I want to find a way that works and isnt DUMB.

This is neither.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

According to Mr Sherlock, he's going to sign the instrument regardless.

And then the dail will have a debate on it!

By the way, my mobile phone number was put into the hand of Mr Sherlock last night by Stephen Donnelly with a promise he and I would discuss this today. So far no contact.

I'm not an enemy here, I want to find a way that works and isnt DUMB.

This is neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wheelbarrow12

dear god almighty (and me agnostic).

what a bunch of morons on the loose in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MJMURPHY

SIGNED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wheelbarrow12

please explain how this amount of power got put in the hands of one edjit...

aren't there supposed to be checks and balances?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I knew it. Jim Corr was right all along.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    I left mr.sherlock a message on his site. I love that when i hit submit it showed me the message i'd sent,my email(that i entered) and my ip address.

Yeah, saw that too when I left a message for him. 'BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU! Lol.

Also, signed the petition.

Advertisement