Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Le Brocquy was self-taught. When you look at his paintings of heads they look like x-rays. Very weird and way off my scale of understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Loved LeBroquy. I have a paperback copy of The Tain which he'd illustrated. Bought it for the illustrations. Bought it secondhand. (That's as far as I could go with spending on art!) The original paintings which were used for the illustrations were huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Buying art is cheap and easy after the inital outlay. Unless you make some really bad choicesyou can generally sell on art at near the same price you bought it. So, buy something got a couple of hundred, hang it for a year or two then sell it again giving you a couple of hundred to buy something new. And if you ever need a couple of hundred it's there, hanging on your wall.

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Donna Summer died today. She was 63.

Obituary from the BBC.

Sorry to hear about Donna Summer. But how the heck did I miss this one, Bert Weedon, 20th April 2012 aged 92. It's because of Bert Weedon that I sleep in a room full of music and musical instruments, oh, and himself (hubby, not Bert Weedon!) of course. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Goodbye Robin and thanks for all the great music. Pity John Murray chose to play 'I started a joke' this morning after he announced Robin's death, when I heard the words I felt a different song might have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Sad news as Eric Sykes has passed away aged 89
    RIP a very funny man
    The plank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RoudtrVv8

Love Sykes. His work is very underrated. Coincidently enough I've been working on a burlesque act inspired by The Plank.
    I won't feel right doing it now.

Sergio Pininfarina.
    A picture paint a thousand words and this picture speaks elegantly of this mans work.
    1962-ferrari-250-gt-california-swb_1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just posted this on the TV forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056691208

Pininfarina was the greatest car designer ever. Full Stop. Though like Bertone did produce
    some real clunkers, but that's fashion for you!

OldGoat wrote: »
    Love Sykes. His work is very underrated. Coincidently enough I've been working on a burlesque act inspired by The Plank.
    I won't feel right doing it now.

I suggest you offer it in memory of Eric. Will have to drag The Plank out again and have a look - real chucklevision.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Sergio Pininfarina.
    A picture paint a thousand words and this picture speaks elegantly of this mans work.
    1962-ferrari-250-gt-california-swb_1024.jpg

Just...WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

BBDBB wrote: »
    Sad news as Eric Sykes has passed away aged 89
    RIP a very funny man
    The plank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RoudtrVv8

Vary sad news.
    Very funny man and a good comic writer.
    I think he wrote some of the Goon shows with Spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Aw Marty, go dance with the tomatoes! Brilliant! They don't write like that any more. :D

Richard Zanuck, film producer aged 77, and also actress Celeste Holm aged 95.

Jon Lord, keyboard player with Deep Purple, died aged 71.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I just read those seven habits. I expected to be blown away by them. I wasn't.

Coronation Street and Keeping up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent said.

The star, famed for his role as Coronation Street binman Eddie Yates, died last night "peacefully in his sleep" after a "long courageous battle" with prostate cancer, according to his family.

Hughes also played Twiggy in TV comedy The Royle Family and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/celebritynews/geoffrey-hughes-corries-eddie-yates-loses-cancer-fight-7984835.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Chucken wrote: »
    Coronation Street and Keeping up Appearances actor Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, his agent said.

The star, famed for his role as Coronation Street binman Eddie Yates, died last night "peacefully in his sleep" after a "long courageous battle" with prostate cancer, according to his family.

Hughes also played Twiggy in TV comedy The Royle Family and Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/celebritynews/geoffrey-hughes-corries-eddie-yates-loses-cancer-fight-7984835.html

The classic brummie accent. RIP Geoffrey. Geoffrey? Surely he was really an Eddie deep down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Brummie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Rubecula wrote: »
    Brummie?
    liverpool born with a lanky accent

Indeed the poor man was born on the Wirral and raised in Liverpool. (I think Norris Green area where I used to live myself) May he rest in peace for all the joy he brought to the screen.

I remember Eddie Yates being the sidekick of Stan Ogden, and the dancing while stripping the wallpaper with the Royale Family. He always gave me a smile when I saw him on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Indeed the poor man was born on the Wirral and raised in Liverpool. (I think Norris Green area where I used to live myself) May he rest in peace for all the joy he brought to the screen.

I remember Eddie Yates being the sidekick of Stan Ogden, and the dancing while stripping the wallpaper with the Royale Family. He always gave me a smile when I saw him on the box.
    i am sure my first memory of him was on a tv soap called ;the dustbin men;i could be wrong but it was in the 50/60s

I remember the Dustbinmen, but I don't think Geoffrey Hughes was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Tut tut Rubecula. He was born in either New Brighton, Rock Ferry or Wallasey. I once saw him in Davy Jones's Locker when he was doing a bit of Rep. That was 1969 as far as I remember. He also appeared in Heartbeat as a lovable rogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Hughes

Huighes' off-stage interests were sailing, golf, cricket, rock music, trees and beer. Born "over the water" on the Wirral*, he was brought up in Liverpool.

*Wirral Peninsula, a peninsula in the northwest of England, between the rivers Dee and Mersey

Maeve Binchy just died :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Chucken wrote: »
    Maeve Binchy just died :(

As well as being a gifted writer she was a truely wonderfully kind person. Who by the way had two cats named Fred & Audrey!

Advertisement