Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zamano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

superscouse Infracted for the above post. I had already asked the poster to refrain from posting in textspeak. Your response was unwarranted.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MullingarMan

It is some time since I have logged in to see further response to this.
    In the meantime I have met numerous people who have had there mobile phone funds "Grazed" by Zamano.

There is a former Irish Rugby player in a senior (ownership) position at Zamano and would be well aware of the behaviour of this company.

"B" - there is enough in this for an international documentary.

http://www.zamano.com/Company/ManagementTeam.aspx
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/10/15/story18088.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pdully

hi all, anyone know anything about this site - www.mobileguardian.tv

i rang zemano to get unsubscribed after being subscribed without my knowledge! the lady on the phone told be i could block all PMS by going to that site above. i'm just checking to see if its legit!

anyone have any experience with it?

any help appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 z0wkey

hello all,

I have been a recent victim of Zamano. Given that I don't ever use WAP and don't download ringtones etc etc it's a clear case that they signed me up without my permission. So to the folks out there (potentially with links to the company in question?) who deny this is possible I have first hand experience that it is possible and is happening right now. Someone referred to it as grazing. Sounds about right.

Anyway I'm proposing an organised campaign to put pressure on the Government and it's agencies, the mobile operators and the companies in questions most notably Zamano. I write this fully aware that Zamano and their many millions can be employed to make life difficult for me and that they are probably monitoring this and other sites in order to gauge public opinion.

I have already written to Primetime as a follow on to their February story and we'll see if they have any interest in picking that up again. That's just the start. I further propose a print campaign with art containing images of affected people and text along the lines of "Stop Zamano stealing from the poor, the sick and the needy". This art would be included in letters to all TDs and news services. As well as to the board and directors of Zamano. Any investor point of contact should be hit with the art.

Coincidently an old friend rang this morning. He's living with a (junior) film director who has documentary experience. I feel a Michael Moore moment coming on.

Not to mention getting a Web site up and running. Something calm, cool and clear which exposes their unethical, immoral and potentially illegal practices.

I am just thinking aloud in this post.

This could be an interesting journey. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 granadaghia

From personal experience , be careful on boards .ie , the mods seem to be on the side of the <SNIP> , maybe they see the world thru rose tinted specs and just dont believe that these <SNIP> would do any wrong ,
    Im probably gona get banned for this now , but why should we let and assist these people get away with robbing people ,

EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT USE WORDS LIKE SCUM OR SCAM ON THE FORUMS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pdully wrote: »
    hi all, anyone know anything about this site - www.mobileguardian.tv

i rang zemano to get unsubscribed after being subscribed without my knowledge! the lady on the phone told be i could block all PMS by going to that site above. i'm just checking to see if its legit!

anyone have any experience with it?

any help appreciated. thanks

The idea that you have to give your UNLISTED number to a third party so they don't spam you is insane, its unlisted for this very reason.

Not awhole lot of info available on their WHOIS,
    Domain Name: MOBILEGUARDIAN.TV
    Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH
    Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net
    Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net
    Name Server: NS1.BLINCK.NET
    Name Server: NS2.BLINCK.NET
    Updated Date: 27-nov-2009
    Creation Date: 07-jun-2007
    Expiration Date: 07-jun-2010

The service is run by Blinck United Ltd I can't find much about them on the web off band though they do operate http://www.blinck.net/

Off hand it looks like alot of companys may use Blinck in order to send these txts so giving them your number seems insane as at some stage they've given your number to people already so your asking them to remove a number you never gave them permission to use....makes no sense

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From personal experience , be careful on boards .ie , the mods seem to be on the side of the <SNIP> , maybe they see the world thru rose tinted specs and just dont believe that these <SNIP> would do any wrong ,

wow just wow, you sure your tinfoil hat is on hard enough I think there's some mindcontrol rays getting through to you.
    :rolleyes:
    Im probably gona get banned for this now ,

Making crazy statements without any basis in fact or reality?
    but why should we let and assist these people get away with robbing people ,

Nobody says anybody should get away with such things, if they are indeed "robbing"

As you can clearly see the mod does not like anyone talking about those lovely people who make their living from other peoples misfortune. maybe that was the way things were done and accepted by some of the narrow minded money grabbing celtic tiger cubs . but times are a changin and attitutes to these people also.
    hopefully we can look at the way things are done without the PC filters being on in the future . why is it ok for companies outside the state to rob us , ?this was and is our country why should we

As you can clearly see the mod does not like anyone talking about those lovely people who make their living from other peoples misfortune.

You clearly do not understand how this site works,
    I am only a mod on the forums I mod, on every other forum I am a normal user the same as you as such I am very much entitled to my views....your welcome to verify this with an admin or Cmod

Your very clearly paranoid so I;m not even going to waste my time trying to have a logical argument with you as you've already thrown logic and facts out of the reason by thinking "the mods are out to get you" :rolleyes:

Finally I'd rather you don't PM me with your nonsense rants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cabaal wrote: »
    you've already thrown logic and facts out of the reason by thinking "the mods are out to get you" :rolleyes:

And him only around a wet week and all. Most mods who are out to get me have been lurking in the bushes for years ready to pounce if I show any weakness at all. Bastids :D

• Advertisement

granadaghia
    I'm currently on holidays, so some of your recent posts went unnoticed until now. You might want to consider adjusting the tone of your posts and do not make accusations against companies/businesses/individuals without supporting proof.

Additionally, adding structure and punctuation to your posts will help you in making your point more clearly.

dudara

if you care to check i made no reference to any named company , organisation or individual in these posts , other people have mentioned ZAMANO , but i did not . I only speak from a recent personal experience but it did involve a foreign mobile network with offices here , an english txt delivery platform company , and a company in Canada who were behind the operation to steal money from Irish mobile phone users .
    I do have plenty of proof to back this up ,
    WHEN IGNORANCE IS BLISS ITS FOLLY TO BE WISE

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pdully

Cabaal wrote: »
    The idea that you have to give your UNLISTED number to a third party so they don't spam you is insane, its unlisted for this very reason.

Not awhole lot of info available on their WHOIS,

The service is run by Blinck United Ltd I can't find much about them on the web off band though they do operate http://www.blinck.net/

Off hand it looks like alot of companys may use Blinck in order to send these txts so giving them your number seems insane as at some stage they've given your number to people already so your asking them to remove a number you never gave them permission to use....makes no sense

Thanks for that, i was a bit wary of them giving me "a way out"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hows it goin folks,

Not goin into all the gory details about this but had the same thing with zamano.

I contacted vodafone who told me it was zamano and to contact regtel.

I contacted regtel who took all the details (i was very nice to them even as my temper was fuming :mad::mad:). I contacted zamacom and gave the fella a right earful i told him i was taking them to court and so on.

They sent me a message saying that all the texts had stop so i told them i wanted my money refunded, He told me i would have to wait for them to contact their accounts department.

I left it for two weeks or so and i rang regtel again who told me write a nice e-mail of complaint and send it to them, so thats what i done quoting legal action etc etc

I got a phone call from a blocked number some time later with a zamacom rep on the phone. He said i would be refunded the 45 euro by cheque which i received and was happy with.

The only way to treat these thieves is with pure ignorance which ive never used before, and keep on to regtel, they are a nice helpful bunch.

Thats it, hope ive helped somebody,

Thanks boards.ie merry xmas to all...:):):)

Raiser wrote: »
    I like Cormies idea.

I wonder could you just walk up to them and ask them if they'd like to avail of your free service......

Then just repeatedly kick them in the face until they scream stop.

HAH HAH thats gas

if you care to check i made no reference to any named company , organisation or individual in these posts , other people have mentioned ZAMANO , but i did not . I only speak from a recent personal experience but it did involve a foreign mobile network with offices here , an english txt delivery platform company , and a company in Canada who were behind the operation to steal money from Irish mobile phone users .
    I do have plenty of proof to back this up ,
    WHEN IGNORANCE IS BLISS ITS FOLLY TO BE WISE

grandaghia

I was making reference to all of your posts on the Consumer Issues forum, including your posts regarding Harvey Normans. You may want to consider the sum effect of all your posts.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Beta Bill

Folks I was ripped off by them a couple of years ago trying to download a single ringtone. Same happened to the missus in 2009. Did ye all know that they trade out of the "Digital Hub" in Thomas St Dublin? Did you know that YOUR taxes pay for them to trade there as a start up venture? According to the Hubs own website: http://www.thedigitalhub.com/ which purports this: The Digital Hub Project

The Digital Hub is an Irish Government initiative to create an international centre of excellence for knowledge, innovation and creativity focused on digital content and technology enterprises.

The core development of nine acres is located a ten minute walk from the city centre within the historic Liberties area of Ireland’s capital city, Dublin. Over the next decade, this initiative will create a mixed-use development, consisting of enterprise, residential, retail, learning and civic space.

The project is managed by an Irish government agency, the Digital Hub Development Agency, which was established in July 2003.

So there you go the govt is subsidising these guys to rip you off.

Finally I have some REALLY good news, how to get back at them. I have noticed last few months every website I open with Google Ads has their ad on the side or the top or whatever. Did you know THEY have to pay google EVERY time someone clicks on their ads regardless whether u purchase or not? So from now on click click click click on their ads!!!! Typical example of their current ad is "Whats your IQ" click here to do a test then at the end you have to input your mobile no. to get the result and guess what ? yes you have just subscribed to e10 a week without realising it. By the time you figure it out they have made 20e at least out of you.

So COME ON get clickkin!!!!

Beta Bill wrote: »
    Folks I was ripped off by them a couple of years ago trying to download a single ringtone. Same happened to the missus in 2009. Did ye all know that they trade out of the "Digital Hub" in Thomas St Dublin? Did you know that YOUR taxes pay for them to trade there as a start up venture? According to the Hubs own website: http://www.thedigitalhub.com/ which purports this: The Digital Hub Project

The Digital Hub is an Irish Government initiative to create an international centre of excellence for knowledge, innovation and creativity focused on digital content and technology enterprises.

The core development of nine acres is located a ten minute walk from the city centre within the historic Liberties area of Ireland’s capital city, Dublin. Over the next decade, this initiative will create a mixed-use development, consisting of enterprise, residential, retail, learning and civic space.

The project is managed by an Irish government agency, the Digital Hub Development Agency, which was established in July 2003.

Finally I have some REALLY good news, how to get back at them. I have noticed last few months every website I open with Google Ads has their ad on the side or the top or whatever. Did you know THEY have to pay google EVERY time someone clicks on their ads regardless whether u purchase or not? So from now on click click click click on their ads!!!! Typical example of their current ad is "Whats your IQ" click here to do a test then at the end you have to input your mobile no. to get the result and guess what ? yes you have just subscribed to e10 a week without realising it. By the time you figure it out they have made 20e at least out of you.

Fair play to ya, god wouldnt i love to met you in a bar...... if you read my
    thread above youll see i got my money back of them....
    Anyway im busy now clickin on zamano and i hope everyone elso does to.
    Happy new year to you my friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chaymus

got a new bill phone where i noticed a charge
    I used to get a crap meassages on my phone , which were virtually unreadable,
    basically some sent a message muffin from my phone about four years back been getting a text per week since,
    basically stung for €400

regtel can get me a €10 euro refund if i call Zamano at a local rate!! LOL

Zamano Revenues 2009 irl 1,700,000 not even a letter of thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Beta Bill wrote: »

yeah and let my computer be raped with malware,spyware,pop-ups and cookies...? no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

This happened to me years ago - started getting these texts taking money off my phone it was over 10 euro so I rang my phone provider. They kept saying I must have signed up I was 100% that I had not I never sign up to any downloads and had not even used the browser on the phone at all. I would not get off the phone til they told me who was charging me.

I rang them (it was not zamano a different company at the time). They had no evidence I had signed to anything (they knew damn well I had not) so I demanded a full refund and to be removed from all lists. I did actually get a refund cheque in the post for the 11 euro and I havent got a text since.

ironically a few weeks later I came into work and a colleague was on the phone to the same provider who were letting on that they did not know whop was charging her and could nto give details. Luckily I overheard it and told her what happened to me. She said 'my colleague has just informed me the same happened to her last week and its X thats doing it and you know it'. 2 minutes later she had the contact details for the company and was able to get it all sorted. what maddened me was the the phobe providers knew what was going on and didnt care and were reluctant to give details - I did wonder if it was phone provider who gave theis crowd my number in first place!

Update. I got a message from them on saturday saying the same thing. If you ring this steve fella he can sort it out. Zamanos new number is 087 2903798.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

Hi guys. I work in an Mobile Marketing agency and we run SMS based applications but as the ad says "nothing sneaky". Everything we do is permission based which means that you've to text us before you get a reply.

The other thing is that we don't use premium rate numbers only freetxt (50XXX) and standard rate (51XXX) in the main. Sometimes we use premium rate but rarely and we advise clients against it as it is damaging to the relationship.

Anyway - there is an easy way of finding out who the SP of any weird texts that you may receive is before ringing your network.

If you visit this site http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/sms_search.598.sms.html and enter the 5 digit shortcode then you can find out who owns that number and you can call them then directly. Maybe a mod can put that link in as a sticky?

If you receive a text and you think its dodgy you should immediately save it to your memory and reply to it with the word STOP. Once you do that you should keep an eye on your texts and credit/bill etc. If you continue to receive charges then contact the SP (after getting their details from the above link) and tell them to stop. If it continues then contact ComReg and RegTel and complain to both and also contact your network too.

Hope that helps some! If you have any more specific questions you can put them here or in a PM to me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Trippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

cormie wrote: »
    So on I think it was, March 7th, I got a text out of nowhere about some Podge and Rodge subscription and it told me text STOP to unsubscribe (unsubscribe to what I thought?). Apparantly I signed up to some service and it was done from my phone, the only way possible I think it could have been that my browser was activated while in my pocket and it did it from the homepage somehow, an unfortunate coincidence of random key presses in my pocket perhaps?

Anyway, it turned out I was charged 2.50 the next day after I got another text because I didn't text stop. I was afraid to text stop incase that itself would sign me up to something, these services are generally very sneaky. I rang o2 and they unsubscribed me but I wanted to find out where this company got my details from anyway and to get my money back. They said it'd be investigated and all that and I'd be sent a call log. I never got the log which was sent out on March 9th and that was the last I heard. I rang back today and they said it was investigated and they said the refund was declined as it happened from my phone and I didn't text stop! This was seen as them getting my permission:eek:

The lady the first day said it was done through a company called eirborne, I forgot the name of them today when I rang back but I asked who it was done through and the lady on the phone said she didn't have access to that info, I said the last lady in the same department was able to tell me, so why couldn't she. Then I remembered it was eirborne. I googled and saw eirborne was bought by Zamano!

It's only 2.50 yeah, but it's a matter of principal, I feel I've been robbed of 2.50 and I don't like the idea of it.

Any suggestions as to how I can go about getting what I believe is my money back?
    The exact same thing happened to me ... i contacted O2, they gave me the number for REGTEL and i contacted them with my complaint , i made it quite clear that i wasn't going to be ripped off for a service i did not knowingly subscribe to .. they sent zamano an email and i was told they would reply in 5 working days .. the call didn't come .. i got back on to O2 and regtel and i set my own terms for a full refund .. i recieved a call on fri ... i made it quite clear that one if i didn't get a full rufund i was going to take them to the small claims court , i also told them if that failed i would look for enough disgruntled people to take a class action against them ... well i recieved a phone call from zamano telling me they were going to pay me a full refund ,, it only took two weeks and 4 emails from regtel and one from myself .. O2 have circulated my advice to their customers service dept on how to deal with third party premium phone service providers... they made a mistake trying to rip me off .. i would've pursued them indefinately ..... its the only way ... always be courtious on the phone don't use any bad language , but be firm , direct and dont take no for an answer .... if everyone pursued them , one... they might stop ripping people off ... two REGTEL will get so annoyed , they'd investigate them for pleasure ..... hope this was of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oniromancia

Hi - has anyone else had the experience of receiving 'Zamano texts' for a relatively limited time like a few weeks or months, but when they get in contact with Zamano, they are told that they actually signed up at a date well before then? Zamano told me that because I 'signed up' (which of course I never did) so long ago, they aren't obliged to give me info on the circumstances, because they don't have to keep those records for longer than a certain period (maybe 6 months or a year, can't remember). I'm suspicious that they're pushing back the 'signup date' so they don't have to tell me anything about it (and thus reveal that they were thieving from me). thanks! pat

Hi - has anyone else had the experience of receiving 'Zamano texts' for a relatively limited time like a few weeks or months, but when they get in contact with Zamano, they are told that they actually signed up at a date well before then? Zamano told me that because I 'signed up' (which of course I never did) so long ago, they aren't obliged to give me info on the circumstances, because they don't have to keep those records for longer than a certain period (maybe 6 months or a year, can't remember). I'm suspicious that they're pushing back the 'signup date' so they don't have to tell me anything about it (and thus reveal that they were thieving from me). thanks! pat

Hi Pat
    I was in a similar position to yourself .. I took on ZAMANO head on , i contacted REGTEL and O2 who kindly offered their assistance , i then contacted ZAMANO's costomer support with a demand for a full refund or i'll take them to the small claims court .. I contacted REGTEL to inform them of my actions and asked them to be in a position to release all corespondence if so needed if court action was my only recourse .. i phoned them every day and deadlines were set for ZAMANO to make a response .. Well i got a response ,, their customer support phoned me to inform me that ZAMANO were to give me a full refund .. I have that message recorded .. two days later i got a letter informing me that i wasn't going to recieve a payment .. i contacted their head office and aked to speak to someone in charge or i'll phone every day till someone does speak to me ,, they hung up , so me being good to my word phoned them every day when at last i managed to speak to someone .. they first said they would put me through to their customer support but i demanded to speak to someone in head office , which they duely did and after about 10 minutes of ZAMANO trying to bluff me they finally relented and paid me a full refund .. i recieved the check the next day ... this doesn't end here as i'm lobbying eamon ryan and every regulating authority in ireland to get a change in the law ,, the way i see it is if you go to a restaurant they have to display prices by law .. why should phone service providers be any different ... i got a text from VERONICAS MOCO every 6 days and nowhere did it say that was costing me 2 euro 50 cent .. It'll be harder for them to scam people if the texts they send clearly stated the charge .. Pat you can find me on facebook under christy j walters .. if your interested in starting a campaign .. spread the word .. all the best christy

Got a total refund off ZAMANO .. It was a battle and its not over yet .. Today i got a letter off REGTEL accusing me of being a racist ! "I kid you not !" .. I contacted Zamanos customer services that are base in the Philippines and i negotiated a full refund with a lovely girl called mel .

I gave her my name and address so they could send a refund cheque ..The next day i got a letter off Zamano telling me they weren't paying me a refund .. The number for their HQ in Dublin was written at the bottom of the page so i gave them a call .. They hung up on me .. Bad idea as i phoned them everyday till someone dealt with my complaint .. It worked and after they tried to fob me off i finally got a full refund .. REGTEL started an enquiry and ZAMANO said , and i quote "His refusal to deal with non-Irish personnel made it even more difficult for the service provider to assist him !".... They continued "Mr Walters has been fully refunded as a "Gesture of good will" on the basis that he did not download any content .

This matter is still not resolved to my satisfaction .. Watch this space..
    You can find me on facebook under Christy J Walters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Today i got a letter off REGTEL accusing me of being a racist ! "I kid you not !"

Regtel are and always were a complete pack of tossers, not fit to be called a regulator. They are quoting Zamano telling lies about you there not directly accusing you I think but sadly with Regtel you never know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Got a total refund off ZAMANO .. It was a battle and its not over yet .. Today i got a letter off REGTEL accusing me of being a racist ! "I kid you not !" .. I contacted Zamanos customer services that are base in the Philippines and i negotiated a full refund with a lovely girl called mel .

I gave her my name and address so they could send a refund cheque ..The next day i got a letter off Zamano telling me they weren't paying me a refund .. The number for their HQ in Dublin was written at the bottom of the page so i gave them a call .. They hung up on me .. Bad idea as i phoned them everyday till someone dealt with my complaint .. It worked and after they tried to fob me off i finally got a full refund .. REGTEL started an enquiry and ZAMANO said , and i quote "His refusal to deal with non-Irish personnel made it even more difficult for the service provider to assist him !".... They continued "Mr Walters has been fully refunded as a "Gesture of good will" on the basis that he did not download any content .

This matter is still not resolved to my satisfaction .. Watch this space..
    You can find me on facebook under Christy J Walters

Well done - What absolute living, breathing Scum they are - especially in the current economic climate - They repulse me more than the Scumbags out mugging People in person as they haven't even got the decency to show their face as they rob People blind.

Filth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kneeelix

Regardless of what these companies say they are stealing from the mobile phone customers.
    I used to work for a major mobile phone network and on a daily basis would get customers coming in after their credit was stolen from their phone without their knowledge. (sometimes upwards of 300 euro and regularly over 50 euro)
    I have also had this happen to me. I know that numbers are recycled after a period of 18months of inactivity.
    As part of my job i had to know my way in and out of every model of phone and i know i did not sign up for any of these services. yet Credit was taken from my account without my permission.
    I personaly believe that these companies have a register of mobile phone numbers that they regularly send these messages to in order for the unsuspecting customer to make a mistake and accidentally sign up for something unknown to themselves. I also believe they send they send the messages to random numbers on a regular basis.
    If you are experiencing this:
    Contact your service provider. They will instruct you on what numbers you should text stop to.
    Secondly ask them to send an email on your behalf to the company requesting the immediate removal of the number from their register. If you receive any texts after this you can take it further.
    unfortunately the service provider is not responsible for obtaining any refund but a refund can be got. the important thing is to keep at their heels and deal with them in writing where possible.
    best of luck, hope this helps

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement