Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox disabling addons

• 17-12-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have used Firefox for a number of years and have always been very happy with it. Today I am very unhappy with it. Firefox has disabled a number of addons which I had. One in particular is Pixlr Grabber 2.1.4 which I use 20 times a day and have done so for a very long time. Firefox says it unsigned or something and gives instructions on how to get it back but you need to be a computer scientist to follow the instructions. I have tried to follow the instructions but it is way too difficult. This seems a very over the top security measure. why couldn't they just advise that its unsigned and to use it at your own risk.
    This situation is seriously impacting on my day to day use of my computer.
    Is there any other easier way of getting it back, you just can't enable/disable it yourself as you used to.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

That addon was discontinued over a year ago so you're going to have trouble with it going forward.

I don't see how the instructions are difficult though?
    1. Open a new tab.
    2. Type about:config and press enter.
    3. Accept the warning.
    4. Scroll down to xpinstall.signatures.required and double click on it to set it to false.
    5. Done!

Be aware this workaround will not work on the next release of Firefox (v44). And it's actually very good that they're doing this. Unsigned addons are a plague when it comes to web security.

Best bet is to find an alternative. Greenshot springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

thanks Maki, I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Have enabled pixlgrabber again thanks to your short and clear instruction. Life back ! will check Greenshot in due course. Thanks again Maki. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

No problem, but again be aware that Firefox 44 (due 26th January) will remove that flag and your addon will be permanently disabled.

After that your alternative is to find a new program or move to something like WaterFox where the addon should work, temporarily at least.

Advertisement