Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Play it by year

Options
  • 27-12-2015 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Another car crash tv quiz show brought to you by the RTE archives.

I keep expecting Mike Murphy to say something very un-PC and the combined age of the 3 girls is still less than Murphy himself.

Was there not ANY tv presenter of our generation that was available to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Twenty minutes in and only 5 points to one team load of boll. ..s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is bad. Very bad.

Reminds me of George Hamilton's Know Your Sport, and that must be 30 years old !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Twenty minutes in and only 5 points to one team load of boll. ..s

5 minutes and I turned it off. It had the look the sound and the presenter to suggest it will be a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

The stupidity on show is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It's got worse we are now gone backwards to old quiz shows for the questions how in God's name did this make our TV screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

eigrod wrote: »
    This is bad. Very bad.

Reminds me of George Hamilton's Know Your Sport, and that must be 30 years old !

There's George now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

For the 00's sport question the answer was the 1950s, odd logic that.

But the lack of correct answers makes it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

This wouldn't be a bad show if they tightened up the format and the editing a little bit. The old clips are fascinating and probably deserve a show of their own with somebody like Mike Murphy, himself, sending up the clips from the past. Its obvious they're trying to copy UK quiz shows with the overly large studio set up. Like those shows, it loses any atmosphere.

Mike has aged but hasn't lost any ability and IMO remains RTE's best broadcaster. The shame for both RTE and Murphy is he left many of his popular shows in his prime because he feared becoming stale. I think his series of interviews a few years back showed how good he is and, in comparison, just how plainly sh1t Tubridy and D'arcy are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

This is horrendous.
    I only want to see the old clips.
    Murphy is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

velo.2010 wrote: »
    This wouldn't be a bad show if they tightened up the format and the editing a little bit. The old clips are fascinating and probably deserve a show of their own with somebody like Mike Murphy, himself, sending up the clips from the past. Its obvious they're trying to copy UK quiz shows with the overly large studio set up. Like those shows, it loses any atmosphere.

Mike has aged but hasn't lost any ability and IMO remains RTE's best broadcaster. The shame for both RTE and Murphy is he left many of his popular shows in his prime because he feared becoming stale. I think his series of interviews a few years back showed how good he is and, in comparison, just how plainly sh1t Tubridy and D'arcy are.

Totally agree...as bad as the show was I did enjoy Mike Murphy and was a hell of a lot better interaction than tubs etc have. Lot of potential there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I can't understand why they would commission only four shows, with the investment in putting together a set, titles, intro music etc etc.

Though I was the first one to call for Mike Murphy as the new Late Late Show host. But Mike is a bit of a renegade, a bit like Brendan O'Connor. And RTE only give the best jobs to the student who brings in a apple to the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I watched it tonight. It was ok in places and silly in other places. It's a bit like reeling in the years but with questions instead of music. It's a bit slow moving at the start. Too much RTE archive footage and not enough questions. Do we really need to watch 10 clips from the Late Late Show and be asked "Which bird is the symbol of the show?"

All said, it's a good bit better than that thing Anne Doyle did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

With better editing and fewer contestants there might be a decent 30 minute show lost in the bloated mess which made it to air.

I would love to see a full repeat of the Celebrity Quicksilver programme featured during tonight's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

But if yer gonna make a clips show, make a clips show.
    Don't wrap it in a "quiz" with " teams".
    The questions are so easy that they'd easily slot into the compitition questions on the LLS or the RDS on Saturday.
    Pathetic questions.

Skid X wrote: »
    With better editing and fewer contestants there might be a decent 30 minute show lost in the bloated mess which made it to air.

I would love to see a full repeat of the Celebrity Quicksilver programme featured during tonight's show.

I thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

The questions are so easy that they'd easily slot into the compitition questions on the LLS or the RDS on Saturday.
    Pathetic questions.

That said, the answers by the contestants are fukkn atrocious

Pathetic questions.

Exactly. If they did a 6pt 30min series of old quiz shows, I'd watch it.

Different quiz show on each week with Murphy interviewing the host.

Scratch that. They'd have to do an episode on Blackboard Jungle

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it came across as very amateurish. Very poor production values, poor job by Mike and poor contestants. The sum of all deficits? Poor. :)

A great idea executed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr E wrote: »
    I thought it came across as very amateurish. Very poor production values, poor job by Mike and poor contestants. The sum of all deficits? Poor. :)

A great idea executed badly.
    Some of the questions are so random and amateurish, I think some poor Jobsbridge intern got locked in an archive room and told to do up 1000 questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Just tuned in to this latest offering from RTE - truly awful ! Teams answering questions replayed from old quiz shows, and presided over by Mike Murphy ... You couldn't make it up ! And this is what we're paying TV licence for !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Would anyone have a list of these questions?
    They'd be good to have for some family fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's a semi-decent 27 minute quiz show hidden in there somewhere.
    Unfortunately they went with a 55 minute padded out mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Jaysis
    Impossible questions, they couldn't be any harder with the most obtuse answers
    They answer 1 out of 5 and Mike says well done well done..each time

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I haven't seen Mike Murphy in a few years, he's after aging a lot and his hair is disappearing.
    Quiz shows are well past their sell by date and they are dead boring.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I haven't seen Mike Murphy in a few years, he's after aging a lot and his hair is disappearing.

I'm a sucker for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would anyone have a list of these questions?
    They'd be good to have for some family fun! :)

How old was the Limerick woman when she won euromillions was one question. Another was how many children had she.

Who would know that? It is a ridiculous show though I did like seeing Teresa Lowe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Bad show but at 74 Mike Murphy is still the best game show host. 1000s of times better than the others we've had last 10 years. Yes you Nicky byrne Brian ormonde and Derek Mooney. Marty is OK imo. Gerry Maye and k Thomas were terrible too

lertsnim wrote: »
    How old was the Limerick woman when she won euromillions was one question. Another was how many children had she.

Who would know that? It is a ridiculous show though I did like seeing Teresa Lowe again.

I heard those few. Ah I hadn't a clue but it's fun guessing. Maybe I'm just odd though! I knew she was from limerick that was it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭older i get better i was

Mike murphy ffs mustta dug him up outta deansgrange! Pure ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sam Kade wrote: »

Are you saying they're Pointless?

Advertisement