Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Klondike - Ireland's First Western

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Mal-adjusted, re: season 2's potential storylines
    let me just say that the ending of the series is substantially different from the ending of the theatrical version. I guess they felt it needed to work differently for a standalone feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 white devil

rodge68 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it...a tad cliched, drunken fighting Irish but it was probably true back then..

Jaysus, what high hole do you live up?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

maudgonner wrote: »
    Mal-adjusted, re: season 2's potential storylines
    let me just say that the ending of the series is substantially different from the ending of the theatrical version. I guess they felt it needed to work differently for a standalone feature.

I just watched the film version on the TG4 player and as regards the ending:
    The film version didn't really get into all the other characters that live in the town, or even the storyline with the baby - which was a big cliffhanger in the series.

So there is lots of material there to run with if a second season is in the works.

The ending in the film was completely different from the series, but I think Maudgonner hit the nail on the head as to why the different ending was added to the film version.

Personally, I enjoyed the TV ending better -
    you end up with the three brothers back together but you know that Seamus has betrayed Tom and that tension will run through whatever comes next.

I think the version that was broadcast on TG4 as four episodes sets up Season 2 very well.

Any word yet if a second season is coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

I think the version that was broadcast on TG4 as four episodes sets up Season 2 very well.

Any word yet if a second season is coming?

Funding received, cast are booked. Shooting begins May to be aired late autumn, PM for more details

9 IFTA nominations, more than any other film/series. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Yeah, i seen that here! fair play indeed

That's some achievement, but no more than the series deserved. It was an excellent piece of television and I'm glad to see that it's getting some recognition.

It was THE best thing I've seen on Irish television in a long time, Abu Media make some stunning TV. The west will be out in force on the night of the IFTAs, hope they get a good few, they worked off a fraction of the budget Brooklyn got, and managed to get more nominations. Worth a read: http://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/lets-just-give-all-the-iftas-to-the-superb-an-klondike-pat-stacey-34541045.html

Ifta awards have been announced. I'll spoiler for anyone wanting to watch the show on tv tomorrow and be surprised (but it's in the media now anyway)
    4 Ifta awards for An Klondike!

Best Drama (beating GoT, Vikings, Penny Dreadful and Rebellion), Best Actor for Dara Devanney, Best Script and Best Makeup.

Delighted for all involved.

So well deserved. The Rebellion table were very very unhappy last night.
    Airs tonight on tv3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Airs tonight on tv3.

why were they unhappy surely they didnt expect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Airs tonight on tv3.
    Didn't Ruth Bradley get one for Rebellion!
    Better luck on the next one!:p

Just seeing this now - the series was a deserving winner of the Best Drama but it must count as something of an upset considering they were up against the likes of Game of Thrones and Vikings?

RTE must be disappointed coming away with only a single award for their flagship series.

Any news from TG4 on when series 2 of An Klondike will be on our screens? A previous poster mentioned autumn, but that seems like a quick turn around if they are only filming it this summer?

Just seeing this now - the series was a deserving winner of the Best Drama but it must count as something of an upset considering they were up against the likes of Game of Thrones and Vikings?

RTE must be disappointed coming away with only a single award for their flagship series.

Any news from TG4 on when series 2 of An Klondike will be on our screens? A previous poster mentioned autumn, but that seems like a quick turn around if they are only filming it this summer?

They have funding and are shooting in May, to be aired late Autumn. Don't be surprised to see series 3 the same time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Klondike 2 starts at 9:30pm on Wednesday 1st February.
    New cast members joining the action for Season 2 include Timothy V Murphy (True Detective, Sons of Anarchy), Duane Howard (The Revenant), Tim Creed (My Brothers) and Donncha Crowley (Kings).

Season 2 comprises 4 episodes and will be broadcast over four consecutive weeks on TG4 before moving onto international platforms.
    http://anklondike.com/season-2/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did this ever get an international streaming release?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Did this ever get an international streaming release?

Yeah, it was released on Netflix US (and a few other regions) under the name Dominion Creek.

Great show, delighted that it is coming back. The first series was one of the best things I've seen on Irish TV in a long time, hopefully this new series lives up to expectations.

They look to be taking things up a notch with some of that new cast - Tim Murphy has carved out a good career for himself over in Hollywood, thought he was decent in True Detective. The last time I saw him on Irish TV was around twenty years ago on good old Glenroe!

Trailer looks good too:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Missed this the first time round & not a netflix subscriber anymore. Anyone know if it's available to download legally in HD anywhere?

OU812 wrote: »
    Missed this the first time round & not a netflix subscriber anymore. Anyone know if it's available to download legally in HD anywhere?

Just looking at the TG4 website there for info on Series 2 and it looks like they are currently repeating the first series. First two parts are up on the TG4 player:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5269605116001

The third part is on TG4 tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Has anyone watched it on acorn TV? If it's dubbed I don't want to bother signing up.

Has anyone watched it on acorn TV? If it's dubbed I don't want to bother signing up.

Yeah, that's the dubbed version I think. TG4 player is the best place for the Gaeilge version.

Feck it anyway.

Just finished watching the first series that was being repeated there on TG4. Good idea from them to repeat all the episodes, I had forgotten half of the storylines from the first series.

Be interesting to see where the new series picks up considering the time-jumps in the first four episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

brian_t wrote: »
    Klondike 2 starts at 9:30pm on Wednesday 1st February.

http://anklondike.com/season-2/

Came across this TV show on TG4 recently and watched the first series. I came onto this thread as first series finished tonight.

Man, was I excited to see that your post that series 2 starts next week! This show is one of the best I have watched in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just watched an episode of this on the TG4 player for the first time.

I was very impressed.

If anyone liked the TV series Deadwood they will love this same type of thing.

Only this has even more Irish then Deadwood had (Deadwood used Irish for the Cornish workers)

If you are worried that Klondike has nothing but Irish in it don't worry there is fair smattering of English in it as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,990 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Timothy V Murphy is like an older Michael Fassbender and one of the go to actors for villains :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Timothy V Murphy is like an older Michael Fassbender and one of the go to actors for villains :p

He's got a great look for a Western. I'm looking forward to seeing the new series tonight. Anyone else watching?

C1XJOwQWIAAySD3.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Looking forward to this, it's so unusual to have an Irish show not based in contemporary Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Could I watch the new episode tonight without having seen the first season, or is a serialised show?

Advertisement