Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

+353 1 111 1111

• 30-05-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭

I keep getting calls on my mobile from +353 1 111 1111! When I answer there's nobody there - anybody got any idea what the story is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

this might help, seems to be something to do with insurance for Sky TV

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/011111111

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Lois?

(Sorry :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The reason there is no one there is that these companies use an automated dialler.
    Ie, the phone system calls numbers from a pre-defined call list and if someone answers it then connects the call to a sales agent (ie, a human).
    This saves the company time and money as agents get 'live' calls presented to them rather then spending their time manually ringing many numbers - some of which get answered some of which dont.
    However, if no agent is available when you answer then you will hear nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bungler wrote: »
    this might help, seems to be something to do with insurance for Sky TV

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/011111111

sounds like one big scam, whoever they are
    thanks for this, I won't even bother answering if they try ringing me

even worse than that, I got a call from a market research company to my mobile at 7pm on a saturday (while eating dinner of course)
    needless to say I hung up straight away and turned it off to stop them ringing back

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

RPL1 wrote: »
    I keep getting calls on my mobile from +353 1 111 1111! When I answer there's nobody there - anybody got any idea what the story is?

There was a couple of calls from this number to the landline when I was out this morning.
    Is it really something to do with Sky? We dont have Sky, never have, but have had lots of calls in the past trying to sell us Sky so it could be them.

The number on the display shows: 35311111111
    From Googling Irish numbers I get the same number and 353 (0)87 11111111 linked to some tourist/discoverireland/hotels. They're both very odd numbers and the second one is a mobile number, isn't it? Could it be a central booking or reservation agency trying to sell holidays, I wonder?

Maybe someone knows for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We've been getting calls from this number at work, but never anyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Got a call from this number to my business number just now. I actually had my phone on silent so didn't answer it anyway, hopefully they won't try again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

My house got calls from this number a few times, my sister answered once and said it was a business man asking for my mother who owns a private business. After googling the number I found that it was not to be trusted.

Just now, we got a call from the number again. My mother wasn't in and I proceeded to have some fun with the foreign guy on the other end

He said he wanted to set up a website for her business and asked was she there. I put him onto my grandmother and got her to play along (She certainly didn't sound like an active business woman) She said that her son could design websites and there was no need for the guy to do it, then she put him back onto me.
    The guy had no clue about designing websites. He mentioned simple things that basic designers could do. I asked for a website and he sent me to this one which I'm sure isn't his company's http://www.businessprodesigns.com/. I played along talking absolute muck to the guy to see how far he would go. After messing around with the guy for about 10 minutes I said my mother had been retired for about 20 years sure what would she want a website now for and he realized how much of an idiot he had been and ended :cool:

All in all, don't trust this number or anyone on the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

These calls are from an auto dialer and could be from anyone. Whoever set up the dialer, set it up with 1111111.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I get these ALL THE TIME!

9 times out of 10 I don't answer, but any time I do (e.g. 10 minutes ago) there's no one there. Really annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Aren't those silent calls illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonnyDark

I also recieve 2 calls. Do not answer, it is a scam!

See here: http://www.tellows.co.za/num/0035311111111

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That doesn't add any info other than some anonymous comment
    "Autodialer! Do not call back, triple your bill!"

Ok I won't, but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

I'm getting calls from these hoors now...some Asian <SNIP> ...surely to God there must be some way to block / shut down these <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My parents phone is also dogged by these calls, but they are hell bent not to change the number.

I told them to answer and then just leave the phone off the hook. They have a habit of answering and checking the caller display afterwards as they don't want the answer machine to kick in at 12 rings.

Advertisement