Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the correct procedures after an accident where driver is injured?

• 20-07-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

A friend was involved in an accident recently and was injured, no other party involved. Just hit a pillar head on.

The ambulance, Gardai and fire brigade all called and he was treated at the scene before being brought to hospital.

He was there for 4 days before being discharged.

His car is a write off and is sitting in the Gardai impound lot.

But what happens now with hospital and medical charges?

Is there a fee for the Gardai/ambulance/fire brigade too?

What is he entitled to claim for, he has fully comprehensive insurance through AXA?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I'd say axa could probably explain the process to him best. They deal with those kind of questions daily, so I'd start there. ;)

Cheers,
    Muppet man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Col200sx wrote: »
    But what happens now with hospital and medical charges?

Is there a fee for the Gardai/ambulance/fire brigade too?

What is he entitled to claim for, he has fully comprehensive insurance through AXA?

Thanks.

Yes there are call out fees for the fire brigade. Not sure on ambulance/gardai.

This is all outlined on his policy documents (even a summary document). It clearly says how much the insurance company will pay towards medical expenses, fire brigade callout, etc etc.

In fact - here: http://www.axa.ie/download/axa-car-insurance-summary-post-030513.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hope your mate will be ok.
    Print those docs out and have a read. Approach Axa with any questions, they will know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Thanks folks, I thought there was a general "this-is-what-happens-next" situation that was not specific to ones insurance cover.

He has rang AXA to inform them of the accident. But I think they were only interested in seeing if he was claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

This is actually very interesting subject.

As someone said there are probably fire brigade call out charges, which should be covered by most insurance policies, unless it's third party only.

There will also probably be a fee for towing his car to garda impound lot, which also most likely will be covered by comprehensive insurance, but if someone had third party only, then they would have to pay it themselves.

I don't think there is any charge for gardai attending the scene.

Is there any charge for amulance?
    Surely he will need to pay A&E hostpial fee, and fee for every night staying in hospital. But AFAIR those charges are not big. (AFAIR about €100 initial fee, and €60 daily). And obviously if policy has "personal accident" extension this could be covered as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Pretty sure if you are brought to A&E by ambulance, there are no A&E fees. If you walk in off the street with an injury, you have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

just because accidents and injuries happen its not all about claim claim claim!!!!!!I was recently in an accident,injured my back,it'll heal (I hope) not the end of the world and no I am not on drugs for what I have just said :D

Advertisement