Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Defence to assist Gardaí

• 23-01-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

A judge has suggested the Civil Defence be drafted in to help police the Dublin suburb of Tallaght following a number of violent deaths in the area.

What in gods name is going on with this judge, either;
    A - He doesn't actually know a thing about Civil Defence and thinks they're some kind of army force like some of the public think.
    B - He knows what we do and has gone soft in the head.

Call Civil Defence if you need water pumped, meals on wheels delivered in bad weather, search for missing persons, medical cover if your stuck, etc.
    Not to police area with high incidents of gun crime.. surely that's a job for the army.

I'm all for using the army to clean up an area.

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/judge-calls-for-civil-defence-after-social-order-breakdown-1.1664782

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

19hz wrote: »
    A judge has suggested the Civil Defence be drafted in to help police the Dublin suburb of Tallaght following a number of violent deaths in the area.

What in gods name is going on with this judge, either;
    A - He doesn't actually know a thing about Civil Defence and thinks they're some kind of army force like some of the public think.
    B - He knows what we do and has gone soft in the head.

Call Civil Defence if you need water pumped, meals on wheels delivered in bad weather, search for missing persons, medical cover if your stuck, etc.
    Not to police area with high incidents of gun crime.. surely that's a job for the army.

I'm all for using the army to clean up an area.

Source:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/judge-calls-for-civil-defence-after-social-order-breakdown-1.1664782

To be perfectly honest, it is most certanly not a job for the army. They are not Police. If things aren't going well, more police with better gear, better training and a useful court system/ prison system is the answer.

Oh sorry, that probably costs money...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

bravestar wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, it is most certanly not a job for the army. They are not Police. If things aren't going well, more police with better gear, better training and a useful court system/ prison system is the answer.

Oh sorry, that probably costs money...

I'd agree that more Gardaí are better.

However I think it is a job the army could carry out on short term. Esp the military police who actually assist the police in certain parts of the UK like Romford on weekends.

I'd agree that more Gardaí are better.

However I think it is a job the army could carry out on short term. Esp the military police who actually assist the police in certain parts of the UK like Romford on weekends.

Forgive me but I've never seen an MP in the district court having lifted a lad and prosecuting him for public order offences, let alone, any sort of serious offence.

Forgive me but I've never seen an MP in the district court having lifted a lad and prosecuting him for public order offences, let alone, any sort of serious offence.

Your're forgiven, however naive that was.

There is obviously provisions for the army working with the Gardaí, sure didn't they assist in the apprehension of something like 7 suspects in a tiger kidnapping a couple of months ago.

Obviously the Gardaí would be put alongside the army to carry out tasks in a lawful manner whilst assisted by the army, not the army on their own like you're implying..that's also naive.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Judge is making tallaght to be a war zone absolutely ridiculous ,
    Serious tallaght is not a war zone for the best part its fairly quite like most places ,
    The judge should apologise for the statement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Is it just the case that he hasn't a clue who the CD are and what they do, or did he have a specific and "appropriate" role in mind (I wonder what on earth that could be though)?

My money is on a big mouth and no clue.

Your're forgiven, however naive that was.

There is obviously provisions for the army working with the Gardaí, sure didn't they assist in the apprehension of something like 7 suspects in a tiger kidnapping a couple of months ago.

Obviously the Gardaí would be put alongside the army to carry out tasks in a lawful manner whilst assisted by the army, not the army on their own like you're implying..that's also naive.. :rolleyes:

Why would any member of AGS need a soldier beside them to do their job?

Why would any member of AGS need a soldier beside them to do their job?

I'm not saying they do.

I'm saying that surely the army would be better suited to assisting the Gardaí than the CD IF IF IF IF IF IF IF they wanted some organisation to assist them.

I assume it would be to boost numbers on the street.
    i.e. if you have two Gardaí then they patrol one street together.
    If you had two army personnel then a Guard could take one army dude each and patrol two streets...hence two streets instead of one being patrolled.

I haven't a clue about tallaght lads, I'm just saying it's hilarious this judge obviously doesn't know anything about the CD :rolleyes:

I'm not saying they do.

I'm saying that surely the army would be better suited to assisting the Gardaí than the CD IF IF IF IF IF IF IF they wanted some organisation to assist them.

I assume it would be to boost numbers on the street.
    i.e. if you have two Gardaí then they patrol one street together.
    If you had two army personnel then a Guard could take one army dude each and patrol two streets...hence two streets instead of one being patrolled.

I haven't a clue about tallaght lads, I'm just saying it's hilarious this judge obviously doesn't know anything about the CD :rolleyes:

It is hilarious alright and I do see where you are coming from. But having people involved in front line policing who are not trained for it is a bad idea, be they CD, Army or the billy barry kids.

If anything, the army could be far better used in protection posts, freeing up actual Gardai to go out on to the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It is hilarious alright and I do see where you are coming from. But having people involved in front line policing who are not trained for it is a bad idea, be they CD, Army or the billy barry kids.

Now THAT would be good to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Without giving any details, AGS and the army regularly work side by side in the movement of cash through our main airport.

They are there for the obvious firepower deterrent and expertise if an armed robbery attempt took place. They also have helicopters based close by that could give air cover leaving the Garda chopper free over the rest of the city.

I don't see any difference in helping with armed patrols?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Very strange statement to make by the judge. I got a message from my CD unit this morning but nothing has been decided on yet. Lads just recruit more gardai lol

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Walker

Why do judges insist on delivering sound bites which are either ill judged , ill thought out or just plain wrong?

The Civil Defence have little or no role they could fill in a situation like this and there are many stages to go through before one even considers bringing in the army.

The army are soldiers not police . Their training deals with lethal force and destruction and is generally deployed in areas where civil authority has broken down completely and the police are under equipped and untrained to deal with the level of violence being used against them.

I don't think Tallaght is anywhere near that stage yet

Lads yer gone off on some hilarious tangent about the army being armed and trained to lethal force..

Slightly overlooking the fact they we are world renowned for our peacekeeping missions not killing people.
    Get a grip..I'm sure soldiers would do a fine job of policing a place IF IF IF they had too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Lads yer gone off on some hilarious tangent about the army being armed and trained to lethal force..

Slightly overlooking the fact they we are world renowned for our peacekeeping missions not killing people.
    Get a grip..I'm sure soldiers would do a fine job of policing a place IF IF IF they had too.

Previous posts are not really trying to disrespect the Defense Forces as a purely killing force. I like many Gardai have worked alongside the Irish army and for me have total respect for the job do.

I think what is trying to be said is that if the Defense Forces were utilised in a situation within the Republic to assist the Gardai it would be considered a situation of such dire consequences that could and would portray a terrible failing of society and of the Gardai ( as in unable to contain and deal with it).

An example would be Irish peacekeepers requiring special assistance abroad from a military force of another country because they couldn't handle the situation. It would be damaging to the reputation of the Irish Army as it would be for An Garda Siochana

carzony wrote: »
    Very strange statement to make by the judge. l

Not really. Plenty of opinions of it being misguided, misinformed, maybe even stupid. Point is it has made definite local and even national news. The powers that be don't like headlines like that so depending on the pickup of the news and hopefully a decent follow through will magically produce extra money and therefore resources being made available to Tallaght Gardai and the Community to tackle the problem.

Rest assured the plan of throwing money to alleviate the problem will be short lived and concentrate solely on being short term but will keep the voters happy for the time being. All about saving face and that Sir is Irish life.

Anyone think I'm being cynical please say so but be warned I will contest your views against as a Garda stationed in a district where crime is being controlled to a certain extent all within an hour of Dublin

I meant no disrespect to the Irish army.My father was with the Irish army in The Congo , I had two uncles in Cypress with the Irish UN and an uncle and first cousin in Lebanon so I have great respect for the Irish Army and their peace keeping skills .

The point I was trying to make is that there is a big difference between "peace keeping" and "policing" . Peacekeeping is generally required when the situation has gotten so violent that the police are no longer capable of doing their job. Though both jobs overlap there is a difference and soldiers are generally brought in when basic law and order has broken down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Peace is what's needed in this world, I offer my peace to you all, why can't it be that simple for others?

I meant no disrespect to the Irish army.My father was with the Irish army in The Congo , I had two uncles in Cypress with the Irish UN and an uncle and first cousin in Lebanon so I have great respect for the Irish Army and their peace keeping skills .

The point I was trying to make is that there is a big difference between "peace keeping" and "policing" . Peacekeeping is generally required when the situation has gotten so violent that the police are no longer capable of doing their job. Though both jobs overlap there is a difference and soldiers are generally brought in when basic law and order has broken down

Had the pleasure of meeting of a few Irish army at the back of the Dublin Airport during Obama's visit. Sound lads from Dundalk. Learnt a lot from them and had some craic to pass the time if ye see this this. While we were put up in hotel and having a good time ye were in tents.

Kudos to ye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

If that judge wants to look for a solution to the problem he should look to his own colleagues and ask the question as to why so many of these thugs are out on the streets and not locked up after their 100th conviction. If anybody has the power to change things it's the judiciary, start handing down tough consecutive sentences and I bet you'll see the crime rate coming down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 collie74

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭pah

If that judge wants to look for a solution to the problem he should look to his own colleagues and ask the question as to why so many of these thugs are out on the streets and not locked up after their 100th conviction. If anybody has the power to change things it's the judiciary, start handing down tough consecutive sentences and I bet you'll see the crime rate coming down too.

^^^This, you beat me too it. I wonder how many people contributing to this violence and social breakdown are on Bail, Temporary Release or a Suspended Sentence?? What a clown, he was probably up all night watching 24 or The Siege or something

I'd love to see a history of this Judge's sentencing to see how hard he is on people coming before his court. If you want to solve a crime problem you need more Gardaí and tough sentencing to act as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The army are an aid to the civil power - they aid when needed.

To say that they''re unsuited too this task isn't only stupid, its unconstitutional.

Now to say that their assistance might be inappropriate or perhaps not required is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

More prisons to incarcerate the criminals in lieu of humane killing.

sdeire wrote: »
    The army are an aid to the civil power - they aid when needed.

To say that they''re unsuited too this task isn't only stupid, its unconstitutional.

Now to say that their assistance might be inappropriate or perhaps not required is different.

The point I am trying to make is that the army are both unsuited and unnecessary to the CURRENT situation. I have no problems with the army but I would much rather see a guard on patrol than a few heavily armed soldiers.

Because the day I see armed soldiers patrolling the street will be the day ill know its time to emigrate because thugs and bowsies have taken over the streets and the country is no longer a safe place in which to live. I don't want to live under martial law

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

An interesting difference between a soldier and a police officer is that soldiers rely and only act on orders (for the most part).
    Whereas police (whilst they also rely on orders) have a greater freedom to 'think for themselves' and can make 'independent decisions' and act as a situation develops... without waiting and looking to their superiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Lads, has nobody heard of compromise? The Defence Forces can help out - they can bring the CD vols down to the Curragh for a day, and then truck them off to Tallaght armed to the teeth.

Then we'll see what a "total breakdown” of social order looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

This crap is trotted out every now and then by people who don't know what they are talking about, you can't substitute police to deal with crime with powerless civilians or soldiers with no powers. Great soundbite for a headline, it has never happened and will never happen! Resource the gardai problem solved!

Advertisement