Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Since all 4 are struggling to have to think they just aren't comfortable on the new cloth. Hopefully the standard picks up tomorrow since they will all have a session under the belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

5-3 to O'Sullivan. Very scrappy session. Looked ominous for Stevens at 4-0 but he's right back in it now. Highest break so far was 80 by Stevens.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You'd think with progression the semis would be top quality stuff. Instead we got jittery mediocre performances from all 4 players. I expect a much better display from them all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Stevens hasn't played well but he's still very much in the match and hopefully the standard picks up tomorrow as they adjust to the quick table.

jebforever wrote: »
    Stevens hasn't played well but he's still very much in the match and hopefully the standard picks up tomorrow as they adjust to the quick table.

Positioning play maybe, but I cannot really fathom how the cloth would have such a significant impact that caused them to make those stupid stupid blunders and misses. Stevens played some terrible choices of shot and pot attempts. I think he even held the cue wrong for one and it slipped from his elbow didn't see it in the replay though so couldn't confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I only saw the O'Sullivan-Stevens match and right from the off you could see they were struggling to control the cue ball and under/over-hitting shots. On another note, I really admired the sportsmanship of Stevens when he called a foul on himself on a few occasions. That's the thing I love about snooker, the players respect the rules and aren't afraid to admit their error in important moments of a frame. Jimmy White is well-known for calling fouls on himself but I think the vast majority of players have done this during their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

jebforever wrote: »
    I only saw the O'Sullivan-Stevens match and right from the off you could see they were struggling to control the cue ball and under/over-hitting shots. On another note, I really admired the sportsmanship of Stevens when he called a foul on himself on a few occasions. That's the thing I love about snooker, the players respect the rules and aren't afraid to admit their error in important moments of a frame. Jimmy White is well-known for calling fouls on himself but I think the vast majority of players have done this during their career.

Except for those damn Chinese eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JBarnes1986

Stevens should just shake hands at the mid session interval and be done with it. Gonna get slaughtered.

It's the best of 33 frames not a best of 9.Someone of Stevens ability is never going to be "slaughtered",especially at the Crucible where his record is excellent.You should have more respect for him.The 1st time I seen him play was in a Pontins Pro-Am Back in 89 or 90.He must have around 11 or 12,he could barely reach the table.Myself and Mick Judge,who turned out to be one of the best players to come out of this country,sat opened mouthed watching this little kid knock in 2 centuries in a best of 3 frame match.We nearly felt like giving up the game.I did but fortunately Mick continued on and had a decent career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Looks like I'm the only one around at the minute...

Maguire's got it back to 5-5, but the quality still isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

No BBC coverage atm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

The twentieth frame of these semi-finals, and only now do we get a century...

Lucutus wrote: »
    No BBC coverage atm?

It's on Eurosport. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Lucutus wrote: »
    No BBC coverage atm?

It's on bbc if you press the red button.

Well, that was some frame...

And talk about lightning striking twice for Maguire.

No wonder he had a face like thunder there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Maguire could do with a serious burst of inspiration, losing the 13th frame must have been painful. Carter looks like a shark out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I said it before this match started that no one had put Maguire under any sort of pressure so far in the tournament, give him chances any he can destroy you but if you get at him he buckles, he's always been like that. Carter has the game to do that and so far is doing a good job on him.

9-5 Maguire needs at least 1 of the last two.

Thats a great reply from Maguire, big frame the last one now

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Hey, you said he needed a big break there, and what did he do?

The highest break in this tournament besides Hendry's 147.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

mixed up wrote: »
    It's on bbc if you press the red button.

No red button on my keyboard here... BBC two coverage starting up now though, happy day!

Carter wins the session 5-3 and is now four clear at 10-6. His to lose now, big first couple of frames when they come back out tonight.
    He'll be happy with that and once you have Maguire banging his cue on the floor and thumping his fist on the table you now you're doing well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

For someone who before the tournament said he wasn't enjoying his snooker much, he's doing pretty damn well!

Great start by Stevens takes the first frame, some excellent pots ans shots. Let's see how O'Sullivan responds.

Both players hitting the ball well, could be in for a great session

zack01 wrote: »
    Both players hitting the ball well, could be in for a great session

Agreed, fantastic stuff so far.

Great 63 clearance by Stevens to make it 5 apiece... he's won five of the last six frames.

• Advertisement

Advertisement