Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3day<35min10km2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Best of luck with your log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Hay, Thanks Mr Slow, I'm going to need it! !!

This must be the only running log with no running in it :o.

So the book and the watch arrived yesterday. May I say the 305 is one enomous watch :eek:. I've started the book and hopefully will have a complete plan put together by the time I get back from germany next week.

I've been training away quietly, which has been at best so-so at the moment.

Diet wise I'm settling on the following

Breakfast: mixed nuts with rasins
    Lunch: home made veg soup or french onion soup (my lucky work mated :p)
    Diner: home made burgers, bacon & egg, omlettes
    Snacks: fruit

Again I'll be trialing this when I get back, this really is my achills heal, hard running session are limited either by cramps or the "runs" so if I can get this bit right it will be a bit step in the right direction.

I'll be back in a week, with another non-running related post.

So I've been away with work for the week and managed to gain some very usefully calorie reserves all while practicing my long duration sitting technique with some session extending to a pb of 20hr.
    Further more the above training provide me with the opertunity to read my book "run less, run faster". the nuts and bolts of this are as follows...
    3 run training session per week, with pace etc determined by your last 5km time.
    min of 2 cross training session per week, at whatever intensity you can handle (i think). The book does give plenty of examples of cross training session and an example of a weeks training but does not actually perscribe a cross training intensity. Also it does allow for extra cross training sessions.

So for me this looks something like
    Day_____________ AM__________ PM

Monday __________________________CX
    Tuesday_________ Running (5am) ____CX
    Wednesday _______________________CX
    Thursday________ Running (5am)____ CX
    Friday ___________________________CX (CX?)
    Saturday________ Running
    Sunday__________ CX

These early morning starts are going to give me an ideal operaturnity to improve my discpline and determination,

My first 10km race of the year will be the 9 of april, so the above plan will begin on the 16 january. In the mean time I will dip in and out of some of the session described in the book to check the garmin etc works ok.

Today I will be making my first ever home made soup :o.

The soap tasted suprisingly like boiled socks, I was so good I still have some in the freezer.

First ever running related post :D and it now works :D:D:D
    6494076509_84bf2b1036_z.jpg

I got caught out when the garmin autostopped, so it was actually a 10km run with a 1-2min break in the middle.
    I'm still not sure how to get the alarms to work as this was supposed to be a nice easy run to get me back into the habbit.

Small cramps but nothing like what they used to be, so cutting out the coffee may be the cure. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056475951

So this week will be the first week on the new diet proper, fingers crossed!

I actually did no running this week, not one mile :o. I geared myself up to go wednesday, got to the door and it was raining :eek:. So no running of any kind to report. But i have decided that I'm going to start using the gym treadmill when ever I don't make it out, and given my Hatred of the cold there will be a lot of talk about the treadmill on this tread.

Saw a tread about the training plan on the main page and it does make for some very interesting reading. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481701

Last week was the start of the better diet, and things are just as tough as I remember. If I'm honest today is the first day that I didn't fall off the waggon. I am sticking to my old plan of over eating I find it much easier this way, but eventually I'll change over completely.
    Junk food ---> Junk food + good food ----> good food.

For the record a good food day looks like this....
    Breakfast: 150g of mixed nuts
    Lunch: 3x brown bread and chesse and 2 apples (the bread and cheese was a little slip, but I'm not willing to beat myself up about it).
    Diner: 400g Tomato soup, 50g of mixed nuts, 2 x steak bugers, 400g of sweet potatoe, 1 head of broccolli, 1 fried onion.
    I've just noticed that is quiet a bit of food, easy 3000+ cals.

I am definitely heading out tomorrow, there will be miles to report next week.

Happy Christmas to you all :).

• Advertisement

Donelson wrote: »
    I actually did no running this week, not one mile :o. I geared myself up to go wednesday, got to the door and it was raining :eek:.

HTFU! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Mr Slow wrote: »
    HTFU! :P

:D

Yep, rain doesn't hurt....not one bit :pac:

Get out there !

jprender wrote: »
    :D

Yep, rain doesn't hurt....not one bit :pac:

Get out there !

I am made of salt and will disolve at the first sign of moisture, I can't prove this as that would require me to be exposed to rain, and it's just not worth the risk :pac:.

In other news I did go out today, dispite the near apocolypicly cold weather, and it looked something like this

6527389503_225aedddae_z.jpg

After the above ordeal I headed straight into town to buy some thermals (stupidly removing my best/most reliable excuse :().

Based on the above run, I think I can concluded that my training method could be politely described as unstructured.
    So tomorrows run :eek:, (I had be hoping to get out on the bike but i'll be dark by the time I get home from Dublin) I'm hoping to hold a pace any pace/heart rate and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

you need to get soem structure to your programme.Not an easy time of the year to run but conditions due to improve over the next few days.

Maybe a good idea would be to type down your weekly schedule before the week starts and get some opinions from posters with some experience.

There is alot of running to be done to break 35minutes for 10k and if you are to achieve this you need to start building some type of base over the winter months.

Your goal seems very far away,why not aim for a sub 36-37 10 in March???

Then if it goes well aim for the sub 35 in April.

Maybe a good idea would be to type down your weekly schedule before the week starts and get some opinions from posters with some experience.

Hi thirstywork2, Totally agree my "training" is all over the place :o, so all advise would be welcome. I have a twelve week plan from Run Less Run Faster for the race in march, so I will be knuckling down to that mid January.

This week is a little unsual for me as the clubs I'd usually train with are closed for Xmas. A rough plan for the week, but this is at the mercy of weather and beer.
    Tomorrow: Yoga, Run
    Monday: Swim 2-3km,
    Tuesday: Run
    Wednesday: bike and swim drills and intervals
    Thursday: Run
    Friday: Bike or maybe a swim (not sure what day the gym closes)
    and a random bit of strenght training thrown in.

This is all pretty weak stuff, eg the bike will be just a spin around for an hour or two with no set speed etc planned.
    Your goal seems very far away,why not aim for a sub 36-37 10 in March???

Then if it goes well aim for the sub 35 in April.

Again I can't agree enough, at the moment my goals are out of sight, if by March I was close to a 36 min I would be very happy. I am honestly expecting that sub35 will take at least two 12 week training cycles and probably 3 and possible more.

The real test for all this talk ^^ will come some cold feb morning when there a hard session on the plan. ( I even have my doubts and I'm the one who is supposed to be doing it.)

• Advertisement

You can't just write RUN as you need to have a purpose to the run
    eg endurance,speed endurance,speed,intervals,tempo run ect ect

You can't just write RUN as you need to have a purpose to the run
    eg endurance,speed endurance,speed,intervals,tempo run ect ect

I suppose up to now I've just been your average lazy runner, happy to head out and do what ever I felt like. I do understand how important a proper plan is, following it will be the hard part.
    I need to put in a fast 5 km so I can pick the right sessions out of run less run faster, so that the plan for tonight, 2km warm up, easy pace, 5km all out, and 2km cool down.

I suppose up to now I've just been your average lazy runner, happy to head out and do what ever I felt like. I do understand how important a proper plan is, following it will be the hard part.
    I need to put in a fast 5 km so I can pick the right sessions out of run less run faster, so that the plan for tonight, 2km warm up, easy pace, 5km all out, and 2km cool down.

You'd be better off actually racing a 5k, you'll never go as fast on your own.

how did it go?

how did it go?

Something like this....

6533262955_f99544aaa0_z.jpg

On the plus side I manged to program my garmin with this session :).
    Warm up was too fast and didn't feel long enough (i'm still getting used to what all the different beeps mean), legs where heavy, I'd be lying if I said the 5km wasn't a struggle. 4:08/km. I've loads of excuses for why it is slower than I hoped but I won't waiste people's time, it is what it is. Set a new max heart rate of 184bpm, also looking at the data my fastest fast bit would just about get me sub35 for 10km.

For the record, weight in today, 68.5kg with a BMI of 23.74 this hasn't changed in the last two weeks which is good considering I'm eating everything I see.

Finally, yoga = frustration. At least today, couldn't hold any of my standing poses and one of my easy poses is only easy because I was doing it wrong.

The next three session look like this....

From Week 9 of First and based on 20:40 5km

Workout 1
    10-20min Warm Up
    200m in ??s with 200s Rest Interval
    400m in 90s with 400s Rest Interval
    600m in 137s with 400s Rest Interval
    800m in 184s with 400s Rest Interval
    800m in 184s with 400s Rest Interval
    600m in 137s with 400s Rest Interval
    400m in 90s with 400s Rest Interval
    200m in ??s
    10min Cool Down

Workout 2
    1 mile Warmup
    2 miles @ 6:54min/miles
    1 mile @ 8:31min/miles
    1 mile @ 6:54min/miles
    1 mile @ 8:31min/miles
    2 miles @ 6:54min/miles
    1 mile Cool Down

Workout 3
    9mile @ 7:26m/mile

I've been scratching my head for some where to run intervals as my town has no park and very little street lighting.
    So I had a brain wave last night about the retail park carpark. I'll measure it out tonight with my Garmin hopefully security don't mind/notice me doing laps :pac:.

You'd be better off actually racing a 5k, you'll never go as fast on your own.

I certainly hope so :pac:, I'll try and find a nice (flat) 5km race in the first of second week of jan be for I launch into the plan properly.

Today was a CX day, now the FIRST plan doesn't actually specify a cross training intensity but does give a sample week and some examples of different intensities :confused:. But I've taken it to mean train as hard as you can without scarificing your key running work outs. But if someone out there has a better handle on this part of the plan, please pipe up!

Swim
    1 km easy <30mins (I said easy)
    4 x 250m in 4:30 +/- 5sec

Fell of the healthy eating bandwaggon today with 2 slices of apple pie, I can not get over how much I'm eating these days, it's honestly like I never stop and I know there'll be a price to pay.

I certainly hope so :pac:, I'll try and find a nice (flat) 5km race in the first of second week of jan be for I launch into the plan properly.

Today was a CX day, now the FIRST plan doesn't actually specify a cross training intensity but does give a sample week and some examples of different intensities :confused:. But I've taken it to mean train as hard as you can without scarificing your key running work outs. But if someone out there has a better handle on this part of the plan, please pipe up!

Swim
    1 km easy <30mins (I said easy)
    4 x 250m in 4:30 +/- 5sec

Fell of the healthy eating bandwaggon today with 2 slices of apple pie, I can not get over how much I'm eating these days, it's honestly like I never stop and I know there'll be a price to pay.

There's one on New Year's Day in the Phoenix park!

Thanks Mr slow, I had hoped to kick of the plan on the 16th but I'll be way with work for a week at the end of january so I'll be starting on the 9th and the 1st is as good as any date to race so I'll be there.

Speaking of THE plan, we had rain here tonight so I had to head to gym so no data to post. I did Workout 2 and I remember thinking to myself a sure that looks too easy, I was actually thinking I'd be in and out in half an hour. Well 1:20mins I was still going :eek:. I haven't run for that length of time in at least 5 years.
    1.5km wo / 1.5km @ 11km/hr / 3.5km @ 14km/hr / 1.5 @11km/hr / 3.5km @ 14km/hr / 1.5km cd. all at 1% gradient.

This remains me that you can't put time into a treadmill that you have to specify a speed and even worse my gym's treadmills are km so had to do the conversion on the fly so the speeds are a little out 11km/hr should have been 11.5km/hr

Overall this was a nice session right in the goldilocks zone, not too hard not too easy, although I was sweating so hard I thought the threadmill might short out. I can see these being a nice challage on the roads with hills and wind etc.

6549144783_40cdf3fba4_z.jpg

I got up late this morning and to my disappointment it was near perfect cycling weather :(. So I duely dug out my bike, put some (alot) of air in the tyres and headed out for what I was sure to be a slow torture.
    To my suprise this turned out to be a very enjoyable spin, 40km in 1:35hr at 25km/hr and ave hr of 139bpm. The big dip in the middle of the graph is me doing a little be of exploring around a ghost estate, they really are erie places, big fully detached houses bouarded up with a derelict hotel/hospital/school:confused: for company.

I'm really happy I got this session in today as the rest of the week will be a write off/hangover.

Feck, justed noticed a swim on the list for today, where do I get these crazy notions :confused:

• Advertisement

[URL="http://www.flickr.comPo
    /photos/71887845@N03/6549144783/"]6549144783_40cdf3fba4_z.jpg[/URL]

I got up late this morning and to my disappointment it was near perfect cycling weather :(. So I duely dug out my bike, put some (alot) of air in the tyres and headed out for what I was sure to be a slow torture.
    To my suprise this turned out to be a very enjoyable spin, 40km in 1:35hr at 25km/hr and ave hr of 139bpm. The big dip in the middle of the graph is me doing a little be of exploring around a ghost estate, they really are erie places, big fully detached houses bouarded up with a derelict hotel/hospital/school:confused: for company.

I'm really happy I got this session in today as the rest of the week will be a write off/hangover.

[COLOR="Silver"]Feck, justed noticed a swim on the list for today, where do I get these crazy notions [/COLOR]:confused:

Ok did the swim, 1km <20 min, 500m of drills and 2x250m repeats, roughly an hour total. I am totall y wrecked, that's only 2.5hr of easy training, what will it be like at 3.5 hr of hard training...... I think I seriously need to revise my plans.

6559654863_a3a3c96060_z.jpg

Glad I got out today, I'm so much happier to be out running than shopping with all the crazies in town :), Accuweather told me I had a three hour window and it was spot on. Took the car (don't like doing this/polution) over to the north slobs and did my 14.5km @ 5:15 pace. This was very awkard, My legs where never happy with this half jog pace. It is only now that I'm home that I realised I stuff up the pace as it should have been 4:40 :mad:. Anyway Looking at graph my pace was all over the place but from checking my watch on the run it neve strayed more than 5 sec from the 5:15 :confused::confused:. HR for this run was 155bpm versus 139 on the bike yesterday, just shows how piss easy cycling is :pac:.

Plan for the next couple days, cycle/run/cyle/run as the pool is closed, I'll be doing my first set of intervals on Xmas day.

No running, cycling or swimming today, weather was cat so I'm pleading the 5th.
    Since I was stuck in the house I did some "lifting" (read, move some small weights aroud badly)
    5 65kg shoulder presses (these where harder than they where last week)
    5 65kg squats
    5 65kg calf raises
    5 65kg rows
    5 BW dips
    5 chin ups
    10 press ups
    10 arm blances

This is completely random and bears no relation to form or fuction :rolleyes:.

In other new I spend a good 2 hours googling recovery nutrition and after wading through lots of stuff I've asseblied the following rules
    magic 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein,
    approximately 0.5g/kg of carbs
    so for me that's ~30g of carbs and 7.5g of protein. This looks like a bananna and some almonds :confused:.

Finally for here on I'll be starting/finishing each session with 3+ sun salutations, and once I've got the good habit, I'll build in some more poses/stretches.

If all this doesn't make me faster than superman by March, I'll want my money back :pac:.

Happy Xmas every one.

No running, cycling or swimming today, weather was cat so I'm pleading the 5th.

You do realise there'll be weather on the day of your target race?

You do realise there'll be weather on the day of your target race?

Bahumbug and happy new year to you too :pac:.

Training today was horrible, it was suppose to be intervals and I did try to program my garmin with intervals, but the I can't make it display time so I know I ran the correct distances but I've no idea if I had the right times :confused::mad::o.

On the plus side, I did cover 14km, all my stretches and eat my recovery foods (sounds better this way) so 6/10 for effort.

Anyway I'm off to ach infront of the tv.

6569681899_f7b73ba1af_z.jpg

6575377641_45d6b9208e_z.jpg

Man! this was a slog, 39km + change, 1:28hr, 143HR, lots of little hills and a sh*t load of wind, not exactly what I would call an easy day but it was this or freeze to death on the bike.

The plan for the rest of the week is to repeat the long run from last week at the right pace and to also redo the intervals with some timing and go racing on the first.

Food wise I'm making a batch of Three-bean lentil soup, I'll let you know what it tastes like tomorrow.
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/three_bean_lentil_soup.php

6583703399_1e20a4a8ea_z.jpg

15km @ 4:40/km, plot looks much cleaner than usual :).

Also jumped in the pool today 1km in 21min very easy and couple of 100m drills.

I'm beginning to get that over cooked under done feeling, that you get from doing too much too soon, so I'm going to back off on the cross training.

Food wise I'm making a batch of Three-bean lentil soup, I'll let you know what it tastes like tomorrow.
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/three_bean_lentil_soup.php

This is actually really nice, I made 7 litre so I'm really glad it's edible :pac:.

Tomorrow it's going to be fishcakes, made with sweet potatoe and broccoli, this is my own invention, so I have no idea what it'll turn out like.

Finally inspirational cheese Alert! !! :pac:

6583843155_6268793c90_z.jpg

No training or cooking today, I've been catching mini pucks all day and I can't get warm....I think it may be terminal. [sobs]

I've realised I've done something even more stupid with the plan http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/10K%20Training%20Program-metric.pdf
    See where it says RI400 in the interval etc I was taking this to be 400sec ie 6:40 :eek:, and what's worse I was even bitching to myself during my last interval session about how rediculous it was and it would only work in warm climates etc etc, :o they mean meters not seconds :o:o:o [self-faceplant]. The good side of this is my interval session tomorrow will be much quicker :).

In other breaking news; I saw a cyclist today [very rare event around these parts] so if you were that woman pounding up the bypass, well done and keep it up :).

Shoot forgot to add weight this morning 67kg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Best of luck with the log! a sub 35 min 10k is fast going!

I've heard about the FIRST program but never tried it. It sounds like something that might suit me as I'm busy from now until summer. Anyway, best of luck :)

Advertisement