Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi,

My bike was stolen from the bike rack directly outside Fresh supermarket at Grand Canal Square.

Here's a picture of the bike. It had mudgaurds and lights fitted, as well as a pump attached to the vertical frame.

0580.jpg

The bike had a high quality Abus lock fitted (€100) but I have no idea how he got it off as it wasn't left behind and he definitely didn't use heavy machinery to cut it off.

I have no seen this model of bike anywhere else in the city so I gather it's unusual enough. If you see this type of bike anywhere, please send me a PM!

Thanks,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Is it ok to post pictures if face pixilation is used like they do in the papers?

Who%20s%20in%20the%20dock.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it ok to post pictures if face pixilation is used like they do in the papers?

Who%20s%20in%20the%20dock.jpg
    Sorry, but not even pixilated/blurred pictures are allowed.

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi,

My daughter had her bike stolen a few weeks ago in Rathmines.

Please PM me if you see it anywhere ..

It is a Giant MTX 225 with 24" wheels, identical to the picture.

I don't think that particular model was sold here, as this bike was brought back from Australia, so it would be quite unusual ..

Cheers,

Bob

bicycle_2224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

hi folks, my mates bike was lifted from outside his house yesterday, said I'd put a post up here for him. taken from just off rochestown avenue.

It was green white and black, carera vengence. MTB from halfords about a year ago. Has hydraulic disc brakes, paddle gears, no quick release saddle but quick wheels.

If seen for sale etc please let me know!
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I suggest you contact Mikes bikes in Dun Laoghaire, PH.2842462,mail mikesbikes@live.ie I worked there until a couple of months ago and we recovered a lot of stolen bikes from junkies over the years,I've been told I'd be stabbed many times over it, haha.
    Ask for Simon or Ed(lil neddy) tell them Bosco told you to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

Hi All,

My Cube racer (about a year and a half old) was stolen near the liffey end of capel st. today. It looks very much like this but with black & blue thread tyres and a frayed back gear cable. If anyone gets offered this bike or indeed sees it for sale anywhere can they PM me please. I already miss it like I would miss a limb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭sgriffin

better post this in the stolen bike thread or it will be closed, i will keep an eye out work in a bike shop and get them in quite often.

shane

• Registered Users Posts: 5 anTuasal

Folks,

I'm looking for a bit of help from the more eagle-eyed boardmembers ...

I had a bike lifted from the railings along the dodder outside the Ballsbridge side of the Herbert Park Hotel in Dublin 4 yesterday (30/04/11) while I was off watching Leinster beat Toulouse :mad: .

The bike was taken between 14:45 & 15:00 and the b*stards took my helmet which was locked to the bike.

The bike was my daily commuter and is a fairly rare one because it has an extra large 60" frame.

Make: Specialized
    Type: Sirrus Sport
    Colour: White

A couple of distinguishing points .. curved top tube, yellow sticker for Stagg Cycles on down tube.

Please see pictures I took about a year ago ... since then I fitted, Continental Gatorskin tyres, full length silver mudgards, wireless bike computer & 2 bottle cages (display unit of the bike computer was not on the bike when stolen).

If anyone spots it around town I would be grateful if you could post a photo (if possible) and when & where it was spotted or if you could drop me a PM I'll keep the gardai posted.

I'm going to try to recover the bike :cool: so keep an eye on this post on the board for my diary .... if it turns up will celebrate with a few virtual beers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers,

PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 findmybike

My new Giant Defy 4 was stolen in Dublin 8 last night. It's the second time I've had a new bike stolen in 5 months, despite two expensive locks and keeping it at home 90% of the time. Am so bummed, can you take a look at the details below and pm if you have any ideas of where to look....

Frame size: Large (55.5cm)
    Distinguishing features: Its got a pannier rack (black), no lights or mudguards.
    It also has a black/grey bbb saddle bag, which I'm sure has been removed!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Here's my Trek 1.2 that was stolen two months ago. The spec is slightly diffferent to the pic and these differences probably make it unique in Dublin.

Please note them and look hard at every 1.2 you see.
    Non-standard features:
    1. It's got an aluminium seatpost instead of the standard carbon jobby.
    2. The Bontrager wheels were replaced with Shimano RS10s. They're a sharp looking if slightly heavy budget wheel that never came standard on this bike.
    3. The bar ends were finished with chrome look plastic plugs. One was Specialized and the other was BBB I think. Anyway, they were different brands, that's the point.
    4. The bar tape was held in place by red insulating tape. Again this is quite distinctive for the model.
    5. The front tyre was a Schwalbe Stelvio and the rear was a Continental (I think)
      1. Finally the graphic on the top tube was slightly worn where the knees would touch it. The red part of the graphic in particular was worn away.
      2. Oh ya, at the time of theft it needed a new BB

Please note that there was no seatpost mounted carrier on the back so please ignore it.
    I know this bike is still in Dublin so please, please keep an eye out. It was stolen near Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cub01

Stolen 2 weeks ago (North County Dublin area). Pretty much brand new and hadnt been used yet on road. Was rigged up to turbo trainer and had an orange training tyre on.

Link to Scott website below is the bike - exactly same colours.

Its reported to Gardai but no luck yet.

Any help appreciated - PM me if any info.

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10054/55761/218126

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

anTuasal wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm looking for a bit of help from the more eagle-eyed boardmembers ...

I had a bike lifted from the railings along the dodder outside the Ballsbridge side of the Herbert Park Hotel in Dublin 4 yesterday (30/04/11) while I was off watching Leinster beat Toulouse :mad: .

The bike was taken between 14:45 & 15:00 and the b*stards took my helmet which was locked to the bike.

The bike was my daily commuter and is a fairly rare one because it has an extra large 60" frame.

Make: Specialized
    Type: Sirrus Sport
    Colour: White

A couple of distinguishing points .. curved top tube, yellow sticker for Stagg Cycles on down tube.

Please see pictures I took about a year ago ... since then I fitted, Continental Gatorskin tyres, full length silver mudgards, wireless bike computer & 2 bottle cages (display unit of the bike computer was not on the bike when stolen).

If anyone spots it around town I would be grateful if you could post a photo (if possible) and when & where it was spotted or if you could drop me a PM I'll keep the gardai posted.

I'm going to try to recover the bike :cool: so keep an eye on this post on the board for my diary .... if it turns up will celebrate with a few virtual beers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers,

PC
    Long shot here but the hotel staff snip locks on bikes chained to the railings and stores them downstairs (there's a small sign saying bikes will be removed), head into reception and see if they snipped yours.

Edit, if it was the railings along the river it could be a veeeery long shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Loinser

My Ridgeback Flight 01 (2005 Model) was stolen in Ashtown on 30th April, it has metallic blue handlebars which were bought seperately and are unusual looking as well as brand new Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur and red+black Armadillo tyres, if anyone has seen it around let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Very sorry to hear that - glad someone got arrested.

My wife's bike was stolen from an underground carpark in our apartment block a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they got in and had a bit of a free for all in there - loads of locks cut around the place now.

She hasn't had any help from the management company (they have camera's dotted around the place) and she has had no joy in getting in contact with the garda dealing with the case.

Hope you have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Hi All,
    Friday the 13th stuck last night.
    I had my 3 bikes stolen off my 1st floor balcony.
    Neighbour seen it at 2.30am, rang Garda, got one bike back and arrested one guy. Going to press charges. Found bolt cutter down below at the scene.
    Will know more when the arresting garda is back on duty tonight.

Missing is a Focus Superbud double suspension MB. Predometly red with some black and white forks.

Also a Blue Claude Butler racer. Probably worth feck all but the one of the 2 missing I can't replace. Alot of fond memories on this beauty, my first +200km, first tri, College commuting. Devo over her. RIP Old Bluey

No house insurance as renting and never got around to getting contents only. Yes I know I am an idiot.

Any info or sightings I would be very grateful.

Things to learn for all, The bigger the better on the lock, Scum can climb and if your renting make sure your contents are covered under your lanlords insurance or get your own.

How did they get them down? Did they lower them somehow or just drop them?
    Not sure at all. They would give me my bike in the station this morning so I couldn't tell if there was much damage

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jmcmen wrote: »
    if your renting make sure your contents are covered under your lanlords insurance
    Just to highlight, your landlord's insurance cannot cover your possessions unless your landlord is also a member of your immediate family. As a renter, if you do not have contents insurance, then your possessions are not insured.

Also, if you are housesharing each renter should have their own policy as nobody else's policy can cover your stuff.

For bikes specifically, ring your insurer to make sure that they're covered if you're leaving them outside on a balcony.

Sorry to hear about your bikes. Hopefully as they've caught them so quickly, they may be able to find out where the other two went. Whereabouts did this happen?

Keedowah wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that - glad someone got arrested.

My wife's bike was stolen from an underground carpark in our apartment block a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they got in and had a bit of a free for all in there - loads of locks cut around the place now.

She hasn't had any help from the management company (they have camera's dotted around the place) and she has had no joy in getting in contact with the garda dealing with the case.

Hope you have better luck.

Ah thats a pity to hear, The garda was very helpful this morning I must say. Hopefully should find out more this evening.

Seamus,
    It happened in the Phoenix Park Racecourse.

They had a few bikes up in Blanch garda station that they have recovered to anyone else that has had one stolen recently.

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Ah thats a pity to hear, The garda was very helpful this morning I must say. Hopefully should find out more this evening.

Seamus,
    It happened in the Phoenix Park Racecourse.

They had a few bikes up in Blanch garda station that they have recovered to anyone else that has had one stolen recently.

Got another bike back!!! The Claude Butler. Still down my MB which is a stinker but could have been way worse.

The lads were up in Court last Friday morning. There was a stuggle and one bite one of the arresting Garda.

So please keep a look out for the MB if you would. Its fairly distinctive and I have only seen one other about. They also took the saddle bag, cross bar bag and pump off my main racer which was is strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cupidstuntII

I had my bicycle stolen from Castleknock Train station today (16/05/2011).

It was locked up at the bicycle stand to the back of the station (before 8am and gone when I got back from work after 6pm).

Make: Fuji
    Model: Sagres.
    (Example picture attached).

Distinguishing features:
    Handlebar extensions (black).
    Mudguards: Front & Rear.
    Wired for speedometer (sensor and magnet still attached).
    Front light dock (centre of stem)
    Lock (Example picture attached).

Just in case anyone comes across the bike or is offered to buy, please keep an eye out! I've been searching adverts.ie, gumtree, donedeal and buy and sell.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 milju2001

8295-61_Sirrus_black_l.jpg&equipmodel=Sirrus

bike stolen afternoon of tuesday may 17th around 4pm from the top of dawson street in dublin city centre by st. stephen's green.

would appreciate anyone seeing it or being offered it for sale, to contact me asap.

specialized sirrus 2009

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/...009&spid=38462

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/...ipmodel=Sirrus

it's distinctive as pictured. additions include a cateye rear light on the seat tube (still attached) and a mount on the handlebars (light was not attached at the time). also silver specialized bar ends have been added to the handlebars and the bike has black mudguards. the wheels are alex S500 and the tyres are Continental.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Giant SCR 4 (2008) taken from locked shed. I'd only just put on new casette (11-34 SRAM), chain , chainrings, tyres (vittorio rubino) , brake blocks & rear derailleur.

It's the standard grey/black/white one you see around

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/1399/29642/

Distingushing features. Ritchie's sticker, red race sticker on top tube, altura tool bag, shimano pedals instead of the original.

Any spots it, I'd be grateful for a PM

NMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I am renting. I lock my bike in a shed at the back of the apartment block. The shed has a 4 digit code and the bike is locked with the New York lock.

What options for insuring the bike are available? Can I get contents only insurance? Will that cover the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Sorry to hear all these bad stories guys. I'll keep an eye out for them. My brother gets the train to work every day from D15 and afew weeks ago he spotted two lads checking out locked bikes at each station. The lads were sitting in front of him on the train. Anyway they had a bolt cutters hidden under their seat so at his stop he reached down and slipped the cutters into his newspaper and walked away. At least they couldn't rob any more bikes that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

not sure if this has been posted anywhere before, but the garda website has a link to stolen recovered bikes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lennymc wrote: »
    not sure if this has been posted anywhere before, but the garda website has a link to stolen recovered bikes:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/
    We did have another thread on it a while ago, but it's a good idea to link it here also. I've updated the OP as well.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ Frankie Rancid Balloonist

Hey Guys, this bike, except with a red fulcrum racing 7 rear wheel, and a Shimano Sora rear derailleur, got stolen from the dundrum luas stop between 9pm and 3am yesterday / today.

F_art62_Memo2_1.jpg

Just a heads up, if any of you guys spot it for sale, maybe you could give me a heads up on this thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Malenfant

Hello Guys,
    this night sombody (probably more a goup of people) climbed over our 3m (!!!) high backyard-wall at North Strand/North Strand Road took our 2 Bikes and left again over the wall. The Scott bike was put together by myself after pretty much the same Bike has been stolen from the backyard of my old apartment (just 6 months ago).
    If you spot one of the two biles please let me know, or directly call the garda. I would pay 300€ reward for the Scott Sub20. If you have any other informations please let me know.

SCOTT SUB20
    159697.jpg

159696.jpg

I´m sorry I only have these two pretty bad pictures of the bike.

Details about the bike:

It´s Singlespeed, quite an eyecatcher is the red-wheeled tensioner.
    Fork: Rock Shoxx Reba SL
    Wheelset: Fun Works N-Light
    Cranks: Alfine
    Tires: Slicks - Schwalbe Kojak
    Frontbreak: Avid Juicy 3
    No rear break.

---
    Diamond Back NEX Hybrid
    159695.jpg
    Details about the bike:
    The color is more greenish, I couldn´t get the tones right on this shot.
    It has a Shimano Nexus group on it.
    An abus U-Lock was on it as it was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anuser

* Black Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Really good condition; standard apart from Black Atomlab Flat Pedals and different Specialized seat; 17" frame.
    Looks like this http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...t:429,r:15,s:0

* Grey/Charcoal Giant Boulder Rock
    Everything but frame modified from standard
    White Halo wheels,
    White DMR V8 pedals,
    Short white stem with Cane Creek headset,
    Blue Blackspire chainring,
    Shimano XT cassette,
    Shimano XT shadow rear derailleur,
    FSA cranks
    21" frame;

Please PM if you have ANY info or sightings.

Thanks.

Advertisement