Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clearing Customs Immigration at Terminal 2

Options
  • 25-03-2011 1:28pm

Hi,
    travelling to US very soon, just wondered what peoples experiences of the new procedures for clearing US customs and Immigration at Dublin Airport., Terminal 2
    ANy tips or advice. ALso wondered has it really cut down on queues? How long does it take to clear, few minutes or 10-15? Also does it really mean you dont have any queuing when you arrive in US?
    Kind of sounds to good to be true.

Any tips would be appreciated, its been a long while since Ive been through it :)

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

+1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I haven't done it myself but my parents came through it on their way to visit me in January. Biggest benefit for those with connections is that as you clear customs in Dublin so your bags can get checked straight through to your final destination. They also landed in the domestic terminal in Philadelphia which meant a short stroll to their connecting gate rather than changing terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I went through it in February for a trip to Atlanta and then onto Dallas.

I had a disaster of a time because my friend who went to the Homeland Security Officer before me was a complete retard and mentioned something I told him not to.

When I (and the family member with me) then went to the same Officer. WE were interogated for 25minutes and had to show an awful lot of documentation and answer 4 similar questions about 50 times. Really didn't think I would be approved entry. But did in the end. Thankfully.

But other people seemed to get through just fine (once you have a return flight booked).

Basically just don't bring a retard friend with you to fnuck up your entry and you will be fine, lol :)

EDIT - queuing was cut down a fair bit. There were 4 officers on duty the morning I went. 3 for International Travellers and 1 for USA Citizens.

we arrived in Atlanta, got a connecting flight domestically for DFW and did not have to do any waiting or queuing or checking documents in either Atlanta or Dallas. It was a complete breeze once we went through customs.

In Dublin, you will need to put your hand luggage and boots through another scanner and you will also have to clear another body scanner once you pass customs. So that's twice getting all your metals off :) that's the only real inconvenience. It's a much better and quicker system in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

I done this in March and I have to say I prefer the old way. Our flight was an 8am flight to Newark, we arrived at the airport at 5:15am and we queued the entire time we were there. We flew on Paddy’s day so that might have added to the problem

First we had to queue trough the initial security checks. Then go straight to the U.S Immigration, where we queued for over an hour. There were only 4 officials on, 2 reserved for US passengers and 2 for the rest.

All it takes is for 1 official to have to accompany a passenger into the back and the process is slowed substantially. This seemed to happen a lot when they showed the passengers their bags (lots of people getting pics of the wrong bag). After that we had to go trough another security clearance which I thought was a bit redundant.

Having flown to the US numerous times before (always leaving from T1) I have to say I found it stressful and exhausting, I literally queued from the moment I got in to the moment I got trough the second security check, and just made it with 20 mins to spare.No brousing no getting a bite to eat, just queueing.

I overheard a guy complain that he missed his flight cause of the delay at immigration.

When you land its excellent just grab your bag and go, but I would make sure they leave enough time to clear it all

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im bloody dreading it to be honest. All the queues and questions, and I saw somewhere else they take fingerprints .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

hey, i had to go through customs about 2 weeks ago, it was my second time ever going through us customs, the first being 6 days previously in toronto, as i was getting a connecting flight in philadelphia,toronto was a total nightmare, the us customs guy gave me such a hard time,just rude really! on the way home from dublin i obviously felt nervous about going through again after my previous ordeal, but honestly, its fine, theyr so much nicer, they ask you the usual questions, take your prints and an eye scan (which is done for everyone) its just a little scanner tht they have, its not big deal at all, takes 2 seconds, the only thing was, i was queuing for an hour...i had arrived at the airport 2 hours early, and was cutting it fine, there was no queue for checkin so i literally checked in, they took my bag, and i went straight to the security check, i felt like i was queuing the entire time, dont get caught up in duty free, get what you need quickly and head straight to us customs, it was last call for my flight when i was finally seen, there was a lady calling out the flights though, and letting them go ahead, so i dont think missing your flight should be a prob, so my advice is, dont worry, the customs part is fine, just be early! its definitely convenient for connecting flights as my connection time was quite short in philadelphia, i think i would have been in a panic knowing i had to get through customs in the US, if i had another flight to catch, it gets it done and out of the way which is good, you can just relax on your flight then, so dont be worrying! just look forward to your trip, and have a great time :)

amber23 wrote: »
    hey, i had to go through customs about 2 weeks ago, it was my second time ever going through us customs, the first being 6 days previously in toronto, as i was getting a connecting flight in philadelphia,toronto was a total nightmare, the us customs guy gave me such a hard time,just rude really! on the way home from dublin i obviously felt nervous about going through again after my previous ordeal, but honestly, its fine, theyr so much nicer, they ask you the usual questions, take your prints and an eye scan (which is done for everyone) its just a little scanner tht they have, its not big deal at all, takes 2 seconds, the only thing was, i was queuing for an hour...i had arrived at the airport 2 hours early, and was cutting it fine, there was no queue for checkin so i literally checked in, they took my bag, and i went straight to the security check, i felt like i was queuing the entire time, dont get caught up in duty free, get what you need quickly and head straight to us customs, it was last call for my flight when i was finally seen, there was a lady calling out the flights though, and letting them go ahead, so i dont think missing your flight should be a prob, so my advice is, dont worry, the customs part is fine, just be early! its definitely convenient for connecting flights as my connection time was quite short in philadelphia, i think i would have been in a panic knowing i had to get through customs in the US, if i had another flight to catch, it gets it done and out of the way which is good, you can just relax on your flight then, so dont be worrying! just look forward to your trip, and have a great time :)

Ill try to enjoy :) Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Jake,
    Basically, while in Ireland, they do not want anything uncooked on your person while clearing the US Immigration and Customs: no apples, no ham sandwiches, no lettuce, ...

Once you land in the US, that's it. You so walk into a controlled area. People in this area have already been scanned and checked. You will be free to walk out and collect your bags.

Actually, if someone is picking you up they could get your bags for you, at least in EWR. The bags go out onto the roundabout as if you just arrived from Chicago.

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

I've never been through us customs before and just reading through a few of the replies its made me slightly nervous about it.
    How long was the questioning aside from the queue and what type of questions were you asked?

they were very basic questions, your name, is this your first passport, did anyone ask you to buy anything for them in the states, why you going to the states, theyr all questions that you'll be more than able to answer unless you're trying to get there illegally! just make sure your form is filled out correctly, they'll read it, ask for your prints on the scanner, and apart from the questions that will be it!

• Advertisement

amber23 wrote: »
    they were very basic questions, your name, is this your first passport, did anyone ask you to buy anything for them in the states, why you going to the states, theyr all questions that you'll be more than able to answer unless you're trying to get there illegally! just make sure your form is filled out correctly, they'll read it, ask for your prints on the scanner, and apart from the questions that will be it!

What form Amber? Do I get it at airport?
    Thanks

FISMA wrote: »
    Jake,
    Basically, while in Ireland, they do not want anything uncooked on your person while clearing the US Immigration and Customs: no apples, no ham sandwiches, no lettuce, ...

Once you land in the US, that's it. You so walk into a controlled area. People in this area have already been scanned and checked. You will be free to walk out and collect your bags.

Actually, if someone is picking you up they could get your bags for you, at least in EWR. The bags go out onto the roundabout as if you just arrived from Chicago.

Slan.

Nice one :) Im actually going on to Orlando. I have about two hours between connecting flight to Orlando, do you reckon this will be enough? Im thinking it should, since I'll have already cleared customs/immigration in Dublin.

( I feel like its my 1st trip abroad... :o:o)

Jake1 wrote: »
    Nice one :) Im actually going on to Orlando. I have about two hours between connecting flight to Orlando, do you reckon this will be enough? Im thinking it should, since I'll have already cleared customs/immigration in Dublin.

it'll be plenty of time! you literally might just have to walk to the next terminal or it could even be the same one, when i connected in philadelphia, i literally hopped on a little shuttle bus, took me about 15mins to get to the next terminal, obviously philadelphia isnt that big an airport compared to others but theyr very well organised!

when you check in they will give you a form to fill in, just asking your name, DOB, passport number, it will say address when landing in america, where were you previous to your flight, and then just the amount on goods that you're carrying, which will probably be nothing anyway, so thats it really, its pretty simple, just dont leave anything blank! its all good :)

Jake,
    What is your connecting airport? EWR or JFK?

If you were flying to ORD, I might be concerned, but two hours should be more than enough.

At worst, a fly around the airport will use about 45minutes. But with 2 hours you should have no trouble. You won't even have to collect your bags - will you? I do not honestly know. If you do have to collect your bags then you will have to check in.

Just don't go wandering too far. Unless you have to, don't wander outside of the secured area - which is probably bigger than most airports themselves.

I bet you'll be sitting around bored out of your mind wishing you were already in Florida!

Slan

Bring sunblock! Zinc oxide works great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I Just arrived at terminal 2 yesterday went into customs, all they did was check the letter of introduction, they never asked about medical insurance or anything, was the easiest and most simple process i have done yet!

And i was also on a one way ticket so i had no hassle what so ever, i told them i was over on a work visa, here was my letter, printed the visa out said best of luck and have a great time in canada!! i said thank eh and went off!!

See you all and best of luck!! its 4 degrees, sunny and comparing to irish weather its about a 10 to 12 degree feeling, they think its cold, but i think its quite warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Going to NY on Thursday. Is the recommended 3 hours needed here or can I do my usual 2-2.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 herny

FISMA wrote: »
    Jake,

Slan.
    does this mean you cant bring your own sandwiches/food onto the flight, like cheese sandwiches from the restaurant in dublin airport....have folks flying with me who are fussy about airplane food, or is there somewhere you can buy after clearing customs in dublin

Going to NY on Thursday. Is the recommended 3 hours needed here or can I do my usual 2-2.5?

I have found that two is fine.
    herny wrote: »
    does this mean you cant bring your own sandwiches/food onto the flight, like cheese sandwiches from the restaurant in dublin airport....have folks flying with me who are fussy about airplane food, or is there somewhere you can buy after clearing customs in dublin

Hmm, not sure about Dublin.

There's a lovely lady with a beagle that will great you at SNN after immigration and customs. The beagle is looking for uncooked meats, fruits, and vegetables so yes, they will be taken off of you it you happen to make it that far.

There is a shop in this area, however, I do not know if they sell sandwiches - ones you would like to eat at that. They have soda, candy, and the usual. I doubt sandwiches.

Best eat something good before you get on the plane.

By the way if you all have not heard, you should ALWAYS eat a package of blueberries before you get on the plane and after you arrive - especially for the long hauls. The anti-oxidants, natural sugars, and all really help prevent jet lag.

Slan
    blueBerryPack6.jpg

Seriously, you can't bring your own food onto a US flight, I'm flying at the weekend with 4 in tow and I'm bringing my own food, try keeping them fed on airplane food for that journey, not a hope!!
    Can someone please confirm that food (bread/cheese/liga) will not be allowed on board (cabin luggage)
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29 herny

slave1 wrote: »
    Seriously, you can't bring your own food onto a US flight, I'm flying at the weekend with 4 in tow and I'm bringing my own food, try keeping them fed on airplane food for that journey, not a hope!!
    Can someone please confirm that food (bread/cheese/liga) will not be allowed on board (cabin luggage)
    Cheers

from reading above it looks like you cant, unless you buy after the customs piece...but the story was for shannon, wonder what it is like in dublin, is there a cafe/shop after US customers in dublin???, what facilities are there??

• Advertisement

Cheers

Slave1,
    I think, but do not quote me, that you will allowed to bring cheese.

The last time I was going through the carry on bag scans I specifically asked about cheese. I had purchased some great cheese at the market in Cork city and wanted to bring it back to the US.

I was concerned that they would take it off of me because of the policy on pastes and such. I asked and the Guard told me that it was okay.

If I were you, I would call and check.
    herny wrote: »
    from reading above it looks like you cant, unless you buy after the customs piece...but the story was for shannon, wonder what it is like in dublin, is there a cafe/shop after US customers in dublin???, what facilities are there??

The policy is US and not SNN so I imagine it is the same no matter where you fly out of Ireland.

All,
    You should call and check. The general rule is that if it is uncooked - NO...

With that said, I am sure there are plenty of meats that have been cooked and are not allowed.

Also, they don't want you bringing anything like turf! No soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Give yourself over 3 hours.

It took me over 2 hours to get through immigration in terminal 2 about 2 weeks ago.

Lots of people on the earlier Atlanta flight missed their flight.

Go directly to US immigration once through security (as I was directed to do by security staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

ANy tips or advice. ALso wondered has it really cut down on queues? How long does it take to clear, few minutes or 10-15? Also does it really mean you dont have any queuing when you arrive in US?
    :)

Many thanks.

More like 2 hours plus!

Go directly to US immigration when through security.

Just back from my trip. Give yourself as much time as possible. Seriously.

I arrived at check in in plenty of time, handed in my passport, lady behind desk says, 'emmm your esta is not approved' . I said, 'yes it is, I got approval online' , 'No it isnt' she said, so thinking im very clever,I pull the print out of ESTA approval from my bag to show her. 'Dosen't mtter she said, its NOT approved, you'll have to do it again, and hope you get it cleared before flight. So I go off to a computer, and log on to do it again, same thing shows up, Im approved, so I print it out, run back to desk, she trys again, then says NOPE, not approved, Im like WTF???
    Turns out, one of the digits I put in was a number instead of letter. I put in Pee Zero, but I should have put Pee O( letter). The lads at Dublin airport couldnt have been nicer or more helpful. I missed my original flight, they got me on the next one. They said I wasnt the first, nor will I be the last. They said people had problems every single day with it.

So just be careful folks you enter the right letter. wasnt my fault as it looked exactly as I put it in, I guess I just coulnt distinguish the two, looked exactly the same.

On another note, the TSA in are bast****. Need a damn good lesson in manners. Mostly black and mexicans, drunk on the power of their badges, grunting and shouting at people. One fella yells at a lady sitting beside me putting on her shoes after the scanner' I need that chair, you'll have to move' he was as rude as be damned. They dont say thanks, hello, nothing, just grunt and try to intimidate you. They could take lessons from the staff I encountered at Dublin Airport, who bent over backwards helping me.
    Funny thing is, they say its in the name of Freedom.Pity the fools, they lost their freedom long ago.
    Also, my bag was torn open by TSA.
    Just for the record, Im a mother of two, from Dublin, not a terrorist. I dont fit any profile of terrorist, so why they tear my bag open is beyond me.

Anyway, rant over.
    Enjoy your trip. LOL.

Hmmm, sorry to hear that, manners should be expected...

Regarding food I ended up phone AL and the lady said no food of any description even if bought after security which sounds crazy so I asked her was it the same for European flights and she confirmed it was, now I know that's a load of cak as I've often taken food on board.
    Bottom line is my daughter has a peanut allergy and upon enquiry (and on the AL website) AL cannot guarantee peanut free food so I have to take food on board because I cannot expect to starve my family for the duration of a trans-Atlantic flight, getting a doctor's letter just to be sure.
    Just hope I don't encounter a rude American with a power trip like the previous poster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Just back from my trip. Give yourself as much time as possible. Seriously.

I arrived at check in in plenty of time, handed in my passport, lady behind desk says, 'emmm your esta is not approved' . I said, 'yes it is, I got approval online' , 'No it isnt' she said, so thinking im very clever,I pull the print out of ESTA approval from my bag to show her. 'Dosen't mtter she said, its NOT approved, you'll have to do it again, and hope you get it cleared before flight. So I go off to a computer, and log on to do it again, same thing shows up, Im approved, so I print it out, run back to desk, she trys again, then says NOPE, not approved, Im like WTF???
    Turns out, one of the digits I put in was a number instead of letter. I put in Pee Zero, but I should have put Pee O( letter). The lads at Dublin airport couldnt have been nicer or more helpful. I missed my original flight, they got me on the next one. They said I wasnt the first, nor will I be the last. They said people had problems every single day with it.

So just be careful folks you enter the right letter. wasnt my fault as it looked exactly as I put it in, I guess I just coulnt distinguish the two, looked exactly the same.

On another note, the TSA in are bast****. Need a damn good lesson in manners. Mostly black and mexicans, drunk on the power of their badges, grunting and shouting at people. One fella yells at a lady sitting beside me putting on her shoes after the scanner' I need that chair, you'll have to move' he was as rude as be damned. They dont say thanks, hello, nothing, just grunt and try to intimidate you. They could take lessons from the staff I encountered at Dublin Airport, who bent over backwards helping me.
    Funny thing is, they say its in the name of Freedom.Pity the fools, they lost their freedom long ago.
    Also, my bag was torn open by TSA.
    Just for the record, Im a mother of two, from Dublin, not a terrorist. I dont fit any profile of terrorist, so why they tear my bag open is beyond me.

Anyway, rant over.
    Enjoy your trip. LOL.

What's that got to do with anything? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Dont know about Dublin but i went through them the last couple times in Shannon got through in less the ten minutes. Then only a 1 hr wait for my connecting flight out of EWR. Its much faster then having to clear them in the US.

Cheers

Hi, theres a piece on the TSA website regarding travelling with small infants, might be of use to you regarding the Liga :)

Also, you can buy some food after going through secuity. I bought sandwiches and crisps and orange juice for my flight over

www.tsa.gov

heres a video, regarding how the TSA feel about applesauce for a special needs elderly woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8OocnnH0g&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 23Skidoo

I'm a bit paranoid about this now...I take it you mean the first two digits of your passport number. I have our etsa's done but used P0 (zero) as the first two digits. It definitely looks like a zero on the passports. Hoping we don't have any kind of problem like that when we get there, been planning this holiday for ages.

Does anyone know if you can bring pre-packed foods like peanuts and that through customs and onto the plane? My OH would like to bring some packaged nuts or protein bars, etc with him to snack on. Hope he can because he will be really annoyed if he can't!

Advertisement