Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ear pinning!!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Raiser wrote: »
    No lets shoot his whole Family and burn his House down and then strike him off :rolleyes:

- I'm 86.98% certain this advice was based on air circulation to the ear canal which in this case is obviously prone to recurring painful ear infections - Have you ever had one where you thought your head might split????

There a world of difference between removing surplus tissue for valid medical reasons and Scumbags butchering dogs to make them look cool :rolleyes:

Don't be so ridiculous. The vet wouldn't do it, so if he knows that his profession frown on it, why should he recommend that its done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

It is frowned upon for cosmetic purposes, not medical. Or am I reading it wrong
    Quote:

Cosmetic, tail docking or ear cropping in dogs (undesirable, unethical and vets refuse to carry these out)

Veterinary Ireland believes that the surgical alterations of individual animals may only be performed in the interests of the welfare of the animal or its herd.
    Mutilations such as ear cropping or tail docking of dogs, which are done for cosmetic purposes are considered ethically unacceptable and veterinary surgeons should refrain from performing these techniques
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial].
    [/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Okay - so does everyone agree then that ear cropping/pinning for medical purposes is acceptable but for cosmetic purposes it is not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ISDW wrote: »
    Don't be so ridiculous. The vet wouldn't do it, so if he knows that his profession frown on it, why should he recommend that its done?

A. They only frown on it in the case of Knackers who want to make their Dogs look oh so cool.

B. To allow air to circulate thus preventing recurring ear infections.

- Your argument is pretty much the same as saying that ENT Surgeons should be struck off for making holes in Kids eardrums and placing Grommets in them.

Like a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I think everyone can agree that cropping for MEDICAL reasons is acceptable BUT ONLY if it is the only way to improve a dogs quality of life. Its no different to amputating a limb, removing an eye etc. However for cosmetic reasons alone it's wrong. Plain and simple. And like it was said already, if only 1 ear is the problem then the other ear shouldnt be touched so that they "match"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

DBCyc wrote: »
    Be careful with boards! It certainly is not illegal to cycle in a bus lane. Although if there is a mandatory (solid white line) cycle lane provided, you must cycle in it. The government have said recently that they will get rid of this requirement as a lot of cycle lanes are substandard.

Woah - that was way off topic!

Back on topic - I can't see any justifiable reason to crop a dogs ears unless there is a serious medical problem. I would imagine that an ear infection would have to be extremely serious before a vet would even consider cropping a dogs ears.

sorry, i should've specified its illegal to use bus lane when cycle lane is provided;)...

back on topic, for cosmetic reasons i don't agree with mutilating any animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I would get a second vets opinion just to be sure it doesn't really make much sense for the dog to have his ear pinned back for a infection that's inside the ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Okay - so does everyone agree then that ear cropping/pinning for medical purposes is acceptable but for cosmetic purposes it is not?

I can agree with that although this vet's advice appears to have been given after only one infection. I'd only offer such a drastic solution if the dog was having recurrent problems.

It's important to regularly clean a dogs ears and, if necessary, pluck the long hairs from the inside to aid air circulation. This should become a routine part of your dog's health care, the same as brushing, bathing, parasite control and so on.

I suggest to try another vet and get the infection under control for starters. Look into regular ear cleaning too and how to properly do it. It can make a lot of difference and can greatly reduce the chances of parasite infestation and infection in the future.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

It looks like that is what the Veterinary body are saying anyway. it is interesting that the tail docking is included as "mutiliation". If thats the case then what about all the boxers/rottweilers etc with docked tails.....are the vets then saying they are mutilated for cosmetic purposes? and who performed these mutilations?

Either way if I was in OP's shoes I would get a second or even third opinion before I would consider operating. I have been through mis-diagnosis of my dogs several times and now always get another opinion if it is life threatening or altering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Raiser wrote: »
    A. They only frown on it in the case of Knackers who want to make their Dogs look oh so cool.

B. To allow air to circulate thus preventing recurring ear infections.

- Your argument is pretty much the same as saying that ENT Surgeons should be struck off for making holes in Kids eardrums and placing Grommets in them.

Like a breath of fresh air.

So why did the vet refuse to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The UK Animal Welfare Act does allow limited docking but it is very tightly controlled & there is a lot of procedure that has to be followed. The details are here:

http://www.cdb.org/awa/

Personally I don't totally buy the air circulation argument. Cockers are notorious for ear problems but I have never seen one with cropped ears or a cropped Basset. I wonder if a decision whether or not to crop is also based on how the dog will look afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

Discodog wrote: »
    There is your answer Tilly. If agreeing with the Veterinary profession is clannish they I am guilty.

cop on now a small bit. i didnt say i was in favour of ear cropping. here is my qoute so when ya quote me quote right. got it??!

dont get me wrong i dont like the idea of ear cropping. i'm jus saying its not illeagle.

i know some scumbags jus cut dogs ears off with scissors n detol. but in a sterile environment with anasthetic...no prob.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

If I were you Id make a routine for ear cleaning:)check every morning and clean and again in the evening.Like I said before I have a bichon who gets VERY bad ear infections literally within hours.They could be fine in the morning and then in the evening could be red and next morning full of gunk.I got a bottle of ear cleaner off my vet that they use and its great it lifts everything.I also keep the hair inside of her ears plucked and have her hair very short on the ourside.At the minute she looks more like a scalped rat than a bichon:) but it helps her ears:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ISDW wrote: »
    So why did the vet refuse to do it?

Dunno - Maybe ask him once you've put down your Flaming Torch, Petrol can and Pitchfork.....

\ Unsubscribes from thread :)

:D Blimey now I'm getting scared of ISDW ;)

Discodog wrote: »
    :confused:

what dont ya understand?? how old are ya? obviously i mean a vets surgery when i say sterile area wit anasthetics??

Old enough to see that you can't decide where you stand !
    but in a sterile environment with anasthetic...no prob.
    cop on now a small bit. i didnt say i was in favour of ear cropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I don't buy that cropping a dog's ears will significantly affect the health of the dog's ears, for the simple reason that in my life I handle many, many dogs of naturally pointed-eared breeds, and they suffer from just as many mild to serious ear infections as any floppy-eared dogs.
    So, from personal experience, cropping for medical reasons doesn't hold much ground. I'd like to see some research that compares the incidence of ear infections in pointed-eared vs floppy-eared dogs, or indeed that cropping ears improves the incidence or degree of infection.

i dont like it but if it has to be done in a vets i dont see the problem once its in a surgery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement