Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »
    Heres a funny story. Checked my email today and theres a mail from paypal, telling me TriAthy have just sent me a hundred quid for coming first in my ag in the Double oly. They apologised for the delay.

The funny part of this story, is there was noone else in my ag. :)

I do appreciate the cash though. Thank you, triAthy!

You should take that €100 and use it to fund a nice relaxing weekend away in Kerry. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    You should take that €100 and use it to fund a nice relaxing weekend away in Kerry. ;)
    Well seeing as I have to cancel Helvellyn, I do need something else to do... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

griffin100 wrote: »

Well seeing as I have to cancel Helvellyn, I do need something else to do... tongue.gif

Hardman!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Heres a funny story. Checked my email today and theres a mail from paypal, telling me TriAthy have just sent me a hundred quid for coming first in my ag in the Double oly. They apologised for the delay.

The funny part of this story, is there was noone else in my ag. :)

I do appreciate the cash though. Thank you, triAthy!

You'll have to come back next year and defend your title !

Well I havent signed up for hardman. I'm neither hard, nor a man. I am keen to do sign up for another event, but life is a bit messed up so no plans thus far.

Kettlebells last night. Tough going. I'm totally fine until I train, these days. Then I realise how wrecked I am. Legs are heavy today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well I havent signed up for hardman. I'm neither hard, nor a man. I am keen to do sign up for another event, but life is a bit messed up so no plans thus far.

Kettlebells last night. Tough going. I'm totally fine until I train, these days. Then I realise how wrecked I am. Legs are heavy today.

Hope all is ok, i'm wishing good karma towards the south west of the country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I think you need to rethink your above statement "I'm neither hard, nor a man" As far as I am concerned, you have proved how hard you actually are by your performance in Austria.

I think you need to rethink your above statement "I'm neither hard, nor a man" As far as I am concerned, you have proved how hard you actually are by your performance in Austria.
    The further away Austria gets, the less impressed I am by how I did. Which is normal, I think. Im forgetting the hard bits and only remembering how slow I was. :p

I got sent my ironface picture. Holy sh1t, I look ready to be laid out with rosary beads. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

The further away Austria gets, the less impressed I am by how I did. Which is normal, I think. Im forgetting the hard bits and only remembering how slow I was. :p

I got sent my ironface picture. Holy sh1t, I look ready to be laid out with rosary beads. :D

Ah me too, I wonder today and every day what all the fuss was about, it was hot, I should have just got over it and HTFU.

45 mins of turbo this evening. Keeping hr around 75%. It kept creeping up on me even though I didn't think the effort was that hard. Must be a recovery thing. Felt nice to spin. Haven't used the turbo in ages. Its lovely headspace.

• Advertisement

Another turbo set last night, same as the night before. Just keeping it all ticking over and keeping my head happy.

Ran this morning, I'm still very slow and still finding it tough. Its weird how you underestimate how much your body still needs to recover. Mine clearly does need more recovery, but in normal life I feel great. The first 4k of this was heavy and hard going, but after that I settled in and it was nice enough. 11k in an hour.

I entered Bunclody sprint today, and, on a whim, DCT standard. As mentioned I have to cancel my planned event for September, which I'm gutted about, so this is just to give me something to focus on. I don't plan any pb's here* but two short races should be fun.

I am also going to jump into HH advanced 1 marathon plan from next week. Funny thing is, looking at it, it seems totally lightweight compared to what me and Mr Fink did together. I bet it won't seem so easy once I get into it. :)

*thats my excuse for the crap times I will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No taking it easy at all for you. Pretty much straight in to marathon training. Hats off to you.

See you at DCT. Looking forward to racing in the Pale for the first time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Morning - Are you not doing Tri the Hook? - I thought it with being pretty close to home you'd give it a shot?

handangeo wrote: »
    Morning - Are you not doing Tri the Hook? - I thought it with being pretty close to home you'd give it a shot?
    No, I've not done it and won't be this year. I only entered Bunclody because I've done it before and its a great race. Tri the Hook is too close to that to bother entering both. Up to now I had kept the calendar clear for Helvellyn but thats not happening now, so I'm just having a stab at these others for something to do (and to see how I'm faring).

Took yesterday off because I had a mad day out with some friends. Great fun in Avon Ri doing some bucket list stuff like shooting and sailing. We also hit the town afterwards so I had a delicate head this morning.. Still managed to get out on the bike for 63k which felt very short. :) I'm going to pick up the workload again from this week and part of that means doing more intense work on the bike. Hills and sprints from here on in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Swimming in the Liffey, you're brave. :D Race is literally on my doorstep, no chance of me doing it though. It's the Liffey. Ugh.

Swimming in the Liffey, you're brave. :D Race is literally on my doorstep, no chance of me doing it though. It's the Liffey. Ugh.
    I did the sprint year before last and the water was no worse than anywhere else. I did hear of issues last year though. Tbh I don't care if I do it or not, its entered so the option is there, it will be something to amuse myself with for want of bigger plans. Am gutted I'm not doing the other race, I need the distraction. I don't hear much mention of vitruvian...?

I don't hear much mention of vitruvian...?

I've booked accommodation and looked at flights. :)

I swam a grand total of 800m last week, so a quality swim was needed today. For that reason I headed to the pool this morning instead of doing ow tonight. What I didn't realise is it is swim camp week so the pool was running restricted hours. I had barely an hour to get a set done. Started a pyramid but time ran out before the end so a total of 2400m today. I could feel that I had been out of the water, it took ages to feel at ease. Glad I got it done though, I never get distance like that in the sea (I'd be out till midnight!)

And I've checked the flights again and they've now gone down by 2 whole euro. Hmmm...

• Advertisement

And I've checked the flights again and they've now gone down by 2 whole euro. Hmmm...
    Yeah. No such thing as cheap flights anymore :(

Did a short run tonight followed by a godawful Kettlebell class. This included, among other things, 80 squats, a two minute plank, and holding a kettlebell over your head for a minute and a half per arm. Evil stuff.

This was a tough training day which means a rest day tomorrow. My diet was not as good as my training tho I've just polished off a large bar of chocolate. Must sort out my choc cravings. But not today. There's more Cadburys in the cupboard. :)

Reading about everyone elses IM plans for next year is driving me crazy. Its something I'd love to do again to exorcise the ghost of this year with its poor time, but realistically, resources don't allow it. I think I'm just going to have to stop reading the logs :)

Ask youself do you want to do the event or the distance? If it's just the distance there's cheaper ways to do it than travelling across Europe. Hardman, Ireman etc or even Challenge Henley?

Reading about everyone elses IM plans for next year is driving me crazy. Its something I'd love to do again to exorcise the ghost of this year with its poor time, but realistically, resources don't allow it. I think I'm just going to have to stop reading the logs :)

I hear you and there's mnothing I'd like more than to do an IM next year too. Seeing as I can't I'm going to try and get faster over the shorter distances and then hopefully when I return to the longer stuff I'll be in a situation where I can give it a good lash.

Perhaps you should try something similar.

Ask youself do you want to do the event or the distance? If it's just the distance there's cheaper ways to do it than travelling across Europe. Hardman, Ireman etc or even Challenge Henley?

Not sure I'd risk Challenge Henley. Wasn't interested very sick after the Thames last year?

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hear you and there's mnothing I'd like more than to do an IM next year too. Seeing as I can't I'm going to try and get faster over the shorter distances and then hopefully when I return to the longer stuff I'll be in a situation where I can give it a good lash.

Perhaps you should try something similar.
    That has been the plan. But I think my heart belongs to long distance. :) I did look at Ireman. Its a possibility for next year alright. But apart from the money the time it takes to train is a big issue. I won't have a good support structure around me so I have to be realistic about it even though it sucks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

That has been the plan. But I think my heart belongs to long distance. :) I did look at Ireman. Its a possibility for next year alright. But apart from the money the time it takes to train is a big issue. I won't have a good support structure around me so I have to be realistic about it even though it sucks. :)

One of the challenges around local IM races is that they are typically poorly attended - I think ~20 or so did Ireman* last year.

Given that your IM experience has been the big razmattazz of Austria, it can be difficult to get turned on for some of the local IMs, even if they are well organized etc...

* plus Ireman continue with their crazy off-road run course :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

pgibbo wrote: »
    Not sure I'd risk Challenge Henley. Wasn't interested very sick after the Thames last year?

I was sick but it was unrelated to my swim there. The run was very 'Benny Hill' esque with large sections off road and down ruts in fields from a land rover. Funny now, but at the time ...

Swim was the lure for me and it didn't disappoint. Bike had its fair share of hills and road surface was alot like here.

• Advertisement

This morning was run #2 in my marathon plan. It was meant to be pmp, but unless my marathon is gonna be a bit slow this wasn't on pace. My plan is to do most of the key sessions and all of the long runs, but to swap some of the shorter and less crucial runs for my bike and swim sets. Sure, we will see how that goes.

Advertisement