Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Nice TCR there Oryx.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks. :) Its been a good bus so far and I think I'm beginning to look like I belong on it.

Ran this evening. I planned an easy 10k in about an hour but took a route around town instead of my usual one. This led to a bit of an oops. I misjudged the distance and ended up doing over 14k. My legs are still tired and stiff so the last few Kms were a bad tempered grumbling plod. Some runs are lovely. This wasn't one.

Early swim this morning. Yet again I felt a bit tired but sometimes thats just the lazy demon in my head telling me I don't really want to do all this training. So I ignored the little voices and got stuck in. Planned a straightforward swim, working on keeping focus and holding form throughout. 1800m in the others stopped me and told me we were now doing a relay race, 100m sprints. I was the slowest there by a mile so I apologised to my team mates before I even started. :) No idea of my time but we lost, naturally. Finished out the set at 2100m, once again reminded that my swimming is pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Oryx wrote: »
    Early swim this morning. Yet again I felt a bit tired but sometimes thats just the lazy demon in my head telling me I don't really want to do all this training. So I ignored the little voices and got stuck in. Planned a straightforward swim, working on keeping focus and holding form throughout. 1800m in the others stopped me and told me we were now doing a relay race, 100m sprints. I was the slowest there by a mile so I apologised to my team mates before I even started. :) No idea of my time but we lost, naturally. Finished out the set at 2100m, once again reminded that my swimming is pants.

Is there a little air of defeatism here, or just you being self-effacing? You're doing decent distances in swims, remind yourself of how much that's adding to your overall training. Do you find the swim strength is aiding your other disciplines?

I'm not defeated but I am being honest. I know my weaknesses. But I also know how far I have come, having no background in swimming. So I don't get depressed about it. And I prefer being at the back of a fast group rather than the front of a slow one. :)

At this point the swimming takes a lot out of me so the only thing I notice is it makes me tired. If there are gains in the other disciplines because of it I can't say I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

I'm not defeated but I am being honest. I know my weaknesses. But I also know how far I have come, having no background in swimming. So I don't get depressed about it. And I prefer being at the back of a fast group rather than the front of a slow one. :)

At this point the swimming takes a lot out of me so the only thing I notice is it makes me tired. If there are gains in the other disciplines because of it I can't say I'm aware.

Ditto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

And you will see greater gains chasing the fish than being chased, so you've got your positioning correct. Swimming does take alot out of an athlete, so that is normal. Some might disagree with me, but I think swimming takes more out of an athlete than running or cycling - it's so intense and is so demanding on your entire body at all times. With running and cycling, I can partition off energy. With swimming, not so much.

You are doing great. And I bet that your swimming helped with your endurance and stellar performance at the Ballbuster last weekend. There's just no way that it didn't. If I lived near you, I'd make you help me with my rookie cycling and I'd help you with your swimming. We'd be pretty awesome when we were done with eachother. :)

Drove to the beach today just as the sun came up, and ran along the shore line at 7am and it was blissful. The sea was flat calm, with gorgeous sunshine, quiet except for fish jumping. Its the beach where they filmed Saving Private Ryan, its miles long and on a day like today there is nowhere else in the world I'd rather be. This is why I like training, because it puts you in places like that at weird times when noone else is around.

But that was just the warm up, because I was early for the main set. Which began with lunges and stretches and a few horrible kb moves. Then an interval set through the forest, the same, but longer, than two weeks ago. My legs felt shot to pieces before I began, but somehow, I enjoyed the set and worked harder than I thought I would. By the end though my quads and particularly my IT band were in trouble. I badly need it looked at but for now foam rolling will have to do. (I am SO bad at bothering to do that, shame on me). Had to rush home afterwards, but I love that set, training with other people, a bit of craic, I couldnt miss it, even tho I cut it short. Hour and a half altogether, 6.4 miles, including w/u and stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Cycling: I think I can see where I'm going wrong.

No chance of going thirsty there, eh?:)

Obviously, go with whatever you are comfortable with, but at IM, the race will be totally over catered, so you are never far away from your next water bottle, so there are no concerns about getting caught without any hydration.

Youre missing the point I made earlier. I am probably the most inept cyclist you have ever seen. Most 6 year olds can cycle better than me. I have zero balance and if I try to drink from a bottle on the bike, I fall off. Which is a worse thing to admit to than alcoholism. Its not for want of trying but in two and a half years, the problem has not improved. Hence the need for the overpriced plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done at the BB Oryx. Love that pic of you carrying the bike, proper hot SBR hoochie stuff ;)

I know that feeling of IM training giving you a whole new feeling of fitness and former events not taking as much of a toll on you. Beware though you can take going deeper because you are in better shape but don't underestimate the recovery you need after racing for 3.5-4 hours. Think of your newfound fitness as a box of matches. You don't want to burn the box before the big day so light with care! Super result and chuffed to bits for you given the hurdles you have had to negotiate recently.

Thanks for that advice. It is hard to rein it in when you feel good and also when the plan says you must do x, y, or z. This week I have felt the need for recovery but I've only given it to myself to a limited extent. (Today for example I still did 75k on the bike but I did it slooow.) Still trying to find the elusive balance between too little and too much. :) No more events till the end of April tho.

Thanks for that advice. It is hard to rein it in when you feel good and also when the plan says you must do x, y, or z. This week I have felt the need for recovery but I've only given it to myself to a limited extent. (Today for example I still did 75k on the bike but I did it slooow.) Still trying to find the elusive balance between too little and too much. :) No more events till the end of April tho.[/QUOTE]

Thought "Du the Hook" would be close to home and on your list next weekend? I'm doing it all going well domestically :rolleyes:

Nope. I struck all short races off my list this year because theyre the wrong thing to do. My next event in the wexford half then Joey Hannan the week after.

Youre missing the point I made earlier. I am probably the most inept cyclist you have ever seen. Most 6 year olds can cycle better than me. I have zero balance and if I try to drink from a bottle on the bike, I fall off. Which is a worse thing to admit to than alcoholism. Its not for want of trying but in two and a half years, the problem has not improved. Hence the need for the overpriced plastic.

I see.

You should put your case to the WTC - they might create a special category for your kind and give you a good shot at Kona, in Austria...:)

Izoard wrote: »
    I see.

You should put your case to the WTC - they might create a special category for your kind and give you a good shot at Kona, in Austria...:)
    Or at the very least, allow me stabilisers. Is there a tricycle class?

Sunday
    LSB. 75k. Felt easy, because I rode it easy. I have no further stats but it was a nice day except for the wind.

Monday Morning
    Swim set. Felt sluggish and tired. Almost gave up 16 lengths into it. Instead I did some drills, starting with 250 kick, then 100 each, drag fingers, zipper, fists, one arm, head up, ssts. Then just swam the rest of it out trying to keep my technique strong. 2k total.

Monday Evening
    Kettlebells. Long warm up, with plenty of hard stuff. Then the main set of 12 each(incl 12 of each arm on the one arm stuff): pressups, military press, swings, alternating, one arm, cleans, one arm press, squats (racked on one arm so 24), bent over row, dl with high pull. Yick. Then we did it all again, but with shorter reps on some of the moves.
    To cool down we had a 2 min plank, and 30 secs each side of lateral plank, with the upper arm and leg raised. Double Yick. I passed on the pull ups, the strength work is racking up the pressure, and its causing issues with my other training (and vice versa).

Tuesday am
    Turbo. 60 mins. Started with single legs x5 then worked on keeping hr and cad steady at z2/80. One 5 min burst of harder effort towards the end.

Tuesday pm
    Evil swim session. 200m drills. Can't remember all of them but I know we did lungbuster, lateral kick, one arm, drag ring, zipper, two sets with paddles, and three stroke alternating. Plus warm up and swim down. And during the set wrist weights were passed around. I ended up with them for the lateral kick and both paddle sets but I refused to keep them on with the drag ring, I thought I would just sink like a stone. :) A tough set. But good, I think it suited me more than sprints and stuff.

And I had to take the core training prior to the swim. They all hated it which I took to be a good thing. :)

Wednesday
    Early run. 11k. A few stops to chat and stretch stiff calves, so it took one hour. Other than the stiffness it was an easy trot. I am developing a niggle in the right calf tho. Must get it seen to.

Thursday am
    Turbo set. This was meant to be a high cad session but body said Nah. Couldn't *ahem* get it up. This is a problem since bb, the auld legs have been feeling the strain. This is the only way it shows tho, which is weird. But hopefully temporary. Anyway. 60 mins holding z2 with a few short bursts into z3.

Thursday pm
    A nice handy evening run. Just short of 13k. 1 hour 12 mins. 5.16/5.17/5.19/5.20/5.44/5.46/5.26/5.38/5.45/5.47/5.43/5.58/5.24
    Terrible slow down there. And I can't just blame the hills, though the latter half was all uphill. I was feeling it and simply didn't push through that.

• Advertisement

Just one session today. 7am swim. Just swam it straight. 2150 in 55 mins or so. While speed is not reflected in that time, I didn't seem to get lapped as much as normal. Maybe everyone else was slower...

To my friends and family:

No, I am not run down.
    No, I am not lacking in anything.
    Yes, I am eating enough.
    Yes, I am sleeping enough.
    No, I am not overdoing it.
    Yes, the kids are getting plenty of my time.
    Yes, I really do want to do this.
    Yes, I am sure that running in the rain is an ok thing to do.
    Of course I will be careful on the bike.
    I am doing this because it is important to me.

Thank you for your concern, I know you mean well. Now please, stop trying to make me quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No, I am not run down.
    Yes, I am eating enough.

Thank you for your concern, I know you mean well. Now please, stop trying to make me quit.

LMAO - I remember it well. I had to bite my tongue on more ocassions than I care to remember.

The killing thing is that most people that go on like that could really do with getting their a$$ off the couch and exercising!

No, I am not run down.
    Yes, I am eating enough.

And I thought it was just me who got this grief :rolleyes:

No, I am not run down.
    Yes, I am eating enough.

Unfortunately, 99.9% of the general population can't compute what you are attempting to do.
    Also, I think it is a bit of an Irish-thing;
    "Sure, you'd never be able to do that...you'll kill yourself"

At various points along the journey, it can become quite a lonely proposition, but you've got the inner strength in spades and all these words of "concern" will be turning to congratulations before you know it.

Keep the faith...

So, would these same people think it was bad form for me to try and hook up with you for a run (fun and scenic, I swear!) when I come to visit your island this summer? They just don't understand..... I promise, it can be followed by beer and food and a family musical gathering if that would help. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

No, I am not run down.
    Yes, I am eating enough.

No kids but all the others apply.

Also:

No I'm not mad.
    And no mother, I'm not getting too thin, I weight the same as I did last year, and the year before, and the year before and.......

Ah it was my brother (who has lived a fast and loose lifestyle and given my nother most of her grey hair) who was the last straw. :)

And Dory, youre on!

Ah it was my brother (who has lived a fast and loose lifestyle and given my nother most of her grey hair) who was the last straw. :)

And Dory, youre on!

Woo hoo!! I should be on your soil just after you've knocked all your competitors into next year in Austria. We can celebrate the thrashing you gave them together!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Add another one:

What's wrong with going to the pub!

Advertisement