Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Limerick need a new independant record store?

• 12-05-2006 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Me and a friend are considering opening our own record store, usual deal, small, independant type thing, the plan is in it's early stages (and who knows, reality may kill it yet) but do people think Limerick needs a new independant record store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

New independant stores are generally a good thing. So, aye...
    But what's your angle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

aye.. i used to buy loads of vinyl untill empire got rubbish and blackspot closed down and so did mynt although that was just club music.

If you did it right and catered for a range of people it would probably work esp since empire,hmv and virigin basically sell the same cds..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think its a great idea. You'll need to have a broad selection of *good* music, i.e. stuff that isn't stocked by HMV/Virgin.

Best of luck with it guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I'd say it would work, there's definitely a demand for the kind of music that you can't buy from the mainstream shops just get your market research right and you should be grand. A Czech guy I work with was saying he couldn't find a good selection of whatever sort of house/r'n'b stuff he's into here, so that got me thinking that it might be an idea to find out the tastes of the immigrant population and cater for them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

speaking for my polish neighbours musical taste: black gangsta rap, techno and top40 will do it. the main thing is it is lound, fairly a melody, not innovative and heavy basses.

speaking for me: provide me the complete ouevres of Rameau and Lully and I'm yours!

IB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

New music stores are ALWAYS a good idea. Just make sure you have a solid plan and get a niche, aim at stocking stuff that some people might want but the other places don't have

Good luck with it! I'll shop there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

yeah, me too... more music stores the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Please stock vinyl! I want the first three Police albums on vinyl...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

If you stock lots and lots of obscure prog rock and classic rock/metal you can rest assured that I and many others will be regular customers.

We have no other option as it stands. All the existing stores are purely catering to the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Ever since black spot closed Limerick has needed a new independent store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Go for it. There's too much of a monopoly in Limerick with only one independent store and two big players.
    Independent stores bring more enthusiasm from the owner/operators and there is more of a variety..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

An independant record store can only be a good thing, I buy most of my albums online these days, but if I could get them in town I'd be spending money in your store every week. Good luck with this by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement