Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Change Requests & Web Site Builds

Options
  • 03-11-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

So I'm currently PM'ing a web site build and I have employed an off shore web development company to build it.

Requirements phase consisted of myself drawing up all the major functionalities required across each different screen, and then they came back within an estimate in terms of man hours etc for each screen. So that was fine and we said go ahead.

They then came back with some wire frames etc of all the major screens etc and we signed off to moved towards build phase.

So fast forward 2 months and we get the product back, and go through an initial testing phasing (major functionality) which passes. All good.

I then present to the end user / customer and they have ideas in relation the site UI behaviour (pop ups etc) & UI changes to the screens which were not included in the original design sign off

I presented these changes back to the developers and they have infact come back and said that these are in fact change requests and the cost should to absorbed by the customer...

I find this hard to believe that the developers did not account / budget for the customer to input relating to the UI behaviour of the site, never mind the screens that the customer had never seen before.

Is this normal practice in relation to web site builds.

To me a change request, is requesting extra functionality / changes which had already been previously signed off on. In the above the site behaviour was never highlighted in the "Design sign off" phase so was never agreed.
    Obviously the same applies to the screens which were not included in the wireframes.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Without getting into specifics the simple observation is that the developers are designing the site to your specs as you are their client.

You are responsible for managing any additional changes and associated costs that are requested by your client.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

gerryg80 wrote: »

I find this hard to believe that the developers did not account / budget for the customer to input relating to the UI behaviour of the site, never mind the screens that the customer had never seen before.

Respectfully, that is your mistake. It is not hard to believe.
    Is this normal practice in relation to web site builds.

Yes, very normal. (unless agreed otherwise in writing).
    To me a change request, is...

Unless you wrote it down somewhere (such as a contract), and the developers agreed/signed, it doesn't matter what you do and do not consider a change request.
    Any advice appreciated.

Remember these mistakes. Learn from them. Especially if you are intending to manage any future projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

KonFusion wrote: »
    Respectfully, that is your mistake. It is not hard to believe.
    Interesting, I would have always thought that it was the developers responsibility to get customer sign off regarding screens / behaviour else risk "this scenario"

As you say, i learn etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Requirements phase consisted of myself drawing up all the major functionalities
    They then came back with some wire frames etc of all the major screens etc and we signed off
    So fast forward 2 months and we get the product back, and go through an initial testing phasing (major functionality) which passes.

They did what you asked and you signed it off. Anything going forward, even changing the colour of a button, is a change request!

It appears that while you signed off, you didn't get the client to sign off and that's the mistake.

Advertisement