Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you recommend a book? - Henry VIII

Options
  • 03-09-2015 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

I read in the Guardian that Henry VIII has been voted the worst Monarch.
    Other than watching the Tudors, I have little knowledge of Henry VIII but would love to read up on his life.

Can you recommend a book on Henry VIII and maybe your reason why?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

His Dissolution of the Monasteries was resisted with the Pilgrimage of Grace and rebellions which continued to erupt under Edward VI resisting subsequent Reforms like the English prayerbook. However, worst? He was a fairly appalling human being, but as a king, I don't know about worst. King Stephen whose reign put God and his Saints asleep to adapt a comment of the time, might be a better fit for worst. King Stephen was a skilled soldier and tactician, but as a politician on the macro level he missed so many chances to overcome the Empress Matilda and alienate lords who were more inclined to be loyal.

Eamonn Duffy, Stripping of the Altars covers a key aspect of Henry's rule lucidly and is not expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd also recommend Stripping of the Altars. As well the book "The Pilgrimage of Grace: The Rebellion That Shook Henry VIII's Throne" by Moorhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HH Barbara Allen

A third vote for "Stripping of the Altars". Very interesting and useful.

Advertisement