Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

robindch wrote: »
    You -- though not Professor Plumb -- are allowed to post here in A+A on any relevant topic and your views will not be censored, once you stick to the forum charter which requires you, in broad terms, to (a) refrain from insulting other posters and (b) to engage in honest dialectic debate.
    Thank you Robin ... I wouldn't dream of insulting other posters ... and I hope that they will return the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

J C wrote: »
    A Threads and I will definitely stay on topic on each of them while giving a Christian perspective on your discussions.

I find that irrelevant and somewhat arrogant. Most of us would have been raised in a Christian setting so we know very well what it's like to look at things from a Christian perspective. You on the other hand have no experience of looking at things from an Atheistic point of view yet you still think that you are the one who needs to give their perspective to rest of us.

It's the equivalent of an Irish person who is fluent in German deciding to visit some German people in order to tell them about their own culture and language. It's arrogance at it's very best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of insulting other posters ... and I hope that they will return the favour.
    I'm sure nobody will, but please note the second part of what I said, about engaging in dialectic debate.

Soapboxes and smilies don't cut it on this side of the fence.

I'm sure nobody will, but please note the second part of what I said, about engaging in dialectic debate.

Soapboxes and smilies don't cut it on this side of the fence.
    I can asssure you the debate will be precise and fortright and I accept your assurance, as moderator, that you will not allow personal insults to be directed at me and the debate will therefore concentrate on the issues and not the person (as per the Charter).

I find that irrelevant and somewhat arrogant. Most of us would have been raised in a Christian setting so we know very well what it's like to look at things from a Christian perspective. You on the other hand have no experience of looking at things from an Atheistic point of view yet you still think that you are the one who needs to give their perspective to rest of us.
    I'm here to learn about Atheism ... but obviously as a Christian, any comments I make will be from a Christian perspective.
    Why do you think that it is arrogant for me to express my Christian beliefs on your forum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It appears JC / Professor Plumb are no more.

Back to the Interesting Stuff then...

(:);):p:rolleyes::P:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »

Wait, were they the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I'm not on boards for one weekend and the BCP thread is locked and J C comes over to the "dark" side for a chat, now that is interesting stuff.

Wait, were they the same person?
    Indeed. A sort of holy Trinity, if you will, only with two.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was wondering. J C's demeanour seemed a lot different since they killed his lovechild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades wrote: »

Hang on, does this mean the mystery about whether, JC is the genuine loony article or a really bizarre elaborate joke, is never going to be solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Malty_T wrote: »
    Hang on, does this mean the mystery about whether, JC is the genuine loony article or a really bizarre elaborate joke, is never going to be solved?

Possibly not, J C's only banned until July 11th: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php
    04-07-2010, 8:34 J C 11-07-2010, 8:00 Signing up alt account to evade forum ban Silverfish

I say possibly because we may never be able to answer the question whether he comes back or not. In all likelihood there'll always be some doubt over it. It's somewhat CS Lewis's trilemma of Lord, Liar or Lunatic except there are only two options: lunatic or troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was wondering. J C's demeanour seemed a lot different since they killed his lovechild.

Yeah, I thought so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I honestly hope JC doesn't come back and ruin this forum with creationist crap. The last few threads have just been hijacked with twaddle..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

liamw wrote: »
    I honestly hope JC doesn't come back
    i think i read this book once, so at the risk of spoiling the ending on you - you're gonna be disappointed.

i think i read this book once, so at the risk of spoiling the ending on you - you're gonna be disappointed.

at least it's 7 days, not 3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

planck460_1672565c.jpg
    Source

Emm, sure looks like an explosion, doesn't it.

The black bits are where God lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

planck460_1672565c.jpg
    Source

Emm, sure looks like an explosion, doesn't it.

Just a slight bit of pedantry :

First Planck Telescope Picture of the Entire Universe.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how come i can't see my own house in it so?

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Just a slight bit of pedantry :

First Planck Telescope Picture of the Entire Universe.:)

Well to be completely accurate, its a Multi-frequency all-sky image of the microwave sky ;)

Sure you can, its right there, near the side, beside the bit that looks a thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's a question of perspective.

2010-06-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

It's a question of perspective.

2010-06-10.jpg

19743-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Fast-Arrow-Hitting-The-Bullseye-Of-A-Target-During-Shooting-Practice-Symbolizing-Precision-Ambition-And-Goals.jpg

:P

EDIT: I still don't understand those kinds of pictures.

The WMAP picture of the big bang;

sky_wmap_big.jpg

can make people cry, but to me I just don't see how they get spherical pictures when they're in the center of it.

More study needed...

the picture is just a 2D projection of a 3D surface; it's a similar problem to drawing the map of the world on a flat sheet of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

As I understand it we're not at the centre but on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

As I understand it we're not at the centre but on the surface.

I think its like being on the surface of an expanding sphere but we cant see the way that space is curved with only our 3D perception.

we're not in the picture at all; the imagery was taking looking outwards from the earth. it'd be analogous to looking at the surface of a globe, but from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Fizziks is hrd. :pac:

• Advertisement

Fizziks is hrd. :pac:

Don't understand? Just call it God, it's easier

Advertisement