Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MayDay DISGRACE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by mike65
    http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=64753

It'll proberly be best read later on tomorrow when its had chance to develope into a proper shouting match.

Mike.

They are an awful shower of fools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Well I was there and I'm convinced that the whole thing was a joint government/garda/leftist/media operation designed to weed out the members of the populace who, by believing even a fraction of the rubbish they were told was going to happen, proved beyond any doubt that they're actually far too thick and gullible to have the right to either vote, procreate or travel outside the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Stekelly
    i'd have done it for free:D

Me loads the sniper rifle.

Make it one of these and I'm with you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by pork99

You'll have to count me out on that one. I'd have extreme difficulty deciding on which direction to point it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by dazberry
    You'll have to count me out on that one. I'd have extreme difficulty deciding on which direction to point it.

We can only let you carry the ammo then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fine, but i get first choice of vantage point. :D Come one , come all, to the great mayday turkey shoot. Free teddy for every 5 hippies you bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by daveirl

On another note, Is it my imagination or shouldn't those water cannons be far more powerful. If anyone remembers Euro 2000, the water cannon sent the English hooligans spinning accross the floor, where as our soccer hooligan in the Celtic shirt was able to stand up to the water.

They probably had it attached to an outside tap of a nearby house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Tuars

I think the gardaí did quite well (although the don't seem to be too stretched).

The protesters behaved well for most of the day. The leaders marshalled the crowds well. A few bad elements hung around later at night for the proverbial handbags as would have been expected.

The media are a disgrace. They had the headlines written before the event. They wanted a big story and they went ahead and wrote it anyway.

1 garda injured and about 25 arrests. That's not much considering the significance of the event. 10 new countries joined the EU. It's probably the biggest 'EU/Globalisation' event since the fall of the Berlin wall.

And we got less arrests then at an outdoor rock concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Protectors of our freedom

may_press_12.jpg

may_press_9.jpg

At least the first chap is willing to be recognised....

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Pity the Guards did'nt beat the crap out of those knackers would have been nice if a few were killed or maimed maybe then they can f**k off back to there holes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

water cannons were too good for them, i'd say more probably turned up for the free wash. fair play to the cops, v. professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭halkar

Agree with Tuars about the media even if there was no troubles I am sure they would have come up with something anyway :D
    And congratulate the gardaí for keeping things under control for most of the day. These junkie trouble makers just move from event to event for the sake of causing disorder regardless what you do they will do what they came for. They don't care what the protests are about, I don't even think they know what they protest, most of them can't even spell Globalisation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by halkar
    Agree with Tuars about the media even if there was no troubles I am sure they would have come up with something anyway :D
    And congratulate the gardaí for keeping things under control for most of the day. These junkie trouble makers just move from event to event for the sake of causing disorder regardless what you do they will do what they came for. They don't care what the protests are about, I don't even think they know what they protest, most of them can't even spell Globalisation :D
    Indeed. Tuars is spot on. I flicked on Sky News and briefly thought there were actually riots. The...eh...no.

It went off well. Some of the march changed direction, and the Gardai stopped them. There was very little violence (although the footage showed there were a few obvious complete scumbags there who were doing their best to incite violence and "bayte de shoite oura de filth") and the Gardai kept their cool very well (but their lack of experience in riot control surfaced now and again when they broke line and the sargeants had to drag them back into formation).

As for people complaining about the amoutn of money spent - well, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't aren't they? If they didn't prepare properly, there'll always be people to complain that they didn't take security seriously enough, and if trouble actually did break out, the same people would stand with a faux smug look saying "I told you so".

Better safe than sorry. There was a strong possibility of violence, our Gardai prepared adequately, and acted professionally to avoid increasing the tension. Many protestors played their part and made an effort to keep the crowd calm. A job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

water cannons were too good for them, i'd say more probably turned up for the free wash. fair play to the cops, v. professional.

Who organised these this protest?

Why should the state have to pay for massive security for these protests - the people who organise these things should be hit with at least some of the cost.

If you organise a protest, march or demonstration - have you not a responsibility to make sure it passes off peacefully?
    There was a strong possibility of violence, our Gardai prepared adequately, and acted professionally to avoid increasing the tension.

Great Credit has to go to the security forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Taken from Ireland.com breaking news

DGN blames Government and Garda for disturbances
    By Conor Pope Last updated: 02-05-04, 13:24

The Dublin Grassroots Network (DGN) this morning laid the blame for last night's disturbances outside the Phoenix Park squarely at the feet of the Government and the Garda accusing both of stoking up tensions in the run up to May Day.

In a statement the DGN also said the reaction of the gardai to "isolated pushing and shoving" last night was totally unnecessary as there was "never any chance that the crowd would break through police lines".

Last night the Taoiseach Mr Ahern paid tribute to the Garda handling of the disturbances, saying that while he was disappointed they took place he was "happy with the way the Garda Siochana have handled the situation".

Superintendent John Farrelly also defended the gardai's handling of the trouble. "We had a job to do," he said. "The job we had to do was to protect society, to protect the people in the park and the situation was that has been achieved.

"If people want to try to take over the streets of this country or this city or anything else, well they can't do that. That's anarchy and it doesn't work."

The DGN, in a statement released this morning, said that their 'Bring the Noise' march to Farmleigh was about "the freedom of assembly and opinion" and accused the Minister for Justice, Mr McDowell deliberately seeking "trouble and arrests to justify his multi-million euro [security] operation".

"We are told that we 'provoked' the police," the DNG said. "But this was not a question of ordinary gardai somehow losing the run of themselves. It was a command decision to pull back the ordinary gardai and attack a crowd of several thousand people. Those baton charges very nearly provoked a full-scale panic, in which people would have been trampled. This has nothing to do with keeping the peace."

The group accepted that while "some cans and bottles were thrown", the garda response was totally out of proportion to the risks posed by the marchers.

"We have spoken to several eyewitnesses who saw people beaten, thrown over walls, or hit on the head, even while sitting down," the statement says. "This police reaction was unnecessary. There was never any chance that the crowd would break through police lines".

"The Government wanted a riot, and no doubt that is how they will describe this. If so, it was not protestors who were rioting."

The group pointed out that the vast majority of the weekend events were "cheerful, friendly and colourful" and passed off peacefully. DGN said it remained committed to defend the right to free assembly and said they would not "give up the right to protest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Cork the right to freely assemble and protest are constitutional afaik, and what exactly are you suggesting? that Free speech come at a price.These people are tax payers and as such contribute the same as the rest of us for the rights and freedoms we enjoy from the state garenteed by the constitution.What do you suggest we charge for free speech?.Also If you belive that protesters should pay their cost to the state, do you not also belive the corrupt in fianna fail should also pay their cost to the state, you know tribunals etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Nah, fup the MG, gimme one of THESE and I'm with you!! Bags first magazine though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    If you organise a protest, march or demonstration - have you not a responsibility to make sure it passes off peacefully?
    No.

Keep posting that question and I'll keep posting that answer. It's already been dealt with.

right to freely assemble and protest

Thats a right.

But the protest yesterday turned ugly. Was there not a journalist who recieved facial injuries??

Does anybody know, how he is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope no journalist hurt from what I saw and read but a ban garda received minor head injuries and was discharged soon afterwards. A couple of protesters were also hurt but no more info has appeared on what happened to them.

Had a quick read of the indymedia site this morning and its priceless comments that the Gardai caused the problems. From what I saw and read it was a minority of the crowd that were throwing cans etc that caused the problems and kudos to the Gardai they acted in a very professional manner. What did these protesters expect to be let walk to Farmleigh with a rake of European Leaders there, especially with increased threats of terrorist attacks (thanks to the Axis of Diesels "War on Terror" tm).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by gandalf
    Nope no journalist hurt from what I saw and read but a ban garda received minor head injuries and was discharged soon afterwards. A couple of protesters were also hurt but no more info has appeared on what happened to them.
    From what I've read, but not seen confirmed, there was a broken arm and a number of other injuries from baton blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

its priceless comments that the Gardai caused the problems

such hypocrasy!! All week I have been hearding that these people werent going to cause any problems, that there as going to be no riots etc !! And there they were in the thick of it looking to cause trouble!

No Gardai or Defence Personel needed :rolleyes: yeah right!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Commenting on last night’s very small riot a garda press officer talking on TV3’s news said, it ended up with the garda having to “issue a degree of punishment”

I’d like to know when the garda were given the right to issue “punishment”?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Some guy who was sitting down with his hands out making peace signs had one or both of his arms beaten down by a Garda's club. Maybe it was his arm that got broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Was there. It was good overall. Carnavel atmosphere walking down the road; bongo's and dancing, lots of whistles.

There were some small groups who looked like they may be out to cause some sort of a fracus, but it never happined and the feeling throughout was peaceful.

When we reached the barrier of guards in riot-gear with the water cannon, we obviously were'nt to happy about being told we can go no further. But there was never a need for the water cannons. The first blast was on a crowd that was mostly organised into an on the spot sit-down protest. A single line of more vigalint protesters stood confronting the four or five rows of guards, and the rest were just observing. About fifteen minutes later they gave an audio warning.

Disgraceful. The guardi were just trying out their new toy, only out on loan after all.

Originally posted by Goodshape
    Was there. It was good overall. Carnavel atmosphere walking down the road; bongo's and dancing, lots of whistles.

Disgraceful. The guardi were just trying out their new toy, only out on loan after all.

The Gardai are there to maintain law and order. These protestors
    were'nt to happy about being told we can go no further

So, Gardai had to use water canons.

Were the Gardai to blame for the people who had to be brought to hospital?

I think the Gardai were 100% justified in what they did.

The GardaI are there to maintain law and order. These protestors should tear a leaf out of the IFA book on peaceful protest. The IFA tractor protest came to Dublin, made their point and went home.

IThe Gardai did their job very well yesterday - Full credit to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Cork
    These protestors should tear a leaf out of the IFA book on peaceful protest.
    You mean like releasing sheep into the Dept of Agriculture lobby?

But wouldn't the tearing be violent?

Advertisement