Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck!

• 30-11-2004 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey, been playing drums for a good while now. Getting stuck for things to play. Any of you drummers got any suggestions? Know any good drum tabs or rudiments or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the Great Apocolypse...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Children Of Bodom - Bodom Beach Terror - nice drum intro riff

Tell us what style you are aiming for or like and we might give you suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Listen to bands with good technical drummers, eg, Cynic, Rush, Watchtower and bands with good groove drummers, eg AC/DC, buy as many Motown cd's as possible, Chic, any James Brown and try to combine technical excellence with groove and musicality. There are very few who can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

Thanks for the replies.
    LordChessington - i'm trying to improve my jazz technique mostly but don't really know where to start. I'm also thinking about getting lessons but i'm not sure. Anyone know of any good books or dvd's out there?

There's a Buddy Rich's Book Of Rudiments out there. I reckon that'd be a good place to start.

Best thing is though, just listen to jazz. Try the likes of Weather Report (Heavy Weather) Tony William's Lifetime, Return To Forever, Ohm, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Tribal Tech for more contemporary stuff which someone from a rock background could appreciate easily.

Then just explore their influences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

The Mahavishnu Orchestra is great for drumming. Check out Birds of Fire if you wanna hear some great odd-time stuff. Lateralus by Tool is brilliant also, and so is The Mars Volta's album. Maybe check out some drum and bass too - the rhythms are amazing. Something like Squarepusher's Hard Normal Daddy has some amazing stuff on it, or maybe Roni Size. Or maybe Vinnie Coluiata? He played with Sting on Englishman In New York and everything elso from that period, I think. He's just amazing. He's also playing with Megadeth at the mo, proof that he can do anything.

Yeah Vinnie Coluiata is great. Jon Theodore drums for the mars volta and is amazing, as is Danny carey.
    A lot of new stuff there to listen to. Thanks for the posts.

Asphalt

Rust In Peace by Megadeth is also criminally underrated in drumming circles, it's technical, tight and really excellently in keeping with the music.

But since you've heard Aghora and are familiar with Sean Reinert, you must pick up Focus by Cynic, the greatest metal/jazz album ever and you will never hear a more impressive collection of drumming. Ever.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6768895&cart=217261197

Aghora is one of kilgore's influences. But i've heard Reinert. That cynic album has been recommended before, maybe its about time i buy it.

On the Aghora CD he's at maybe 40% of what he's capable of. The Cynic stuff will just amaze you. I recently read "it's the Dennis Chambers approach by operating the hi-hat and left (if you're right-handed/using a standard layout) bass drum pedal at the same time. Sean leads most if not all of his double bass with the left foot (which to a right-footed guy is pretty ass-backwards for a start) so as to get a hi-hat ostinato going on the first beat instead of in a backbeat, as if you had started with the right foot. I'm pretty sure Sean is both right-handed and footed, btw." regarding his ability to play ride, snare, hats and double bass at the same time on the CD. I've had it confirmed that there are no drum overdubs, you really have to hear it to believe it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement