Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning A Trip To Belfast

• 17-07-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Hello im in the early stages of planning a trip to Belfast.Will i need to change mobile phone operators in Northern Ireland seeing that Meteor don't serve that part of Ireland.Do i need to use the international access code when phoning the republic?Those questions probably sound silly but i have never been north of the border before.Im also wondering how much is the cost of a return bus ticket from Dublin to Europa Bus Station because the information is not on Bus Eireanns website.If anyone has any restaurant and pub recommendations it would be appreciated and i would prefer to avoid places like the Crown Liquer Saloon where all the tourists frequent!Im looking for a more authentic Belfast experience.Is the Golden Mile still the main place for restaurants in the evenings?I was a bit put off visiting the city over that carry on in the city centre over the flag protests a while ago but that was probably just a once off.From what i hear from friends that have moved and visited there they find Belfast to be a very safe city in general.A lot of them actually find it to be nicer than Dublin Cork Limerick etc and other cities in mainland Britain.Im looking forward to finding out for myself.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Hello im in the early stages of planning a trip to Belfast.Will i need to change mobile phone operators in Northern Ireland seeing that Meteor don't serve that part of Ireland.Do i need to use the international access code when phoning the republic?Those questions probably sound silly but i have never been north of the border before.Im also wondering how much is the cost of a return bus ticket from Dublin to Europa Bus Station because the information is not on Bus Eireanns website.If anyone has any restaurant and pub recommendations it would be appreciated and i would prefer to avoid places like the Crown Liquer Saloon where all the tourists frequent!Im looking for a more authentic Belfast experience.Is the Golden Mile still the main place for restaurants in the evenings?I was a bit put off visiting the city over that carry on in the city centre over the flag protests a while ago but that was probably just a once off.From what i hear from friends that have moved and visited there they find Belfast to be a very safe city in general.A lot of them actually find it to be nicer than Dublin Cork Limerick etc and other cities in mainland Britain.Im looking forward to finding out for myself.:)

bus fares
    17.00 : Adult Single
    25.00 : Adult Return
    10.20 : Child Single
    15.00 : Child Return
    13.50 : Student Single
    22.00 : Student Return
    66.00 : Family Return
    15.00 : Child Day Return
    25.00 : Adult Day Return

plenty to see and do in city centre do a quick google search for a few pubs / resturants etc, on mobile not sure on meteor but I think you get messages from other mobile providers giving you rates to use their service .
    nothing wrong with the odd touristy place to visit.. take the red bus tour available from city centre gives a good trip round all parts of the city with commentary .
    just be a bit careful were you end up especially if you plan to do a bit of touring or wandering in city or outskirts

• Registered Users Posts: 4 heavytraffic

I've just moved back to Belfast from the sticks and even I'm finding it hard to keep up with all the changes. I'm not much of a restaurant guy but there are plenty of new ones springing up all the time, try Botanic Avenue or Stranmillis, look up Molly's Yard on Facebook if you want to push the boat out, it's great and they are always advertising their menu specialities. The Cathedral Quarter is a good place for pubs, the best and most popular of which are probably the Duke of York and the John Hewitt. Ten Square, which is across the road from the rear of City Hall, is a busy and friendly pub and a good place to unwind in after a day of shopping or whatever. Try to avoid the far end of what used to be known as the Golden Mile, especially late at night, because it's full of young ones being rowdy, obnoxious, violent or physically sick. For lunch, try something different such as the cafe in the MAC, Belfast's newest theatre space, recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

as ht said Botanic and Stranmillis is coming down with decent places to eat, also try the cathedral quarter, plenty of restaurants/bars popping up around there and a good lively vibe about the place

http://www.thecathedralquarter.com/guide.aspx?title=Eating%20Out&id=3048

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Went up for a day trip this week and went Ice Skating, really enjoyed it.

http://www.theicebowl.com/template1.asp?pid=195&area=1

Advertisement