Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killer Instinct Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

A free-to-play download with additional characters as DLC is actually an intriguing concept. I myself only really play 2-3 characters seriously in a given game, 5-6 at most. To someone like me, that could work out really nicely, but again, it does depend on how they price the characters.

I for one am reserving judgement on the whole Xbox One debacle - we don't know everything and likely won't until nearer the release date, and I just don't care enough to bitch and moan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Looks poo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm certainly not digging this free-to-play idea. From what I can recall the original game had 12 characters. The second one added more (not sure how many, because I didn't play much off it). This sounds like it would be pretty expensive all in all. It's not a road I'd like to see fighting games going down.

Sure, as above, I only play one or two characters, but so do my friends, and when they come round, they're gonna want to play their mains, which may or may be on my console. Also, the learning how to feel with another character's moves in the training room sounds awkward too, as again he'll have to be bought seperately.

Sure in the long ru, it could work out cheaper for some players, but as a whole it sounds like an unnecassary pain in the ass to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

I'd play it

Howeverm, I'd rather be run over then purchase an Xbone atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm certainly not digging this free-to-play idea. From what I can recall the original game had 12 characters. The second one added more (not sure how many, because I didn't play much off it).

Both games had 11 characters. KI2 dropped 4 original chars and added 4 new ones.

• Advertisement

Both games had 11 characters. KI2 dropped 4 original chars and added 4 new ones.

Like I said, I haven't played much of the second game (I had maybe two or three goes of it, then went back to the original). Still though, that's a cast of 15 then, and there's a chance of new characters being chucked in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So Double Helix cleared up a bit of the confusion around KI.

From SRK
    During today’s Killer Instinct exhibition on Mad Catz’ live E3 2013 stream, representatives from Double Helix Games said that the original report saying their game would be strictly free-to-play was a misconception. Killer Instinct will be offered as a complete digital title, but the demo is where things will get interesting.

The trial version will feature Jago as the only playable character, allowing players to try out a limited version of the game. If they want to see more but are still unsure about buying the full game, additional characters, modes, and other features will be available to purchase. This will allow new players to flesh out the demo to fit their needs.

They also announced that Killer Instinct will be made available in various editions, including the standard package, collector’s bundles, and more.

-

So this is almost the perfect sort of FTP type thing (more than 1 character would be better, or a rotating character). You can buy the full game if you want, or you can get the free demo and buy individual pieces as you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sairus wrote: »
    So Double Helix cleared up a bit of the confusion around KI.

From SRK

So this is almost the perfect sort of FTP type thing (more than 1 character would be better, or a rotating character). You can buy the full game if you want, or you can get the free demo and buy individual pieces as you want them.
    Except DoA5:Ultimate will give you 4 starter characters and Versus/Arcade/Training mode for free: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/ultimate/us/home.html#ftp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Except DoA5:Ultimate will give you 4 starter characters and Versus/Arcade/Training mode for free: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/ultimate/us/home.html#ftp

Ah but you've missed a couple crucial issues

1. Killer Instinct is a Next-Gen Title: you want it (Presumably) making 1 character a perfect tease

and 2.
    DOA Is absolute ****ing garbage

Nobody wants this new DOA

So anyway, enough bashing on the silliness game for a bit maybe? Actual discussion! :pac:

After watching some gameplay videos I actually don't hate how it looks to be playing. The visuals themselves are awful, but gameplay doesn't look terrible.

KI is a fairly different fighter in a lot of ways, so here's a primer. I was also talking to one of the Double Helix guys earlier about it and he mentioned some interesting stuff (He also told me it's completely not fun and I should stay away from it :pac: ):

Dashes are slower than walking. Backdashes have about 5f of non-throw invincibility. Saberwulf's forward dash passes through opponents.

Undizzy. A meter under your combo counter will fill up as you combo. Once it fills up, the next non-Super hit you land will cause the opponent to fall down.

Instinct. This works like X-Factor. You build up your Instinct Meter and can then press HP+HK to activate. You can deploy Instinct at any time you're not in the startup, block or whiff of any attack, or are being hit yourself. This means you can deploy it raw, or do an Instinct Cancel mid combo.

Instinct reduces the knockdown meter to 0 and gives character specific boosts:
    Jago gets health regen and longer hitstun/blockstun ( this allows him to do infinite blockstrings with supers every other rep while gaining health back)
    Sabrewulf gets 25% extra dmg and all attacks do chip.

KI's got a pretty interesting and very specific combo system. The basic combo system runs like this:
    Opener (any Special Move) -> Normal -> Linker (Special Move) -> Normal > Linker > etc until Knockdown Meter is almost full > Ender

An Ender is a specific special move each character has. The ender you actually do varies depending on what you did in your combo.

The Normals you can input are split into two types: Autodoubles and Manuals. You can choose any strength normal after a linker and it'll combo as either an AD or a Manual depending on the timing you input it with.

Autodouble: 2 hits, large window to break, adds lots of damage to your ender and lots of knockdown meter
    Manual: basically unreadable for L or M, short window to break, doesn't add as much damage or knockdown meter

Combo Breakers: The opponent can break out of any combo during an Autodouble or a Manual by pressing a Kick+Punch of the same strength as the opponent at the same time. If you successfully break it blows the opponent back. If you guess the wrong strength you can't do another breaker for 3 seconds.

Ultra Combos: These are like Blazblue's Astral Finishes. You can only do them on the final round when the opponent is on low health and they just kill the opponent in a massive, scripted, unbreakable combo.
    If you want to be really obnoxious you can do something like this: Ultra, Instinct cancel, full new combo plus 2 supers because the Ultra gives you meter, then another Ultra and juggles afterward including 2 more supers. You can basically combo the opponent for 30-60 seconds after they're dead.

No Mercy's, Humiliations, etc are not in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz/b/415665332 starts at 1:06

aside from all the XBOne bs, im loving this game and havent been this excited for a fighter since vanilla Marvel 3 back in 2010 when it was revealed. i personally like the visuals and im sure they will look a whole lot better on a HD TV instead of a small PC/Laptop monitor. ive read loads of comments about people complaining about the "Stiffness" of the normal moves on the net but to me this doesn't look too different from SF4 since ive always thought that game looked stiff as hell.

the controls are very SF like as well. L, M and H punches and kicks with L.p + L.k to throw. i defiantly prefer this over the one button throw system in Marvel that leads to so many brain dead option selects. (air throws or dolphin kick/helm breaker/footdive/dive kick etc).

but as ive said... as long as MS have their anti consumer policies, i will not be playing this game :(

Nice to see that they've still got the SF-style control system. They had different names on them way back when (the light was "quick", I believe) but the same gig really. The specials would also vary depending on the button's strength. Stronger the attack button, the further the charge move would travel, or the faster the fireball would be.

Also, dashes are slower than walking?

Also, dashes are slower than walking?
    Yep. It sounds like dashes were probably faster at some point, but as the game developed they were made slower and the characters were made faster until they became silly, but have just been left in.
    </complete speculation>

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭C0unter

i1tsiPxANDaJN.gif
    Needs more sparks.

i wouldn't normally post videos from Max but this vid contains the highest level of the new KI i've seen so far. good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2gen wrote: »

i wouldn't normally post videos from Max but this vid contains the highest level of the new KI i've seen so far. good stuff.
    This game looks shakier than Vanilla SF4 :rolleyes:

Only getting the chance to watch that video now. That Ultra Combo is pretty damn cool! Also, another character to be announced at Evo, they say. Who are we reckoning? I'd like to see someone really ricockulous like Fulgore or Spinal, but I'd imagine it'll be Chief Thunder, TJ. Combo, or Orchid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'd like to see someone really ricockulous like Fulgore or Spinal, but I'd imagine it'll be Chief Thunder, TJ. Combo, or Orchid.

Not sure what the new devs opinions are on Chief Thunder, Riptor and Cinder, since those three were dropped between KI and KI2.

Since this all happened before the days of the internet, I never really knew why.

I want to see Fulgore back. He was always my favourite thinly veiled Predator rip-off, and it was the sound of his fatality reverberating across the arcade that drew me to the machine.

Yeah!

I believe they've done away with fatalities altogether this time round though. I was actually jamming on the original least weekend on SNES, and the fatalities were always bad, but they really haven't aged well.

I'd rather see Riptor and Cinder return than those boring caveman-style characters from the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd rather see Riptor and Cinder return than those boring caveman-style characters from the second game.

This x 1000.

The new characters in KI2 were dull as hell.

• Advertisement

I'll watch that later when I get the chance. As fart as new stages go though, of it's not one where you can push your opponent off the edge during your Ultra then I really couldn't care what goes on behind the fights.

first footage of Glacius and his stage. awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

How can you look at that glacius model and say this game is good?!

Ramza wrote: »
    This. So much ****ing this.

Glacius looks god damn awesome in KI1+2. What the hell is this ****?

Ramza wrote: »
    Sairus wrote: »
    This. So much ****ing this.

Glacius looks god damn awesome in KI1+2. What the hell is this ****?

in fairness, you can't judge a game (especially a fighting game) on its looks alone. it would be unfair to bash SF4 due to the "chunky" character models since we all know the game may be the best made fighter in the last 10 years. i personally hate how the character models look in the game.
    i guess i'm a part of the minority here but i do like the updated looks of the classic characters in the game so far. im not saying i prefer them over the old looks.

what i do like about this new design is the fact they made him bigger than the average character. this would mean hitboxes on him will be different unlike the classic games where all the fighters were the same size meaning you didnt have to adjust your combos on specific fighters (such as in SF4 and Marvel). i also like how he still has his classic moves such as the shoulder charge and the rising uppercut but now has new moves that would put him in the category of a zoning character. in the classic game everyone was a rush down character. if you tried to zone you would get a windkick to the face from full screen resulting in big damage.

im a fan of the KI 1 myself but i do appreciate what they are trying to do with the game. anyway, from reviews by people who played the game (not just Max alone) they seemed pretty excited from their time playing it. all we can do now is just wait and see how things turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

2gen wrote: »
    it would be unfair to bash SF4 due to the "chunky" character models since we all know the game may be the best made fighter in the last 10 years.

all the fighters were the same size meaning you didnt have to adjust your combos on specific fighters

in the classic game everyone was a rush down character. if you tried to zone you would get a windkick to the face from full screen resulting in big damage.

Yeah, but at least SF4 keeps the integral character design and doesn't **** with it, Glacius looks nothing like he does in KI1 or 2. Like, nothing. If they're gonna make such drastic changes like that, they should change the game name cause the end result wont be KI (by the looks of it now, it's looking that way)

That's not true ? In no SF game or any FG to my knowledge are all hitboxes the same for every char

Actually, it's the direct opposite. In the classic game, everyone was a turtle, in med-high level play. There was 0 rushdown, or very little. You had to zone. And be patient and calculated. You couldn't jump in on someone or you would be AA into a ground mixup for half your health. There was no safe go to specials or any moves to assist your offence. You had to rely on barebone strats. High level KI is ANTI RUSHDOWN, like, extremely, combo breakers are eliminated from the game, people used unbreakable combos that start off lows/pokes, so the game was very footsie/zone heavy. No one did reckless rush down stuff or full screen windkicks The high level KI metagame eliminates so many mechanics, no one does linkers/auto doubles, no breakers, rarely any fireballs, just footsies and inbreakable combos and overheads.

In fact, glacius was the biggest turtle in the game. He is ridiculously good, has insane stun, and one of the best unbreakables and pokes in the game. He's the least rush orientated char in the game. High level KI was rly ****ed up that way, orchid/cinder/glacius/combo dominated that game.

I think the new game looks odd. The mechanics are odd. The breaker system is ridiculous. The combos are stupid. Chars look silly and SPARKS. Damn this game is ugly

Even so the game looks ass. Mechanic wise mainly. Gonna be a **** flop, watch this space

alright. i've never seen high level play before and also when i played the game i was like 9/10 so i didnt play it competitively. so i was just recalling my own memories of the game.

anyway, i don't feel its necessary to worry too much about the characters's looks since im sure they will do DLC alt costumes like how NRS did it for MK9 (all the ninjas getting their retro MK1/MK2 looks).

all i have to say is dont loose all hope until you try it out when the game is released... that is if you're willing to.

It's late. I'm tired and all fightered out after watching the MK Evo tourney, so I haven't really read the last few posts. Quick question though- who swapped KI's walking freezer-bag for one of Resident's Evil 5's Regenerators while I wasn't looking?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol, Michael Baycius!

Advertisement