Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey

• 12-05-2012 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Marian Price has been in jail for nearly a year now after her appearance at an Easter commemoration last year in which she held a piece of paper which a masked person read from.

This was the central reason cited for revoking her license despite the fact that she received a royal pardon for her acts in relation to the Old Bailey bombing. The pardon has mysteriously disappeared, the NIO can't find it - fed to the shredder no doubt.

The charges stemming from the commemoration have been dismissed.

Marian has been held in shocking conditions, you don't have to take my word for it;

birwletter.jpg

Her health has now deteriorated to such an extent that she cannot make court appearances (such as to see the charges dismissed) or even appear via video link.

In 2009 she was questioned over the Massarene barracks attack. After the Secretary of State had her jailed (over 2 years later) she was charged with providing them with a mobile phone despite no new evidence coming out in the meantime. This charge is in my opinion simply to make her internment look more legitimate, otherwise they would not have waited so long to charge her. Even so due to her royal pardon she was not out on license, thus no license to revoke.

Perhaps the most important aspect of this whole situation is the fact that it is propaganda gold for anti GFA republicans. Her unjust incarceration is generating far more sympathy and support for their politics than any amount of commemorations. SFs message to nationalists in the north is that things are different today, the injustices of the past are gone and replaced by a shared future.

Marian Prices internment on the word of the British Secretary of State fundamentally shakes that assertion.

Also Martin Corey.

Some might have noticed that he was released on compassionate grounds to attend his brothers funeral on condition he was accompanied by two senior SF figures.
    Corey released to attend brother’s funeral

Published on Friday 25 May 2012 10:26

LURGAN republican Martin Corey was allowed temporary release to attend his brother’s funeral on Thursday after originally being barred from doing so.

http://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/local/corey-released-to-attend-brother-s-funeral-1-3882130

Martin Corey's imprisonment is in my opinion the greatest injustice of the post GFA era. He was imprisoned for life for killing two RUC men and spent twenty years behind bars, he was released in 1992.

However in 2010 the Brit Secretary of State revoked his license, why? Here's the kicker, he won't say. Merely said it was "closed material". This means that Martin can't appeal to get the decision judicially reviewed because he doesn't know why he is in jail. No charges, nothing.

This is a disgraceful violation of his human rights. Human rights are universal, otherwise they mean nothing, they can't be applied selectively.

Is a despicable situation where a man can be imprisoned and not even a reason given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

It is not internment. The Secretary of State revoked her release licence. End of/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

It is not internment. The Secretary of State revoked her release licence. End of/
    Guess you didn't even read what I wrote, its not as simple as that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wanted to find out more about Kadar Asmal MP, I assumed he was in Westminster

But seems he is South African and died last year.
    Is that the same person?
    Why is the sponsor a deceased person, just find that strange, that's all

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I wanted to find out more about Kadar Asmal MP, I assumed he was in Westminster

But seems he is South African and died last year.
    Is that the same person?
    Why is the sponsor a deceased person, just find that strange, that's all

http://www.birw.org/aboutus.html

BIRW has been around for a good while, he was one of their main sponsors.

Guess you didn't even read what I wrote, its not as simple as that...

You said "don't take me at my word"

So I don't

• Advertisement

You said "don't take me at my word"

So I don't
    So I'm a liar?

If so please show where I've got my facts wrong... Perhaps I dreamed up the whole pardon thing, or imagined her being sent to jail for holding a piece of paper, or made up the fact that all the while she has been in jail she has technically been on bail, as in she isn't regarded by the judges as being a big enough threat to warrant incarceration until trial. Jayzus.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

This is not internment at all, she is a violent criminal who was released on licence which the UK government had every right to recall. Lets remember that she advocates the murder of UK citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Just MY opinion, but with a name like Fenian Army I find myself wanting to disagree with anything you say.

donalh087 wrote: »
    Just MY opinion, but with a name like Fenian Army I find myself wanting to disagree with anything you say.

Some people really don't like Paddy McCourt!

Its tongue in cheek.

Not that whatever handle I use matters.

The UK government needs to do what the Southern Ireland one does; lock up for eight years anyone who the security forces have a strong sense that they are in Republican terrorist organizations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

This is not internment at all, she is a violent criminal who was released on licence which the UK government had every right to recall. Lets remember that she advocates the murder of UK citizens.
    Aren't their extremist Muslims advocating the murder of UK citizens i.e. the British army in Afghanistan etc but their not in prison ??

Aren't their extremist Muslims advocating the murder of UK citizens i.e. the British army in Afghanistan etc but their not in prison ??

WOW!

I myself fully support the right of the Afghans to fight back against the unjust invasion of their country; there is a HUGE difference between doing that and advocating the murder of ordinary police at home in the UK, a massive difference.

So I'm a liar?

If so please show where I've got my facts wrong... Perhaps I dreamed up the whole pardon thing, or imagined her being sent to jail for holding a piece of paper, or made up the fact that all the while she has been in jail she has technically been on bail, as in she isn't regarded by the judges as being a big enough threat to warrant incarceration until trial. Jayzus.

Heh, no, I did not mention lying at all, I just don't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

marians continued internment exposes the reality of the gfa. the north is british controlled and when the carrot doesnt work they will always resort to stick.

the complete failure of mainstrem nationalism to have any bearing on her situation has exposed totally the role of stormont, its nothing more then a big britsh county council, totally controled and answerable to westminster.

not long ago was the anniversary of bobby sands, how ironic that we still have irish seperatits being abused in britsh gaols only now with the blessing of some of his former comrades.

as usual the use of gaol will only serve to highlight british injustice in ireland and the tretment of people like marian will be seen as proof that there can never be british justice in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The O.P. mentions the deterioration it her health. Was she not released in 1980 because she was at deaths door? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

marians continued internment exposes the reality of the gfa. the north is british controlled and when the carrot doesnt work they will always resort to stick.

the complete failure of mainstrem nationalism to have any bearing on her situation has exposed totally the role of stormont, its nothing more then a big britsh county council, totally controled and answerable to westminster.

not long ago was the anniversary of bobby sands, how ironic that we still have irish seperatits being abused in britsh gaols only now with the blessing of some of his former comrades.

as usual the use of gaol will only serve to highlight british injustice in ireland and the tretment of people like marian will be seen as proof that there can never be british justice in ireland.

I would hazard a guess and say the reason mainstream nationalism is not bringing up her case us because she blatantly broke the terms of her release and her licence has been revoked.

She has become an embarrassment.

I would hazard a guess and say the reason mainstream nationalism is not bringing up her case us because she blatantly broke the terms of her release and her licence has been revoked.

"Mainstream nationalism"?

SF have brought up her case numerous times. Even the stoops have.

How can she have had her license revoked when she was never released on license? She was pardoned. The Brits have mysteriously lost the document, as I understand it it is the first time in a very very very long time they have lost a pardon.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/22947
    http://www.derrysinnfein.ie/news/21433
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/21871
    http://www.sdlp.ie/index.php/newsroom_media/newsarticle/ramsey_presses_justice_minister_to_release_marian_price/

That said she is not happy with SF to say the least and has refused to meet with their reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

She was being held because she held a piece of paper. That was thrown out of court, now they refuse to release her because she may support a group that may have been involved in Massarene... Its ludicrous! The only people befitting from this is the dissidents who have had record turnouts at their rallies lately because people want to show support for Marian.

SDLP made a statement today: "SDLP justice spokesman Alban Maginness has accused the secretary of state of interning dissident republican Marion Price without trial."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18049635

IMO Sinn Fein haven't done enough to help her. She was arrested along with Gerry Kelly but he seems to have forgotten that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

She was being held because she held a piece of paper. That was thrown out of court, now they refuse to release her because she may support a group that may have been involved in Massarene... Its ludicrous! The only people befitting from this is the dissidents who have had record turnouts at their rallies lately because people want to show support for Marian.

SDLP made a statement today: "SDLP justice spokesman Alban Maginness has accused the secretary of state of interning dissident republican Marion Price without trial."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18049635

IMO Sinn Fein haven't done enough to help her. She was arrested along with Gerry Kelly but he seems to have forgotten that.
    Appearently SF went to visit her in prison and she refused to meet them. Hard to help someone when they refuse to meet you ?? Seems to be more about the RIRA trying to score points against their old friends PIRA.

Marian Price 'refuses to meet Sinn Fein' during prison visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17372086

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Just to be clear the charges relating to her holding the speech have been dropped. She is however also charged with providing a phone for use in the March 09 attack on Massereene barracks

I still think its politically motivated. Particularly despicable is they are dragging it out because they know the charge won't likely stick. A somewhat trailblazing judge called them out on this the other day and its thrown a cat among the pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

"Mainstream nationalism"?

SF have brought up her case numerous times. Even the stoops have.

How can she have had her license revoked when she was never released on license? She was pardoned. The Brits have mysteriously lost the document, as I understand it it is the first time in a very very very long time they have lost a pardon.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/22947
    http://www.derrysinnfein.ie/news/21433
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/21871
    http://www.sdlp.ie/index.php/newsroom_media/newsarticle/ramsey_presses_justice_minister_to_release_marian_price/

That said she is not happy with SF to say the least and has refused to meet with their reps.

Why are SF interested in helping 'The enemies of the island of Ireland' as Marty termed the likes of Marian Price? Or was that just bull sh*t for UK politico consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

to psf shame it was a stoop that has been more vocal on marians case. psf dragged their feet,and their complete inability to have any impact on her situation other then a few media soundbites and "taking it up" with their bosses in westminster show that far from putting manners on the ruc they can do nothing.

she is an embarrassment alright, her case is an embarrassemnet to former former repbulicans that now support the police and law that is treating her(and others) in this way.

the message from london is simple........tow the line or you'll be harried,harrassed,gaoled,framed and interened.............soon it'll be back to executions.

no british justice in ireland.

Appearently SF went to visit her in prison and she refused to meet them. Hard to help someone when they refuse to meet you ?? Seems to be more about the RIRA trying to score points against their old friends PIRA.

Marian Price 'refuses to meet Sinn Fein' during prison visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17372086

That was 2 months ago. She has been internet for 12 months now!
    They said Price had refused to meet them, but that they had met with prison officials and inspected "her living conditions".

She is being held without charge, against the GFA and the best they could do is inspect her living conditions. They should pull out all the stops to get her released immediately and ensure that no one can interfere with the justice system in this way again.

Sinn Fein had more to say about the treatment of drug dealers and paedophiles in Derry a few weeks ago.
    When it comes to defending the rights of a persecuted former comrade their silence is deafening!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Marian has been held in shocking conditions, you don't have to take my word for it;

birwletter.jpg

Was Kader Asmal ever an MP as this document suggests he was? He was an Irish citizen for years before returning to South Africa. I very much doubt if he was ever a member of the British parliament.

And if they're calling a member of the South African government an "MP" then it's a little bit misleading. Quite apart from the fact that he's dead of course.

:confused:

Madd Finn wrote: »
    Was Kader Asmal ever an MP as this document suggests he was? He was an Irish citizen for years before returning to South Africa. I very much doubt if he was ever a member of the British parliament.

And if they're calling a member of the South African government an "MP" then it's a little bit misleading. Quite apart from the fact that he's dead of course.

:confused:

Its a title. Obama can still be called President Obama outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I in no way support her put she shouldn't be in jail

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

If the reason for her initial detention turned out to be pardoned by the Crown, they there was no justification for her future detention. There is no licence to revoke.

She was not convicted for the charges that lead to her arrest

What is the legal basis for her detention? Why has the legality of the detention not being challenged?

What ever she says and does, it does not justify your attitude to detaining them without due process and or picking the correct legal basis for such detention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

That was 2 months ago. She has been internet for 12 months now!

She refused to meet with them. End of Story. What is her legal team doing? They are the only important people in the story.

She is being held without charge, against the GFA

GFA says nothing of the sort.

Your laws of the land prohibits being held in detention without charge, habeas corpus proceedings are usually available
    and the best they could do is inspect her living conditions.
    They should pull out all the stops to get her released immediately

So she can continue to try and ignore the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement by ranting and raving about a war that no one wants and it against what the politicians have worked for?

Get real, this is a matter for the Courts.
    and ensure that no one can interfere with the justice system in this way again.

What are you talking about. You have just suggested that a political party should put out all the stops in getting her out. What would that entail? Publicity campaign, paying lawyers , what?

Is that interfering with the justice system?

• Advertisement

Get real, this is a matter for the Courts.
    What are you talking about. You have just suggested that a political party should put out all the stops in getting her out. What would that entail? Publicity campaign, paying lawyers , what?

Is that interfering with the justice system?

The courts already freed her. A politician intervened to keep her locked up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement