Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had my lowest recorded reading today of 2.1, I was just wondering how low other people have actually gone and when does it get really dangerous? I think i have probably been lower as I had a few bad hypos in work around christmas but never had my monitor with me but they did feel worse than this.

I have went under one and in my youth often got LO as a reading (meaning too low to read). When it gets dangerous is different person to person, event to event. I have been 1.0 and in complete control (sometimes you think you are and your not so beware of that) but other times I have been 3.0 and unable to walk or talk coherently
    tbh wrote: »
    it's a simple blood test. In the old (really old!) days, you would pee into a bowl and the doc would drink it ;) but thankfully it's quicker and more efficient these days.

The classic taste test :P
    I've had a splitting headache all day too, my wife and kids took the opportunity to have some fun at my expense by piling every bit of crap they could find in the sitting room on top of me and taking pictures as I lay on the couch waiting for my lucozade tablets to kick in. Apparently it was great craic!

My flatmate couldn't tell people what was wrong with me in the shop because he was laughing so hard, I eventually got to the fridge for a lucozade while doing the walk/dance from the beginning of Forest Gump.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have went under one and in my youth often got LO as a reading (meaning too low to read). When it gets dangerous is different person to person, event to event. I have been 1.0 and in complete control (sometimes you think you are and your not so beware of that) but other times I have been 3.0 and unable to walk or talk coherently
    Have had a few LO reading previously.

The meters are not that accurate though and just because it says 1.9 does not mean it's 1.9. I've done some comparisons between a couple of meters and found then giving near quite different readings, and not always different in the same direction either. Some ends of the range one would be higher, other end the other meter would be higher.

robinph wrote: »
    Have had a few LO reading previously.

The meters are not that accurate though and just because it says 1.9 does not mean it's 1.9. I've done some comparisons between a couple of meters and found then giving near quite different readings, and not always different in the same direction either. Some ends of the range one would be higher, other end the other meter would be higher.

I know, even the same machine seconds apart can give incredibly different readings, its a combination of many factors from the inaccuracy of the technology(best that can be got at that scale/cost/size etc), poor circulation in the finger tips(milking the fingers supposedly helps but I haven't bothered in years), non sterile conditions (use alcohol wipes and let them dry) and then some etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

tbh wrote: »
    Classic symptoms: Unbearable thirst, constant need to pee, extreme tiredness, bad breath, blurry vision and eventually, collapse and coma.

you'd have to go to your doc to get checked bob. I will say that I couldn't have coped with the thirst (and the urination) for several years, and if your blood sugar is climbing constantly for several years I don't think you'd last, but if the thirst is that bad that it's affecting your quality of life, then get it checked out.
    I got diagnosed at a medical for a job. I was home for the weekend and was working on the farm. Bacon and cabbage for dinner(:D) and out for a few pints. Woke up with a thirst and put it down to a hangover. On monday i put it down to the bacon being salty but drinking huge ammounts of water and going to the loo every 2 hours. On wednesday i had the medical and they wouldnt let me leave the office to put a parking ticket on the car, just rushed off to hospital straight away in an ambulance.

But i had 2 or 3 glucose tolerance tests in the years before as i had symptoms of tiredness and getting up to go to the toilet but in about 4 month cycles. Of course i only went to the doc when the symptoms were clearing:rolleyes: and my glucose metabolism recovered before the GTT

So i suppose i was diabetic for less than a week before being diagnosed so i missed all those symptoms:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Accidentally gave myself double dose of lantus last night - I always tell my husband when I am giving my lantus but there was a mix up last night - had a bad low. Ended up crying over my mother as I was coming round who is recieving hospice care at the moment - our 2 week old daugher heard me being ill. As I was waking up more my first words were how is Helen (our daugher). Still a bit shaken up by the bad low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Accidentally gave myself double dose of lantus last night - I always tell my husband when I am giving my lantus but there was a mix up last night - had a bad low. Ended up crying over my mother as I was coming round who is recieving hospice care at the moment - our 2 week old daugher heard me being ill. As I was waking up more my first words were how is Helen (our daugher). Still a bit shaken up by the bad low.

Hey Cathy, congrats on the baby! Hope all went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always hear about peoples reactions to a low and feel very lucky. I get very very hungry, so no matter how low and confused I get I always end up sitting on the kitchen floor eating jam with a spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Congradulations on your baby girl Cathy!

This sounds like an odd one - I am expressing milk for at least one feed a day for our son but am finding that it is affecing my blood sugars - how did any other diabeic mummies cope? I would like to get up to feeding her fully by myself by the time she gets to 6 weeks (she is on premie milk for her other feeds at the moment but she is feeding and growing great, she was just over 5lb when she was born and has passed that in two weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A friend of mine told me the babies of type 1 parents are often heavier than average, any truth to this?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    A friend of mine told me the babies of type 1 parents are often heavier than average, any truth to this?

There are a few studies that indicate but don't show with great significance that this may be the case, so far the general consensus is glucose control in the first trimester or pre-pregnancy that is the biggest indicative factor than control during the later stages of pregnancy itself.

All the sample studies do show a slight gain over the average population but nothing to be concerned about and as many people will tell you, statistics only tell the story the scientist wanted you to hear in the first place.

Several theories offered up but it would take an age to go through them.

kowloon wrote: »
    I am a type 1 and both of my children have been on the small side - my son was only 4lb 11oz and his sister was 5lb 3oz, both very small babies. Both were plannned and I kept my blood sugars low (5.8) preconception. Will be wierd not having to keep them as low though it is hard to break out of it - during the pregnancies I was keeping my blood sugars at 4.8, it was a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Congratulations and best wishes! They grow up so fast - make sure you get all the cuddles you can :D

This sounds like an odd one - I am expressing milk for at least one feed a day for our son but am finding that it is affecing my blood sugars - how did any other diabeic mummies cope? I would like to get up to feeding her fully by myself by the time she gets to 6 weeks (she is on premie milk for her other feeds at the moment but she is feeding and growing great, she was just over 5lb when she was born and has passed that in two weeks).

I had my first in the US and the diabetes educators always made sure that I knew to have a fast acting carb & a snack beside me when I was nursing because it does bring your sugars down and can do quiet quickly.

I don't know if I was told that again with my second but I knew it anyway. Oh lord - I think I'm getting broody:eek:

grafynn - thanks about that, it does tend to mess up my blood sugars a bit but it is worth it her getting food from me. I am broody too but my husband and I have agreed that she is our final child - chidren are amazing!

grafynn - thanks about that, it does tend to mess up my blood sugars a bit but it is worth it her getting food from me. I am broody too but my husband and I have agreed that she is our final child - chidren are amazing!

Congtrats on the (final) baby, agree with you on the breast feeding, I was bottle fed and remind my mother thats probably why I'm a Diabetic :pac:

Hope the bloods smooth out soon, sorry to hear about the LO the other day, still freaks me out pretty bad whenever that happens to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Last repeat prescription came through with a stamp on it by the receptionist, or whoever processes them, saying I needed to see the GP. So today I went along to the GP, sat down, he looked at me quizzically and asked what he could do for me, I looked at him quizzically and asked what he wanted to see me for. :)

He had a look through his system and made an exasperated sound about me having been called in for an appointment just because I'd ordered a Beconase which I'd not ordered from that GP surgery before so it was flagged to the people who process the repeats to call me in. So he was then very apologetic about having wasted my time.

He changed a few flags on the repeats system so that I'd not get called back for those items until something like 2015 I think, and I managed to get him to up how many test strips I can get at a time.

We then ended up talking about running and marathon and I think I may have upset him a little bit when I said I'd got an automatic entry for London next year as his best ever time was 30 seconds outside that cut off time. :D

I've no problem getting called in to see the GP as I don't have to pay him for it, sorry, but it made me feel even better about the wasted time from seeing the look on his face when talking about the times I've done. :D:D

my husband and I have agreed that she is our final child

That's what I said too... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was just browsing p.ie (as one does in a quiet desperate moment) and I spotted http://www.politics.ie/4023127-post12.html anyone know if there is any truth in this?

mike65 wrote: »
    Was just browsing p.ie (as one does in a quiet desperate moment) and I spotted http://www.politics.ie/4023127-post12.html anyone know if there is any truth in this?
    :eek::eek:. Thanks Mike65. I must order on monday as getting a bit low but will get 2 months supply now.

I'd imagine it will get sorted out quickly though

• Advertisement

Had a bad low blood sugar this morning again, got the news that my mother had died last night so my emotions have been all over the place, will reduce my lantus tonight though, it is going to be a tough few days. Has anyone else found that extreme emotions can cause big fluctuations in blood sugars, as you can imagine I am not having an easy time of things right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sorry to hear about your mum Cathy. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Sorry to hear about your mum Cathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Had a bad low blood sugar this morning again, got the news that my mother had died last night so my emotions have been all over the place, will reduce my lantus tonight though, it is going to be a tough few days. Has anyone else found that extreme emotions can cause big fluctuations in blood sugars, as you can imagine I am not having an easy time of things right now.

First my commiserations on your mothers passing.

When mine died 4 years ago my readings went up a lot and its not like I was eating more as I was eating less for a few days. Stress definitely pushes my the blood sugars up by a few points average easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Sorry to hear about your Mum Cathy.

Sorry to hear of your loss cathy. My sympathies to you and shane and the family

Condolences Cathy, hope your holding together OK.
    Has anyone else found that extreme emotions can cause big fluctuations in blood sugars, as you can imagine I am not having an easy time of things right now.

I have found that if I get very emotional I suffer extreme hypos which as you can imagine makes dealing with whatever the issue/emotion at the time quite difficult.

A quick question on insulin sensitivity for the ART posters on the thread. I do quite a bit of cycling and always find improved insulin sensitivity for the day (I only need Lantus for the day on a long spin) but obviously as my fitness levels slowly grow the effects don't last as long afterwards due to the fact that overall I am on less Insulin or that the effect is becoming semi permanent.

This week I went for my first run in a long long time as a joking bet, legs are still sore but it is know a couple of days after and i am still feeling the effects. I presume its because of different muscle groups improving their sensitivity but I was wondering does this happen to others and for how long. Getting very paranoid at work about having a hypo, freaking out a little even, that said my hypo notice seems to have shot through the roof anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Yesterday was my only day off work this week. I woke at 7.00am with a reading of 4.1 which I would class as the beginning of a hypo, took a bit of corrective action with lucozade tablets. Dident feel too great after that start to the day. Went into town and at about 12.00pm started feeling really low, got a bun in M&S, dident do the trick, had to stop at a shop and got a can of lucozade which brought me round. Had to lye on the couch for a while feeling tired and crap. Felt a bit strange at about 5.00pm, checked my blood, 4.1 again, took a lucozade tablet, still felt a bit strange, checked my blood again 2.4, took 2 more tablets, felt really shaky and dizzy, checked my blood again, 1.3, my lowest ever reading, 2 more tablets and it started to rise. Felt like complete **** all evening and went to bed exhausted. Up this morning feeling fine and off to work again!!!

• Advertisement

^^^ any ideas what happened, double dosing on the long term?

Advertisement