Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best beer for no hangover

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Hoegaarden, Guinness = No hangovers

Heineken, Leffe = tolerable next morning

Jupiler, Stella, Grolsch = Dry salty tongue and pounding headache

Budweiser, Coors, Miller = A life less ordinary for days afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

The best beers for lack of hangover imo are Coopers Pale Ale and Windhoek Lager. I could drink them all night and be ok the next day.

The big name draught beers here are killers though. Heineken etc. are pure murder on the head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Guinness Extra Stout, Guinness Draught (from a pub), Budvar & erdinger = Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

upmeath wrote: »
    Hoegaarden, Guinness = No hangovers

Jupiler, Stella, Grolsch = Dry salty tongue and pounding headache

I never forget that Jupiler beer when I lived in Belgium.Four or five glasses of the stuff and you'd wake up with a head like a mad man's ar*e.And its not even that strong like other Belgium beers,its only 5.2%.There was another Pils which is even worse than Juplier for hangovers called Maes Pils and that's only 4.9%.In general if you want to avoid hangover's stay clear of the Belgium beers.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

PWEI wrote: »
    n general if you want to avoid hangover's stay clear of the Belgium beers.:rolleyes:

you mean standard mass produce lager, don't judge all there beer by a generic euro lager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As we all know low-alcohol and alcohol-free beers are just as bad for hangovers.

The brothers may want to cover their eyes but knowing about this might just stop you or a loved one being tempted to stray from the true path.

Low alcohol beer can be made by taking sweet, sweet beer and ruining it. Mainly by vacuum distillation and vaporisation or reverse osmosis through semi-permeable membranes or dialysis (yes they do take the piss). All of these techniques remove God's gift of alcohol more efficiently than they remove the higher alcohols and fusil oils and aldehydes and other things that are pure hangover juice. Bad and all as it is at least they save the alcohol, others use enzymes to break down the ethanol :(

Some of these near beers are produced using yeasts which create little alcohol :eek:, messing with nature there - is nothing sacred ! , or the fermentation is cut short, like those brewers should be.

oblivious wrote: »
    you mean standard mass produce lager, don't judge all there beer by a generic euro lager

No I don't mean euro lager,I meant Belgium beers,thats what I said.
    I sampled enough of their beer and the hangovers they cause when I lived there and its not just some of the Pils which can hardly be described as euro larger.Sure stella maybe but I don't see too many six packs of Jupiler pils down the offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Good thread!

How about

Brama?
    Carlsberg I imagine is poor?
    Staropramen?
    Tyskie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

No I don't mean euro lager,I meant Belgium beers,thats what I said.

Belgium lager, nothing like their ale's an there is a big differ in alcohol strength between a 4-5% lager and a quadruple 12% ale
    Sure stella maybe but I don't see too many six packs of Jupiler pils down the offie.

That because Inbev is pushing one type of lager here and in the uk,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Lol at all this crap about preservatives etc.

There're preservatives and additives in just about every food or drink we consume, so why is it that you don't get hangovers from more things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

I know what is the worst, the Franciscian Well Red ale thats sold in the Gingerman (Rebel Red), over 4/3 years drinking it occassionally from there can safely say it isn't cos i drink to much of it
    ps can only say for the gingerman only had it in one other place apart from that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never forget that Jupiler beer when I lived in Belgium.Four or five glasses of the stuff and you'd wake up with a head like a mad man's ar*e.And its not even that strong like other Belgium beers,its only 5.2%.There was another Pils which is even worse than Juplier for hangovers called Maes Pils and that's only 4.9%.In general if you want to avoid hangover's stay clear of the Belgium beers.:rolleyes:

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a long time.
    It's a bit like going to France, eating only easi singles and then declaring that French cheese is rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In my experience, if you drink a beer you're used to you're less likely to get a hangover. If you change much you will. So experiment often when you're young to find which one you like most and drink a lot of it thereafter. Of course, I don't follow that advice myself :)

That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've read in a long time.
    It's a bit like going to France, eating only easi singles and then declaring that French cheese is rubbish!

Just my opinion, you have yours and I have mine.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jdivision wrote: »
    In my experience, if you drink a beer you're used to you're less likely to get a hangover.

I've noticed that too. I sort of grew up drinking Fosters :) so generally don't get a hangover from that.

I've also noticed if I drink regularly (e.g. every day or second day) I don't really get hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

I used to drink all those lagers but after 20 years i discovered the pint bottle of guinness, the aul lads drink.i can drink 8 and wake up brand new.no hangover.just dont mix it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

will you give up with the roll eyes.
    it's just smarmy and smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

My point is that it is an ill-informed opinion.

You've spoken only of drinking mass produced Belgian lager but then go and tar all Belgian beer with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

In my experience, if you drink a beer you're used to you're less likely to get a hangover. If you change much you will. So experiment often when you're young to find which one you like most and drink a lot of it thereafter. Of course, I don't follow that advice myself :)

I whole heartedly 100% endorse this method. Absolutely. There at the weekend I had Guinness but also had a budvar and an Erdinger (which I never drank before) and I had a rotten hang over.

If I had of stuck to the guinness I could've put a good few of em away fairly comfortably.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    will you give up with the roll eyes.
    it's just smarmy and smug.

I've noticed that on a lot of forums. It's a smirk rather than a roll eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

My point is that it is an ill-informed opinion.

You've spoken only of drinking mass produced Belgian lager but then go and tar all Belgian beer with the same brush.

I have been to Belgium a few times and even took in a beer festival which was a very wide range of beers on offer and those hangovers have to be my worst ever. Now a half glass too many certainly had more to do with it :) but I felt the Irish body wasn't made for some of the stuff, at least mine.

German beers I found great for a lack of hangover and Czech beers were even better.

Here I find Guinness in a good pub seldom gives a hangover but I have to agree with other posts -it's very much how your own body handles certain beers, each to their own favs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Locamon wrote: »
    I felt the Irish body wasn't made for some of the stuff, at least mine.
    Irish people tend not to have any problems with wine, which is usually stronger than Belgian beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Coors Light is a killer, needless to say have stayed away from it for a long long time now!

Brgds
    Johnny

I disagree.
    I find Coors light the best beer to drink if you have to do stuff in the morning. I don't have any hangover after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I used to get woeful hangovers from Heineken and vodka. Guinness doesn't have anywhere near the same effect.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Irish people tend not to have any problems with wine, which is usually stronger than Belgian beer.

Yeah it's interesting, I can drink whiskey or wine with little or no hangover :) but that Belgian beer was a killer, great tasting stuff but body suffered big time the next day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

The great thing about beer is the amazing variety out there to try. Sticking to the same one would be an awful shame!!!

Locamon wrote: »
    I have been to Belgium a few times and even took in a beer festival which was a very wide range of beers on offer and those hangovers have to be my worst ever. Now a half glass too many certainly had more to do with it :) but I felt the Irish body wasn't made for some of the stuff, at least mine.

German beers I found great for a lack of hangover and Czech beers were even better.

Here I find Guinness in a good pub seldom gives a hangover but I have to agree with other posts -it's very much how your own body handles certain beers, each to their own favs.

If you get plastered on anything you can expect a hangover!
    People who drink stronger beer are often not used to it and drink far too much of it cause they find they like the taste!
    If you drank wine by the pint or spirits by the wine glass you'd soon find yourself hungover too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

guinness never gives me a hangover but lagers do. i had a rake of carlsberg on saturday night and woke up on sunday morning with a killer beeriod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I've also noticed if I drink regularly (e.g. every day or second day) I don't really get hangovers.

i like your thinkin :D

• Advertisement

If you get plastered on anything you can expect a hangover!
    People who drink stronger beer are often not used to it and drink far too much of it cause they find they like the taste!
    If you drank wine by the pint or spirits by the wine glass you'd soon find yourself hungover too.

wooow...I said a half glass too many not plastered :D it's all about units not the volume...so the doc tells me:pac:

Advertisement