Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 southbound traffic to Shankill

• 29-03-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am viewing properties in the Tallaght, Dundrum, Rathfarnham or areas close to that for work starting in Shankhill. I was wondering what the traffic was like @8am onwards during weekdays. Cant seem to find a post hat is recent.

Thanks in advance

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Hi,

I am viewing properties in the Tallaght, Dundrum, Rathfarnham or areas close to that for work starting in Shankhill. I was wondering what the traffic was like @8am onwards during weekdays. Cant seem to find a post hat is recent.

Thanks in advance

John

It's a year since I've done it, but given the upturn it can be taken that it has increased. Sticky between the Tallaght exit and Dundrum was invariably my own experience. To get the accurate view of it, I used to regularly listen to the excellent Live Drive on Dublin City 103.2. Strongly recommended and bang up to date, much better indicator of the M50 traffic than any hearsay could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭-jellybelly-

If you put in a destination and start point in google maps it now lets you put in what day and time your doing the trip. It uses average times to give you a good idea of traffic which is colour coded to show where its usually bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I usually enter the M50 at firhouse or tallaght to exit at Ballinteer. Traffic starts getting very busy from 07:30 and I would imagine it would be even busier from 8am. Going home in the evening I find it is very busy at 16:30 - and sometimes extremly slow at that hour if there is an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnnyCache

Thanks for the feedback guys, i guess i will have to do a dummy run to confirm it. but i will listen to Live Drive on Dublin City 103.2 in the morning and see. I was checking google maps al right, thought it may not be accurate tho. If i can get to work within an hour i am happy. I will post again when i have done a week, it may help someone else. Much appreciated guys, thanks for your time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

If traffic is bad on the M50 (due to general rush hour or because there is an accident), a possible solution is to avoid the M50 altogether and go via the hills. That is, to head up from Dundrum/Rathfarnham towards sandyford, stepaside and kilternan and then down into shankill. It adds about 2 or 3 miles to your distance and 25 mins as against 15 mins - but the traffic is light for most of the way (and you will be going against the flow of traffic at least as far as kilternan, so no jams). I usually take a mountain route if I hear the M50 is gridlocked – I don’t mind the longer distance as I hate sitting in traffic, more then having to put in an extra few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thanks for the feedback guys, i guess i will have to do a dummy run to confirm it. but i will listen to Live Drive on Dublin City 103.2 in the morning and see. I was checking google maps al right, thought it may not be accurate tho. If i can get to work within an hour i am happy. I will post again when i have done a week, it may help someone else. Much appreciated guys, thanks for your time :-)

School holidays this week and next will reduce traffic volumes, wait til after 14th April

Advertisement