Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beta readers wanted

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Will get stuck into it tonight, hopefully will have a report tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Hey Pickarooney,

I'm enjoying it so far. What level of feedback are you looking for - overall plot, or down to individual sentences and phrasing?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anything you can, my friend, from TIHS SUCKS!!1! to the perfidious use of the semi-colon.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Can I get a copy? PM me!

Sure. Any particular format or device you want to read it on (I learned how to do different devices now :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Unfortunately I'm a luddite when it comes to E-readers, so a nice .pdf perhaps?

Edit: Can luddite be used like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Edit: Can luddite be used like that?

That depends. Do you sabotage other people's e-readers in a desperate attempt to halt the relentless march of technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'll give it a read if you've a .pdf of it handy. :)

I've been very bored recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Send over a .mobi copy my way if you can!

Does anyone feel like helping with a pitch or synopsis or whatever it is one needs to have? I haven't a clue where to start with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Does anyone feel like helping with a pitch or synopsis or whatever it is one needs to have? I haven't a clue where to start with it.

I've been browsing some other dedicated writing forums (fora?) and there are subforums dedicated to this kind of stuff on AbsoluteWrite. I think a few editors give advice on synopses, but to be honest I'm not far enough down the line to look to closely. Maybe it'd be useful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

You could also start by determining which publishers and agents you'll be targetting. They'll have submission guidelines on their web sites. I haven't seen many who require a synopsis, but I suppose it's good to have one on hand in case someone asks for it. Most ask for a brief email with sample chapters. And some submission guidelines are very specific (Tell us a bit about yourself; don't tell us about yourself, we don't care; etc.), so it could help you get started.

Yeah... no idea where to start there either. None of this post-writing thing is any fun, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I think it's safe to say the fun part is officially over. As for publishers and agents, it's just a question of doing a search for Irish and UK agents and checking out the web sites to see which might suit you and your book. If you're thinking of approaching North American agents, Quick Brown Fox posts the names of agents who are accepting submissions. The search itself will be long and boring. You should probably have vats of liquor at your disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Hey Pickarooney,
    I am in a similar position to you - looking for feedback on work and on agent/editor letter. Any chance you feel like swapping your first three chaps for mine, since they are the ones that editors generally ask for first, and critique each others work ? Then if you think you can bare to read any of mine after that...we could carry on.:D
    See what you think :)

38flowers

Yeah, sure :) PM me your e-mail and I'll send over some chapters and you can send me back yours. Let me know what file format you prefer.

If you happen to be on Authonomy I'm trying to get started on there at the minute but it's a bit daunting.

Advertisement